Show me your starbursts (particularly from the Olympus 12mm f2.0)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Photon, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Photon

Photon New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2012
    I am thinking of purchasing a micro 4/3 camera to replace my Pentax DSLR; particularly since it sounds like Olympus is coming out with a weather sealed body. One of the Pentax lenses I really like is the DA15 limited. This lens has the ability to produce beautiful starbursts without any flare when stopped down (see links below for examples).

The 15mm Limited controls my mind - club - Page 184 -

Mainz - Starbursts on the Theodor Heuss Bridge at Night | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (not the DA 15, but nice starbursts)

I think the ability to create these starbursts can give some photos an artistic touch; however, when I looked at photos from micro 4/3 cameras I had a hard time finding any shots containing starbursts.

The micro 4/3 lens that seems to match it the closest is the Olympus 12 f2.0. I am very interested in seeing what kind of starbursts it can create. I am also interested in seeing the starbursts any other micro 4/3 lenses can create. Plus it is fun to look at starrburst shots (at least I think it is fun, maybe I don't have adequate excitement in my life).

So, post those starburst shots (and the lens used :smile:).
  2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Quality glass doesn't diffract light into starbursts. You can add a starburst filter quite cheaply to any lens to create the effect.

For the Oly 12mm, I'd consider:
    This B+W star filter.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You already answered your own question. Stopping down a lens to a really tiny aperture is what creates these starbursts. Any camera system can do it.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Here's a sunburst from the 'Sonic 20mm at f/4:

Here's an, erm, bulbburst with the Oly 45mm at f/11:

Both with the GF1. Second one was at ISO 1600 and grunged up considerably.
  5. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Four Thirds mount 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 at 14mm f/16

<a href="" title="O'Sullivan Beach sunset small by Retro.Boy.07, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="O'Sullivan Beach sunset small"></a>
    • Like Like x 3
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    That simply isn't true - heaps of very high quality glass diffracts to starbursts if used correctly. One particular charactaristic of some quality modern lenses - rounded aperture blades - doesn't lend itself to starbursts.

This also isn't entirely true... First, you don't need to stop down to achieve starbusts - the Nokton images below are all wider than f8 and I've found that lens to produce it's best defined starbursts at f5.6. Second, saying that 'any system can do it' ignores the amount of difference between different lenses and systems - yes, any system can do starbursts, but some do it much better than others :smile:

For the OP, its important to understand that good starbursts are dependant on more than just the base quality of the lens... Things like atmospheric conditions (any cloud or haze will make starbursts fuzzy and indistinct), the condition and quality of the lens' front element and coating (they have to be spotless) and the contrast of the scene (having the light source framed by a hard edged object helps considerably) will make a huge difference.

Here's a few from the CV Nokton 25/f0.95 - probably the highest quality glass I've had the pleasure of using.

Lumix G 20/f1.7

Lumix G 14/f2.5

SMC Pentax-K 50/f1.2 (adapted)

SMC Pentax-M 50/f1.4 (adapter)
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Here's one from the Leica 45 Macro: not the sun, but still (flash)
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    f/5.6 - f/8 is significantly stopped down for a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/0.95... :rolleyes: Of course the sweet spot is going to be different for every lens, but it still needs to be stopped down.
  9. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
  10. Photon

Photon New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2012
    Thank you for posting everybody. I had figured it was possible to get good starburst type pattern with micro 4/3 lenses, but I just could not find many examples (it makes you start to wonder). It seems as if flair is pretty well controlled as well, which is a good thing.
  11. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I don't actually like the starbursting effect. I think it is really distracting and quite frankly looks bad. Is there any way to prevent it from happening? My 20mm Panasonic does it all the time when I take shots at night.
  12. Photon

Photon New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2012
    In some photos they can look brilliant, and in others they could be distracting.

I am fairly sure the effect will go away if you keep your aperture wide open (so lower f-stops), as starbursts are cause by diffraction and the corners that are formed by stopped down aperture blades. I believe diffraction starts at around f8-f10 on micro 4/3 cameras, so I would not expect to see the effect below these numbers (but I could be wrong).

I will have to look up the exact physics behind them sometime.
  13. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Lots of little starbursts, with a Pentax f1.7 50mm at f8 or so:

• Like Like x 1
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Panasonic 14-45mm @ 45mm f11, fitted to an E-PL1

15. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    You know, A LOT of these photos have turned me around on starbursts (see my previous negative post)!!! Many of them are very, very beautiful. Kudos to all you fans! Perhaps I just can't use them right to make them look good.

And I realized that, in order to use slow shutter speeds with the aperture wide open, one can use an ND filter and avoid starbursts...
  16. DiskMan101

DiskMan101 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City

Here's one for ya ;-)

Attached Files:

17. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
  18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Okay, not full burst, but it is fun to point the 12mm into the sun to see what you get:

<a href="" title="ice road by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"528" height="640" alt="ice road"></a>