show Motion Blur & Panning shots

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
One of my goals this year is to really improve my motion / panning skills. I've narrowed down one piece of gear that needs to improve to do this: the photographer! I really struggle tracking smoothly, especially right when it's most important. I find that when I rotate my torso along with a moving car, I need to speed up the rate of rotation when the car is in front of me (obviously), but I tend to lag behind at that point. So, I'll try to keep the focus point on the side-view mirror (for example), and when the car is right where I want to capture the photo I'll find my focus point drifting back to the rear door. I tend to get some reasonable shots before and after the car is right in front of me, but blur at the critical moment. I assume the most important thing by far is practice, and maybe genetically improve my hand/eye coordination, but are there any additional pointers from anyone?

Below are a couple practice shots from today, and a shot of my son doing Parkours from yesterday:

View attachment 712599 View attachment 712600 View attachment 712601
I plant my feet in the direction I'm going to end up, so my upper body is sort of "unwinding" as I pan with the car. But the best tip I saw for improving my panning shots...… ND filter! Massive depth of field doesn't help with creating blur/subject separation.

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom