1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Show me your OOC photos

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by tardegardo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    The forum is full of beautiful images shot with this or that lens, and most of these pictures are really amazing, but most times they are heavily retouched….
    What about posting here the photos you take with your µ4/3 cameras and lenses without any post process?

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm guessing this rules out raw files?

3. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    No, I think Raw is fine;
    files only need to come straight out of the camera….

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I look forward to seeing the OOC from various cameras, after all this is what many people use all the time. I think we should recognise that cameras have many user set options for jpgs which will have influenced the result so it would be useful to know what these settings are.

I still remain a raw shooter as I enjoy post production but this isn't everyone's cup of tea.

5. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I think that the raw files would be too big to display on a forum, think of the bandwidth it would use.

6. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Well, heavy files can be reduced…
    it's up to you guys, by the way.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Tardegardo I understand your approach but post processing is probably the thing that differs the pro and serious amature from the rest of the photographers crowd.

In my shooting flow I have three stages
    1. Pick the subject and frame it, take as many pictures as I need.
    2. Select the best shots, delete the bad ones.
    3. Process the best shots for publishing.

Before the digital era this process would require deep pockets and would be used only by pro. Today we all enjoy the freedom to process in almost zero cost, I love it. This processing improve the way I shot and brings new opportunities in shooting style. One may consider it for cheating, I see it at as extending our abilities to create interesting shots.

Tardegardo looking into RAW processing where do you think we need to stop in the processing ? Is contrast and exposure compensation are OK ? White balance ?
    As Iconindustries pointed every RAW file need processing therefore the approach of not processing has its limitation in site like ours.
    JPG from the camera is always processed, it just does not controlled by the photographer, and thus suites the PS snap shooters.

Rarely when I get OOC zero processing shot and I publish it.
    For example

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73403162@N00/8138524716/" title="P1060596.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8138524716_94f2d778e9_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1060596.jpg"></a>

This got zero processing OOPS after I have checked Lightroom history I extended clarity a bit :wink:
    Sorry I am probably a picture processing addict.

8. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    full color ooc

[​IMG]

[ GF1 with Lumix 14/45 @ 24mm/f5.6 1/125 ISO400]

9. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Ok Elavon, let's do it so then: no raw, only ooc jpgs, ok?
    It is less complicated and makes more sense, maybe.
    Ah, very nice ooc shot, by the way!

• Like Like x 1
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Why do you want to see only OOC JPG?
    Is in camera art filters OK?

Please keep in mind that most of the Pana camera pictures will be inferior to the Oly because the Oly better JPG algorithm.

11. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Yes, in camera art filters are welcome!
    I have seen so many manipulated pictures here and around other forums that I need to see what these cameras can really do without external "steroids".
    I know that post processing is a normal step in the photograph step,
    but please, I am a bit old fashioned maybe, or maybe too little professional. Or maybe just too lazy to sit down for hours in front of the post processing software and retouch my pics.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

13. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Oh boy!
    No, I WANT MORE!
    ;)

(amazing pics, btw)

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Tardegardo,

I was in your shoes till I got Lightroom (Came free with the G2). I have tested it on few bad phone photos and some old JPG made on Canon G5 super zoom and suddenly I got WOW effect. Those pictures suddenly got contrast and colour.

I suggest for you to invest the time and effort and learn Lightroom, NIK or any other SW. It only takes a couple of minutes to transform a picture from OK to great. The learning curve is not big, it took me a couple of hours to learn the basics.
    Again half a year ago I would say the same as you. I want to see OOC pictures. But since I "grow up" in this hobby and know that i n order to master the process i need to get the processing out of the camera engineers and into my hand. That what the pro do, control every aspect of the picture: scene, lightning, post process... Now in the digital world, we the amateurs can get the post processing a thing that was a dream a decade ago.

16. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy

Thank you for the tip, Evalon, appreciate it.
    I already know Lightroom, and use it too sometimes. And yes, it's really impressive, the best. Too impressive maybe. So much impressive that whenever I sit in front of it I feel like cheating….
    and I know, forgive me, it's my fault. There is something wrong and pathologic with me about this :)

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Tardegardo,

do you shoot RAW? It makes a great difference in LR.

It ain't cheating I call in manipulating, and this is what artist in the picture below refers. The train engines (media and the artists) pull the crowd by manipulation and other means.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/73403162@N00/8130047741/" title="P1010707-Edit-Edit.jpg by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8130047741_776f41f1ed_b. "1024" height="768" alt="P1010707-Edit-Edit.jpg"></a>

18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  19. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Forgive me if I misunderstood your thought process here. You want to see "unprocessed" shots from camera, yet you are ok with art filters. The JPG engines on the camera is already processed in a way, and to add to that, most people who shoot JPG only already adjusted a whole bunch of settings like contrast, saturation, etc ... so I'm not sure what you are trying to see.

20. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    yes rhoy, in camera filters are ok to me.
    I am trying to to see what the cameras potentials really are;
    'cause pp potentials I know too well….