Show "Motorcycles"

uraldog

Mu-43 Rookie
My Bonneville

I like to call my bike a budget black Bonnie, since it's the most fun I've gotten out of a new bike for around 6 grand. I even added the seat fairing and mirrors for few hundred more.
I've only had my G1 for a week or so and I think I lost my mind, because I ordered a GF1 with the 20mm in a late night Amazon shopping spree! I think I will enjoy both cameras as I see several forum members with the same setup.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular
The CBX thou, that's the bike that planted the seed for me. My step brother had one when I was a kid in the 80's and I used to help him and my step dad work on it.
:smile:

Never seen one with bodywork on though, pretty sure the euro models didn't have any.

Here's my latest toy, the Superduke.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes the late models all had body work like mine. The European models had lower bars and the footpegs were further back.

The 79 model was known as the beast as it was the fastest and most collectible.

The 80 model had milder cams and some carb changes to give it more torque so it was not as fast as the 79. The 80 also had a smaller chain, better forks and shocks and a small trunk opening for a place to put your gloves. The fact that it was slower than the 79 and with all the new big fours coming out around the same time doomed the 80 model to be a hard sell.

The 81 and 82 models were revamped with better forks, a monoshock rear suspension, fairings, saddlebags and crashbars. They tried to make it into a fast touring bike, but competition from all the new Japanese liquid cooled touring bikes doomed it to sit in showrooms. It is the most comfortable though and that's why I have one.

Thousands went unsold and Honda wound up giving them away to mechanic schools all over the US with the stipulation that they would never be titled. Some they even cut off the front of the frames with a torch to make sure no one would ride them. Now you see them turn up all the time brand new, still in the crate with zero miles. They are not impossible to title and a new one will bring 10k pretty easy. A zero mile 79 will bring over 20k easy.

Most people will convert them into cafe racers now if they ride them, otherwise, they sit to be admired.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2RnqCFF5cs]YouTube - RICK'S CUSTOM 1980 HONDA CBX[/ame]

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular
Yes the late models all had body work like mine. The European models had lower bars and the footpegs were further back.

The 79 model was known as the beast as it was the fastest and most collectible.

The 80 model had milder cams and some carb changes to give it more torque so it was not as fast as the 79. The 80 also had a smaller chain, better forks and shocks and a small trunk opening for a place to put your gloves. The fact that it was slower than the 79 and with all the new big fours coming out around the same time doomed the 80 model to be a hard sell.

The 81 and 82 models were revamped with better forks, a monoshock rear suspension, fairings, saddlebags and crashbars. They tried to make it into a fast touring bike, but competition from all the new Japanese liquid cooled touring bikes doomed it to sit in showrooms. It is the most comfortable though and that's why I have one.

Thousands went unsold and Honda wound up giving them away to mechanic schools all over the US with the stipulation that they would never be titled. Some they even cut off the front of the frames with a torch to make sure no one would ride them. Now you see them turn up all the time brand new, still in the crate with zero miles. They are not impossible to title and a new one will bring 10k pretty easy. A zero mile 79 will bring over 20k easy.

Most people will convert them into cafe racers now if they ride them, otherwise, they sit to be admired.
You obviously know your six cylinders. :smile:

When I make my fortune the cbx will definately be one of my projects, right after the US style flat tracker custom and the RC45.

Euro model.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
My second CBX was a silver 79. Sold her in 2003.

Herman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Rebel meets Harley

John Jarosz

Mu-43 Regular
I currently have Harley Sportster mufflers on the BMW, and darned if it doesn't sound like the Trident, even though the Triumph has 3 cylinders and the BMW is two. Thanks

john

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
and here's my 1985 G/S Paris Dakar at the start of it's semi-restoration - (again sold a year ago because of our move from the UK)

at one time I was a BMW "nut" - Bikes and bits of Bikes were all over the place - I darn't tell you how many I had - and a third of them were "in bits"

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom