Show off road adventures

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
When I go to the National Parks, Monumnets, and other adventure areas, I often see people who go off the paved road. Their vehicles are covered with dust, mud, or dirt.

Photography is often done in remote areas of the wild. Please share your off road adventures.

Below a shot off CA 168 a few miles NE of Big Pine CA. I pulled on to a dirt road for several miles to see where it would take me.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Below a shot of my Subaru among the Farabee Rental Jeeps at the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley National Park.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Do we count old Rallycross images as off-road? This is my old 2001 Impreza RS - an old picture from 2010 when I still lived in Portland, OR

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Great idea for a thread!

I bought this 35 year old virgin recently so I can get better access for photographing our local wildflowers. People keep telling me these are unboggable, and I sure hope they're right!

1983 Daihatsu F20 Scat (aka TAFT - short for Tough Almighty Four-wheel drive Transport), deluxe edition, only driven 5,000km from new. Yeehaw!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Great idea for a thread!

I bought this 35 year old virgin recently so I can get better access for photographing our local wildflowers. People keep telling me these are unboggable, and I sure hope they're right!

1983 Daihatsu F20 Scat (aka TAFT - short for Tough Almighty Four-wheel drive Transport), deluxe edition, only driven 5,000km from new. Yeehaw!

View attachment 671709
That is one nice machine. Great score.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

The GX470 is our current off-road exploration machine. It is a surprisingly good off-roader for what is basically an old luxury SUV - it helps that while it was sold as a Lexus here, it was sold as a Land Cruiser Prado (without the fancy interior) elsewhere in the world. This image is somewhere in Coyote Canyon in the Anza Borrego desert. That old brute is really good at river crossings.

To be fair tho, I think it is too big. It is also used as a backup family car and long-distance car for my wife, but since we need to buy something for my daughter, we might end up selling it and getting a smaller exploration machine.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
View attachment 671921

The GX470 is our current off-road exploration machine. It is a surprisingly good off-roader for what is basically an old luxury SUV - it helps that while it was sold as a Lexus here, it was sold as a Land Cruiser Prado (without the fancy interior) elsewhere in the world. This image is somewhere in Coyote Canyon in the Anza Borrego desert. That old brute is really good at river crossings.

To be fair tho, I think it is too big. It is also used as a backup family car and long-distance car for my wife, but since we need to buy something for my daughter, we might end up selling it and getting a smaller exploration machine.
That's a nice SUV for adventure in luxury comfort. That is one long sandy drive over some challenging terrain. I've done the short Fonts Point drive for the sunset pics. The sculptures at Borrego Springs at night was another one I marked off the bucket list.

Thanks for sharing your adventure photo. Looking forward to seeing more of your adventures in the future.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
View attachment 671925

That's my boss next to the rental Ford Escape that we took around 10 miles into the Sonoran Desert National Monument. I probably would not have crossed some of the washouts that he was willing to try.
Thanks for posting, I've never seem much photos of this area, but it will be on my bucket list of places to off road. The sunsets mus be amazing. And, that's pretty brave to take a rental off road. I understand they often don't allow off roading, and any damage to the car will be on the customer.

Strangely, in California there is a company called Farabee's, that rent Jeep Wrangelrs for off roading in Death Valley, and they all have Utah licence plates. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting, I've never seem much photos of this area, but it will be on my bucket list of places to off road. The sunsets mus be amazing. And, that's pretty brave to take a rental off road. I understand they often don't allow off roading, and any damage to the car will be on the customer.

Strangely, in California there is a company called Farabee's, that rent Jeep Wrangelrs for off roading in Death Valley, and they all have Utah licence plates. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
It's funny that you think the rental agency knew the vehicle was going into the desert. ;) It was risky, but everything turned out alright.

It really was a beautiful area to explore. I highly recommend it if you are in western AZ.

As for sunset:

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Since we are going back in time, This is actually me driving in my old 1991 BMW 318i sometime in 2008 or so - My wife got tired of me taking her Subaru and getting it back to her dirty, so I had to drive my RWD BMW instead. It was pretty slow compared to all the AWD cars, but it was tons of fun. I really loved this car, but someone ran into it at some point and totaled it - so I got the Subaru above. The Subaru was much faster in the dirt, but I think this one was more fun to drive - a lot of sliding, it rarely went where it was pointed - had to do a lot of left-foot braking to get it around corners - at some point I got a set of Blizzak snow tires - and it was pretty decent with those.

When I was not running or working the course, I used to try to take some images too, but my camera at the time was pretty lousy.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
View attachment 672192

Since we are going back in time, This is actually me driving in my old 1991 BMW 318i sometime in 2008 or so - My wife got tired of me taking her Subaru and getting it back to her dirty, so I had to drive my RWD BMW instead. It was pretty slow compared to all the AWD cars, but it was tons of fun. I really loved this car, but someone ran into it at some point and totaled it - so I got the Subaru above. The Subaru was much faster in the dirt, but I think this one was more fun to drive - a lot of sliding, it rarely went where it was pointed - had to do a lot of left-foot braking to get it around corners - at some point I got a set of Blizzak snow tires - and it was pretty decent with those.

When I was not running or working the course, I used to try to take some images too, but my camera at the time was pretty lousy.
Sounds like fun, and the photos are pretty good.

steve500

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve

Cheating a little bit... My Pre-MFT days. A7rii + Rokinon 14mm f2.8 cruising in the Utah San Rafael Desert with a friend.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gentle off-roading round bush tracks in our local sandy scrub. Love this Scat so much!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom