Show "Motorcycles"

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
They told us to practice social distancing: I took it seriously.
Deep in a forest away from crowds, keeping it simple. Travelling light or dirt tracks on XSR900 and XSR700
I have a feeling that it was my last ride for a while before they close down all non-essential traffic.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
sleds in the mist by gnarlydog, on Flickr

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Had just been out giving SWMBO's Ninjette a little exercise. Stepped out to put it away and saw this...

Pentax K 50mm f1.2 @ f1.2

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
^^^^^
Forgive me, but "honey, somebody shrunk the SV..."

I couldn't help myself.
I love the SV650 (great engine and handling), but it's a much heavier and larger bike. The VTR250 was bought mainly for my girlfriend, beginner rider.
One day I will get a SV650, slap some chunky tires on, install some sort of engine guard and take on dirt roads. I know I could just get a V-Strom but it's not the look/feel I want

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
any Honda SLR650 or a modded venerable DR650 for the task?
nice bikes: light and reliable. But after having ridden a couple of single cylinders years ago (for about 60.000 Km) and a KTM690 recently, I no longer wish to have one for road use. I feel that twins (parallel or V) have the nicest torque curve.
The new Tenere700 is a very very nice bike, just a bit too "rally style" with that front console. If I had one I would try to remove the fairing and install a conventional headlight, old school.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@gnarlydog australia me has concluded that anything north of 180-190 kg fully full is just getting too heavy to be real fun on the comfiest of dirt roads, it starts needing too much attention! - in m43 style lightness not power is paramount ! - and some bikes however capable at the proper hands are just no constant fun in real easy-going life, a mountain week on an E750 some 23 years ago convinced me about this, oh that Ducati high rpm singing still echoes in my ears wish I had a camera back then when a friend jumping around a DR800 was registering at the nearby seismographers printouts...

by the way, how do the XSR bros cope with planted rocks in the dirt road’s bed?

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I do struggle a bit with many sport/modern standard bikes because of my short inseam. I was a triumph dealership and was trying to throw my leg over a 33 inch seat height to the dismay of the salesperson. After failing twice, I asked him if it came with a step stool.

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
@gnarlydog australia me has concluded that anything north of 180-190 kg fully full is just getting too heavy to be real fun on the comfiest of dirt roads, it starts needing too much attention! - in m43 style lightness not power is paramount ! - and some bikes however capable at the proper hands are just no constant fun in real easy-going life, a mountain week on an E750 some 23 years ago convinced me about this, oh that Ducati high rpm singing still echoes in my ears wish I had a camera back then when a friend jumping around a DR800 was registering at the nearby seismographers printouts...

by the way, how do the XSR bros cope with planted rocks in the dirt road’s bed?
the XSR is a terrible bike to ride real off-road. It does OK on not sealed roads since it's still less than 200Kg but suspension is limited to 130mm. For real off-road (4WD tracks) a longer suspension bike that is still light is best but often those bikes are lame on long pavement sections. If one just wants to play in the dirt: enduro bike on a trailer, and forget road riding.
But for me the XSR700 is a commuter and a bit of an escape machine for the weekend. I have taken it places that it certainly does not belong, but that is because I enjoy the challenge. Same places on a light/small bike it would be rather easy.

distancing by gnarlydog, on Flickr

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I do struggle a bit with many sport/modern standard bikes because of my short inseam. I was a triumph dealership and was trying to throw my leg over a 33 inch seat eight to the dismay of the salesperson. After failing twice, I asked him if it cam with a step stool.
if one is not after super powerful bikes there are several offerings that accommodate for shorter riders. If a sport bike is desired Ducati makes one of the smallest ones (low seats). But if lower one is needed still I am afraid a cruiser might be the only option (disclosure: I don't like them)

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
if one is not after super powerful bikes there are several offerings that accommodate for shorter riders. If a sport bike is desired Ducati makes one of the smallest ones (low seats). But if lower one is needed still I am afraid a cruiser might be the only option (disclosure: I don't like them)
I have a Road King, but we also bought one of the new Honda Rebels. It has the same 500 cc parallel twin as the CBR just detuned a bit for more low end torque. It’s a fun bike, especially for $7k new.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After failing twice, I asked him if it cam with a step stool.
I am sure this was not happening only in the greek MX championship races in the old days:
One of the top dogs always used a small stool to be able to properly balance the bike during the race starts and launch straight as the taller contenders did. I have personally witnessed small guys doing wonders that I could never do with really tall trail bikes but for casual starting and stopping city traffic it would be a chore for sure.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom