Show: Musical Instruments

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
A viola da gamba by Peter Tourin, 1985

Overall, D600, Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 PC; 0.5 sec, f/5.6
_DSC8964m43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tooled pegbox
_HFB4356m43.jpg

_HFB4357m43.jpg

_HFB4360m43.jpg

Fingerboard, figured ebony; pegs, macassar ebony
_HFB4359m43.jpg

Real Name
Walter
A gorgeous acoustic guitar made for me by my old friend Milton Yamashita (www.kulaguitars.com). Specs: Solid AAA spruce top, Cuban mahogany back and sides from Manoa valley, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, bridge, peghead face veneer, and heel cap, curly koa rosette, back peghead veneer, and trim, curly maple binding. Gotoh machines. Just beautiful.

I took the photos in my friend's makeshift home studio in his garage. Came out pretty well. EM1.2 w/12-100.

48033502351_60ae0f5b63_k.jpg

48033551633_61897e0c2c_k.jpg

If you want to see more photos, they're in the Flickr album.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/dg7X12

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Traveling with a lute to a 19th c. inn (which has settled into a state in which the concepts of plumb and level are merely just so many unmet desiderata) that hosts a long-running jazz club. Can you say cognitive dissonance? ;)

Updated the photo. Some of the noise reduction bugged me.

_HFB4544-Edit-Edit-Editm43.jpg

Last edited:

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
Traveling with a lute
Ah ! Do you play it ? Not from tablature though, it would seem. I studied lute at the Royal Conservatory at The Hague. I still have four instruments, not played anymore now, mind you. You have me surprised !

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Ah ! Do you play it ? Not from tablature though, it would seem. I studied lute at the Royal Conservatory at The Hague. I still have four instruments, not played anymore now, mind you. You have me surprised !
It is my wife that plays the fingerboard instruments, and, yes, she is learning tablature. The logic of the fingerboard escapes me. Give me a simple instrument.

_DSC2383.jpg

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
I studied lute at the Royal Conservatory at The Hague. I still have four instruments, not played anymore now, mind you.
Just made this. This is my 7 course renaissance lute and some of my manuscripts from the 1980's. Authentic dust ;)
GX80 + Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8 II

P1140825_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
My spouse is a collector of fine art photography and has a collection of some 20 hand signed and printed by Bert Stern who was the photographer who did Marilyn Monroe's Final Sitting. The prints which have been loaned to our local art museum in conjunction with the Staley gallery in New York contain photos of Gary Cooper, Frank Lloyd Wright, lots of Marilyn Monroe, and Louis Armstrong with others. My wife was doing a photoshoot of people imitating the celebrities in this collection and I got to be Louis Armstrong with his instrument of choice.

I should add that Louis looks much more at home with his image than I do since I do not play the instrument. During the 6 months the exhibit was shown, the art museum had actors recreate the poses in the photos. Now they grace our home and are her retirement package. In addition, the friend who sold her the prints worked with Bert Stern as a photographer, and had Bert sign his book of photos including the Marilyn sitting.
19221502_10156417884928747_7872053148743987134_o.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
My spouse is a collector of fine art photography and has a collection of some 20 hand signed and printed by Bert Stern who was the photographer who did Marilyn Monroe's Final Sitting. The prints which have been loaned to our local art museum in conjunction with the Staley gallery in New York contain photos of Gary Cooper, Frank Lloyd Wright, lots of Marilyn Monroe, and Louis Armstrong with others. My wife was doing a photoshoot of people imitating the celebrities in this collection and I got to be Louis Armstrong with his instrument of choice.

I should add that Louis looks much more at home with his image than I do since I do not play the instrument. During the 6 months the exhibit was shown, the art museum had actors recreate the poses in the photos. Now they grace our home and are her retirement package. In addition, the friend who sold her the prints worked with Bert Stern as a photographer, and had Bert sign his book of photos including the Marilyn sitting. View attachment 812377
Could we possibly see some more of the photos your wife took please?
It's just so nice to see something quite different (and that portrait of you is top quality).

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Could we possibly see some more of the photos your wife took please?
It's just so nice to see something quite different (and that portrait of you is top quality).
I will make a separate topic in portraits called "Funky portraits from my wife". I will try to explain what she was thinking and trying to show in her captures. Give me a few minutes to get her pictures transferred to me on a jump drive and to start the topic.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
GX80 + Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7

P1140914_DxO-2.jpg

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
GX80 + Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7

P1150004_DxO.jpg

P1150070_DxO.jpg

gfspencer

Mu-43 Regular
Martin Pete Seeger Baritone 12-string. The motorcycle in the background is one of my other hobbies.

Guitar & Bike.jpg

gfspencer

Mu-43 Regular
I see a row of Can-Am cars on the shelf! That looks like a Chaparral, a pair of mighty McLarens and two nearly unbeatable Porsches.
And next to the Chaparral, is that a 917?
Good eye! I used to be an SCCA/IMSA corner captain. I worked many Can-Am races. Denny Hulme flipped his McLaren in my turn at Road Atlanta in 1972.

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Regular
Good eye! I used to be an SCCA/IMSA corner captain. I worked many Can-Am races. Denny Hulme flipped his McLaren in my turn at Road Atlanta in 1972.
Denny was one of my racing heroes when I was a kid! I saw him win at Riverside in '69, '70 & '71. Then those incredible Porsches took over in '72-'73!

Latest threads

Top Bottom