Show off your prints!

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I've started some very basic printing , just to get a feel for it. It's certainly nice to hang something you've taken on a wall.

One thing it has shown me is that noise is largely overstated in print. It's the digital medium that shows it up, but on paper and at useful viewing distances it seems to vanish.

Anyway, below are a few crappy phone pics of photos I've framed .

Hobart Harbour, Gx8 with 15PL. It's a cheap 30x20 frame, I sized the photo in 16x9 ratio and simply set the canvas size to 30x20 for a straight print.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Train Station. G85 with 30/1.4 Sigma (iirc). This is an ikea frame, somewhat weird sizing. The print is a 50cm x 40cm.

Creek flowing. A recent one with the Em5iii and 75/1.8 . I need to print this again with the whole thing boosted by roughly 1/2 stop, it printed darker than I expected and whilst it looks great once you get up closer, it doesn't quite jump at you from a distance. Again, same unusual print size as previous one.

Old Shack. G85 and Sigma 30/1.4 . This one was previously in the creek frame, but we wanted matching portrait orientation and monochrome. I really like the oversaturated colours in this one. So I need another frame. It's resting on a new 20x30 frame (same as the Hobart Harbour) but I haven't decided what to put in it yet.

All up, they probably average around fifty dollars each. The challenge for me is finding/taking photos good enough to justify spending more on them. I'm often not that happy with my results, lol.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Nice, Jason.

@saladin Only extreme noise shows in print IME.

Monitor noise comes from the fact that even high resolution monitors are very low resolution output devices.

Mine are 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 PPI. My Epson R3880 is 2880x2880 dots per square inch.

Because of this massive difference in resolution, transitions between pixels/dots appear as noise on the monitor, whereas that gradation is extremely smooth on a print.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Another 20x30 print with the subject in 16:9. It's going into a cheap frame, but the print looks great. Em5 Mark iii and 40-150 kit zoom.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom