Show "Micro 4/3 Camera P*rn"

Real Name
Nic
E-P1, on the kitchen table.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5480229459/" title="IMG_2851-PPR2 Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">
5480229459_71d223c679_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"1024" height="576" alt="IMG_2851-PPR2 Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3" /></a>

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Just dinkin' around...

P1020971comp2.jpg

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Age and Beauty

Age and beauty.....

dual_controls.jpg

travisennis

Mu-43 Regular
DHart said:
While not a sleek and "fashionable" diva, beauty is as beauty does. ;-)

This little jewel performs like a superstar!

Image created with GF-1 and Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 lens.

As nice as this one is, I'd like to see that Zeiss Planar on the GF-1.

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
and ... in russ meyer style

argus_c3_cam02.jpg

[ gf1 | 14-45 ]

Oh my GOD!!!.......that was my first camera (not counting the Brownie). :rolleyes:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
As nice as this one is, I'd like to see that Zeiss Planar on the GF-1.

travis... ask and you shall receive, my friend... :wink:

GF-1 and Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 lens.

Image created with Panasonic Lumix LX5 w/ Leica Vario-Summicron Aspherical 5.1-19.2mm f/2.0-3.3 lens

P1000239comp.jpg

I just got the LX5 yesterday and decided to capitalize on its small sensor's wonderfully deep DOF that, in cases like this, comes in very handy indeed. Wonderful little "PnS".

I'm very much of a dyed-in-the-wool, shallow DOF kind of guy, but there are many times when I'm doing product shots that need deep DOF and I have a heck of a time getting that with my 5DMkII, even with my m4/3 cameras... I have to stop down so far that diffraction cuts into my sharpness. That's part of the reason why I keep a camera like the LX5 around. For the easy-to-get, deep DOF. :smile:

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran

That's an impressive piece of glass. How's the contrast with this lens? I have tried several MD lenses on my GF-1, but they all lack contrast (I suspect due to scattering because of the light projected next to the sensor).

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
GF-1 + PL45

I'll add one of mine, too. Went shopping with girlfriend number 1 last week, and bought her a sexy Leica D&G.

P1030247_copy.jpg

travisennis

Mu-43 Regular

It is a very nice looking lens. I think those Contax Zeiss lenses look very nice on the Panasonic bodies. I know that is a relatively large lens, but it doesn't look too big on the GF-1. Of course, I thank the angle from which you took the image might have some part to play in that.

Since you granted my last request, is there any chance you might start a sample image thread for that lens?

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
The image of the 85/1.4 on the GF-1 was greatly influenced, of course, by the angle and lens perspective I shot with... Making the lens appear especially large relative to the camera. Nonetheless, it is a relatively large and heavy lens. I bought the lens for one specific purpose. As a professional photographer I do a lot of portrait work, nearly all of it with 5DMkII and 70-200 f/2.8 L lens, shot wide open at f/2.8. That gives me my "signature" look with strong subject isolation, very shallow DOF, and vivid bokeh.

Since adding m4/3 cameras to my gear I decided I would try to achieve my signature look with m4/3. With the m4/3 sensor size, I need a lens quite a bit faster than f/2.8 and about 85mm to achieve a similar look to the 70-200/2.8 L on the 5DMkII. Therefore, I choose the 85/1.4 for this purpose. I don't plan to use the lens for much general shooting with my m4/3.

As for contrast, when shooting wide open there is less contrast and slightly less sharpness than when stopping down even 1 stop. This is true of nearly all very fast lenses. The contrast can easily be bumped a bit in post and to some degree so can the sharpness. Or one can stop down to 1.8 or 2.0 where sharpness and contrast pop back up and overall look of the image isn't changed much. I never shoot JPG, only shoot RAW, because I want total control of the image and maximum quality. LR3 provides superb tools for this... I absolutely love LR.

I recently got the lens and this time of year I am doing little portrait work, so not many examples yet. Here is a quickly done test image with the lens, just to see how close I could come to achieving my signature portrait look with GH2 and the 85/1.4. I am extremely happy with the result and have no doubt this lens and camera could be used as a substitute "portrait kit" for my 5DMkII and 70-200/2.8L, if desired.

View attachment 158390

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
That's a great image....love it

Image created with Panasonic Lumix LX5 w/ Leica Vario-Summicron Aspherical 5.1-19.2mm f/2.0-3.3 lens

P1000239comp.jpg

I just got the LX5 yesterday and decided to capitalize on its small sensor's wonderfully deep DOF that, in cases like this, comes in very handy indeed. Wonderful little "PnS".

I'm very much of a dyed-in-the-wool, shallow DOF kind of guy, but there are many times when I'm doing product shots that need deep DOF and I have a heck of a time getting that with my 5DMkII, even with my m4/3 cameras... I have to stop down so far that diffraction cuts into my sharpness. That's part of the reason why I keep a camera like the LX5 around. For the easy-to-get, deep DOF. :smile:

Real Name
Nic
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5485443986/" title="IMG_2868-PPR2 Olympus Pen E-P1 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">
5485443986_c344968272_b.jpg
"1024" height="768" alt="IMG_2868-PPR2 Olympus Pen E-P1" /></a>

travisennis

Mu-43 Regular
DHart said:
The image of the 85/1.4 on the GF-1 was greatly influenced, of course, by the angle and lens perspective I shot with... Making the lens appear especially large relative to the camera. Nonetheless, it is a relatively large and heavy lens. I bought the lens for one specific purpose. As a professional photographer I do a lot of portrait work, nearly all of it with 5DMkII and 70-200 f/2.8 L lens, shot wide open at f/2.8. That gives me my "signature" look with strong subject isolation, very shallow DOF, and vivid bokeh.

Since adding m4/3 cameras to my gear I decided I would try to achieve my signature look with m4/3. With the m4/3 sensor size, I need a lens quite a bit faster than f/2.8 and about 85mm to achieve a similar look to the 70-200/2.8 L on the 5DMkII. Therefore, I choose the 85/1.4 for this purpose. I don't plan to use the lens for much general shooting with my m4/3.

As for contrast, when shooting wide open there is less contrast and slightly less sharpness than when stopping down even 1 stop. This is true of nearly all very fast lenses. The contrast can easily be bumped a bit in post and to some degree so can the sharpness. Or one can stop down to 1.8 or 2.0 where sharpness and contrast pop back up and overall look of the image isn't changed much. I never shoot JPG, only shoot RAW, because I want total control of the image and maximum quality. LR3 provides superb tools for this... I absolutely love LR.

I recently got the lens and this time of year I am doing little portrait work, so not many examples yet. Here is a quickly done test image with the lens, just to see how close I could come to achieving my signature portrait look with GH2 and the 85/1.4. I am extremely happy with the result and have no doubt this lens and camera could be used as a substitute "portrait kit" for my 5DMkII and 70-200/2.8L, if desired.

Lovely image. The lens is very sharp with nice bokeh and the effect is stunning.

intense

Mu-43 Rookie
Mustn't forget THE best (looking) m4/3 lens in the business!

M Zuiko 17mm f2.8 Pancake

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5453464172/" title="P1301735-PPR Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">
5453464172_c098c29087_b.jpg
"1024" height="768" alt="P1301735-PPR Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3" /></a>

I agree with you. It will be my next lens!

Latest threads

Top Bottom