Show off your prints!

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Monitors are very low resolution output devices. My Dell UP2516D is 2560x1440x3 sub-pixels for the entire screen, and only aRGB.

The XP-970 is printing 1440x1440 dots per square inch (I do understand the difference between DPI vs PPI, but really irrelevant to this point). I do not know the colour gamut of this printer, but I will bet that it's wider than aRGB.

My R3880 lays down 2880x2880 dots per square inch, is 16 bit, and will print most of the visible part of the PPRGB colour space.

I attribute almost all "noise" seen on monitors as being a result of their extremely low resolution. Monitors simply cannot display smooth colour and resolution transitions, and these appear as noise.

An image has to be as noisy as anything before it even starts to show on even an A2 print. Long before this happens, lack of DR and resolution in the image will make it unusable for larger prints.

What I'm really saying is that printing doesn't 'hide' noise, monitors are displaying 'noise' that isn't really there.

I've read that how the flaws appear in print are also depends on the paper (e.g. glossy vs. matte, smooth vs. textured). I've always hated the effect of noise reduction on the screen, so I've always disabled it completely and just be more careful with sharpening. But I've also wondered if my opinion about noise reduction would change if I started printing.

I remember a few years showing my photos from Olympus C-7070WZ to a gallery/lab owner for a possible exhibition of 16x20 inch prints, he asked me how many megapixels my camera has and when I told him 7 megapixels, he just sighed, lol. With higher res and lower noise and the image stabilization of E-M1 II + 12-100mm, maximum print size probably no longer such a big concern. But I probably would print mostly at 12x16 inches anyways, and put them into 16x20-inch frames.

Based on all I've read about Epson vs. Canon printers suggest Epsons don't have to be turned on and used as frequently, they waste less ink because they don't have automatic/timed cleaning cycles, and they use ink more efficiently due to variable ink droplet size down to 1.5pL. The Epsons don't have replaceable printheads, but more effort is made to keep the nozzles clean unlike the Canons which simply switches to unused nozzles. Ink cost per mL of P900 and Pro-1000 and Pro-300 is not much different, so if I ever get a printer, it will probably be P900. The P700 is definitely out of the question because of the almost 2x ink cost per mL, which is just crazy.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
@doady , I will try to remember to answer in more detail when I turn my PC on, but Epson printers do have replaceable print heads, just not user replaceable. With three lasers positioning the print head, that's not surprising! It costs about half the price of a new printer to replace the print head on the R3880 ...

Epsons do have a user-replaceable overflow tank, even in the XP-970.

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some really nice prints in some great arrangements on the wall. So many inspiring ways to decorate. I've only printed one photo large and am rethinking what I want in a large print. We have very high ceilings and a lot of wall space, which demands more simple compositions than I'm used to.
IMG_20210315_134022.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Some really nice prints in some great arrangements on the wall. So many inspiring ways to decorate. I've only printed one photo large and am rethinking what I want in a large print. We have very high ceilings and a lot of wall space, which demands more simple compositions than I'm used to.
View attachment 878294
Geez, Steve!

It would take a team of professional cleaners several days to make my study look as neat as that! AND it's only about 5 x 3m, and wedge shaped from about half way down the 5m side.

Last time I cleaned it up, I found a fully grown female redback spider living on my desk top ...

This is what part of it looked like when tidy ...

E-30_JAK_2011-P3164423_Ew.jpg

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Geez, Steve!

It would take a team of professional cleaners several days to make my study look as neat as that! AND it's only about 5 x 3m, and wedge shaped from about half way down the 5m side.

Last time I cleaned it up, I found a fully grown female redback spider living on my desk top ...

This is what part of it looked like when tidy ...

View attachment 878297
We moved from a messy house in New York to a larger apartment in Valencia a year ago, and we threw away at least 50% of the stuff we had in the move. In hindsight, we realized that at least half our house mortgage was paid to warehouse horded junk we never used. Back then, I would have been embarrassed to show you my messy home office and am kind of chuffed to be able to share it with you now...

Never had a redback spider in my house... what a thrill that must be to discover. Did you take a macro shot of it?

Phocal

God
A 40x30 and 30x20 prints I had done by Mpix Pro. The 40x30 is on glossy paper and the 30x20 on a metallic paper.

39223044394_9df63701f5_o.jpg
Recent Prints 001 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

A series of gator photos I printed on my Epson P800 using a metallic canvas. These are all around 17" long and 11ish high.

51043279731_db843f3706_o.jpg
IMG_2106 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Last weekend been busy installing a new picture frame system in our kitchen (and painted the wall etc). I am happy with the result. Actually, my girl is happy with the result ?
we’ll add at least two more rows. It’s however a true test of patience. Ok with me, I’m quit patient, but you’ll need a lot of it.

I think it’s a Dutch company, mainly focussed on other European countries.
https://www.artiteq.com/en/
They also have some cool led lighted frames. Those are a bit expensive though :whistling:

C745AA0F-F2C1-4BE9-AF0E-C629537A8023.jpeg

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Got an A3 print done of a recent shot with the 5iii and 100-400 Oly. The lab girl recommended a "titanium finish" paper (whatever that is!) and the colours in the cloud layers look beaut ! I probably should have gone up another size.

IMG_20210419_185833322-01.jpeg

And a cheaper 12x18 print of a moonshot, also with the 100-400.

IMG_20210419_185841833-01.jpeg

In a way, Printing is becoming my 1st line of defence against GAS. In print, the "noise" in the oof, darker areas just adds a lovely filmic texture. It's only in specific use situations that I think I'd ever need more than mft - in my case, sports , where I'm thinking of returning to Dslr's. And that's nothing much to do with Image Quality, it's more the suitability of the tool(s) or plain fun (I'd still like an Xpro3 or Leica M9 for their style, layouts and methods of working) .

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Ordered new A3 Glossy paper, I have only Luster paper of this size, off Amazon yesterday. Arrived today, it got me excited about printing large again, jt I was a bit weary about it because it's cheap 3rd party one...
20210508_193539.jpg

It came out a lot better then I expected or even hoped, especially with the colours of my new (well, 2nd hand) Panny Leica 15mm f 1.7.
This one will absolutly go up in a frame and hang 'till dead :p

I can't wait to make more of them's.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Got an A3 print done of a recent shot with the 5iii and 100-400 Oly. The lab girl recommended a "titanium finish" paper (whatever that is!) and the colours in the cloud layers look beaut ! I probably should have gone up another size.

View attachment 883955

My wife liked this one and asked if we could do a bigger version. No frame as yet, but I had an A1 print done today. You can't get the "platinum" paper at this size so it looks slightly different than the smaller version. But where I thought the Em5iii file might start to be stretched at this size, it's no problem, even viewed closely.

I cropped to 5/4 (I much prefer 5/4, 4/3 etc in portrait to 3/2 ), outputted the Raw from DXO PL 3 using bicubic interpolation with a long edge of 30 inches, took the file to an old version of Photoshop to increase the canvas size for the white border, applied another crop at A1 ratio and resized to precisely 594 x 841mm.

IMG_20210515_164925193-01.jpeg

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
It's past 01:00 right now .... I think I lost my marbles:

20210531_011406.jpg

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
Did some framing a couple of evenings ago. Had some prints made on Hahnemühle Photorag, my favorite paper thus far. Though I'm a bit curious about baryta papers, but I don't believe the shop I use (and trust) for printing carries any.

Anyhow, not finished yet in this image. But these are to be hung on our dining room walls with "four seasons" theme. A season for every corner of the room. Spring and winter now done, summer needs custom made passepartouts.

Attachments

• P1060903.jpg
    P1060903.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 74

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
In a way, Printing is becoming my 1st line of defence against GAS.
This here is a point I feel also. I just had a bunch of photos printed, including the ones I just posted. Two of the posted ones are taken with my MFT setup, while one is taken with my FF kit. For everything to be perfectly ironic, the one with the most challenging light has been taken with the GX80 paired with the Lumix 12-32 pancake zoom, instead of my EOS R and the RF 24-105 f/4 L. Still, it doesn't make it any less enjoyable of an image. Yes, I can see the softness in the details from the cheap pancake lens if I go too close, but on the wall it's a joy to the eye.

But there's one more point to printing your images and hanging them to your walls, and this is something that many a photographer - including the youtube ones - have already pointed out. It makes you look at them differently, and judge them in a different light. Instead of pixel peeping, it makes you appreciate the more important aspects of photography. Content is king, paired with light, and technicalities are the icing.

And to me this all is a bit funny, since I'm a child of the late film era. All of my early "work" (=call it an excercise) was on film and print, even had my own darkroom. And yet I'm as guilty as anyone of pixel peeping and worrying about things that in the end are nothing but icing on the cake that is the final image printed on paper. Be it inkjet or chromogenic...

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Even though I got into photography because of digital, I've always preferred looking at photos in magazine or books. To get a big new photo printer would probably help me as a photographer more than any new lens, but the cost of ink and paper is hard to justify if printing only for myself. So maybe GAS is the only option for now.

Phocal

God
Even though I got into photography because of digital, I've always preferred looking at photos in magazine or books. To get a big new photo printer would probably help me as a photographer more than any new lens, but the cost of ink and paper is hard to justify if printing only for myself. So maybe GAS is the only option for now.
I highly recommend getting a printer. There is something magical about printing your own images and hanging them on your wall.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Doady, one of the benefits of an A3 printer is that A3 art folders are (relatively) cheap compared with A2 ones.

jayweh32

Mu-43 Regular
I bought my canon pixma pro 100 new online for $150. Purchased canon inks when they were running specials which they basically give you years of supply of paper for kits of ink you buy. Then I transferred a all my catridges to precision colors. I have 250 13x9 sheets, 500 8.5x11, 1000 4x6 and bulk supply of precision ink. I'm all in for roughly $500, now it is a dye printer but I have prints from 5-6 years ago with minimal fading. I will print a photo book once a year with images I need superb archive quality.

Highlander

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard Correale
Also I hope participants will give details about who, where and how as far as the print processing goes as this is something I would like to do. There is a guy here on mu4/3 that has a print shop and shoots 4/3's.
Hope you're referring to me and if not, you should be. I use a 44" Epson Stylus Pro 9900 and Epson Ultrachrome High Dynamic Range 11 color ink set with a dedicated green and orange ink. My main focus is reproducing paintings for artists but I do plenty of printing for photographers as well. I stock canvas media and two different types of fine art paper, one has a slight texture to it and the other is smooth. All my media comes from Breathing Color and is manufactured by them here in the U.S. and is rated best in industry. Anyone can upload their image to my web site, no cost or obligation to purchase and you can then see sizes and pricing. Link in my signature.

Last edited:

Phocal

God
Sneak peek at my current print project

B1B65900-EB1E-49A8-9865-DAFC4F19A7C6.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom