Show Home Made Photo Gear

I had the Olympus E-M1.2 and its a reasonably comfortable camera considering it's so small. To make it really comfortable I made a hand grip. I made it from brass sheet and Music wire all soldered together. Weigh's around 50g

View attachment 845875View attachment 845876View attachment 845877View attachment 845878
That looks a lot like the FOGRIP someone in the Oly 100-400 thread linked: https://stcoptics.com/en/fogripforem1mii/

I'm thinking of one of them but like my RRS plate to much. I wonder if your style of grip would fit ontop of the RRS plate for the EM1?

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
I’m incredibly impressed by the ingenuity shown here. Nicely done.
My lowly homegrown handle attachment made from a 6 in 1 screwdriver handle. Very convenient for those with big hands / small camera. I don’t do the neck strap thing (hopefully not to the camera’s eventual demise) so when I’m exploring I typically just carry the camera by this.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Plus, a legendary lens to model your mount!

Is that the 350, or the 250?
I should add that a quick way to separate the 250mm from the 350mm is the tripod foot. On the 350mm the front of the foot returns towards the body of the lens to form a handle. On the 250mm the foot runs straight ending at the wide front section of the lens.

Martin.au

New to Mu-43
Oh this looks like a fun thread!

I have a few examples.
My DIY E-M1 grips. 3D printed from Carbon Fibre infused nylon.

A custom filter holder. One-handed opening.

A compact diffuser panel for macro photography with the 60mm.

A fully gimballed ground pod.

A photogrammetry rig for 3D reconstruction of artifacts.

Lots of other things too. One of my favourite things I printed was a lens cap that uses the bayonet mounts. This leaves enough space to have a filter permanently mounted.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some battery holders similar to the AA holders i posted the other day.

Real Name
Roddy
I like a camera with me most of the time, even when I'm gardening (more digging holes and cutting down stuff than green-fingered rose planting, I hasten to add), biking and driving. I got fed up of scrabbling around in bags, and watching cameras slide off the front seat as I braked, so made myself a neck strap. Yep, a neck strap. It works for me, and something like it may work for you.

It's called Shorty. The material is a 23"/58cm length of old reticulated hosepipe. I cut a piece of pipe insulation to slide inside it for comfort and stiffness.

P8270766.JPG

I stitched a couple of PD connectors into the ends for attachment....

P8270758.JPG

.... and added a ring with a PD anchor on it to turn it into a wrist-strap when needed.

P8270759.JPG

It's stiff enough with the foam inside that I can put it on and remove it, one-handed. An attached camera sits handily below my chin, easy enough to raise to the eye but still far enough away from arms and hands that it interferes with little else. It's short enough that it does not sway from side to side, and it's become my favourite way of having a camera on me for walks, hikes and bike-rides. It is also so comfortable I forget, literally, that it is there. It might not suit a larger camera such as a G9, and it may not suit a big lens, though to be fair if I stick my wife's 14-140 on it it is still comfortable. I dislike neck straps as a rule, but Shorty is a very different story, and the ability to quickly turn it into a wrist strap makes it very useful.

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 14.12.54.png

The photos also illustrate my typical replacement of triangular split-rings, and the addition of 400lb barrel-swivels which makes straightening any strap a breeze.

P8270776.JPG

If you wonder what the ring on the left-hand swivel is for, it's to attach the camera (when it has no strap) to a carabiner on my belt when changing lenses.

Any questions, fire away!

Some battery holders similar to the AA holders i posted the other day.

View attachment 849350
Nice work, do you sell them or the stl file?

I already have hard AA holders but the Oly batteries have just lived in bandoleer style sewn loops in my bag. These would let me move them to the exterior water bottle loop. It looks like they are snug in there and even if not some felt or tweaking the printed insert could fix that. It would be nice from a packing point of view also.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice work, do you sell them or the stl file?

I already have hard AA holders but the Oly batteries have just lived in bandoleer style sewn loops in my bag. These would let me move them to the exterior water bottle loop. It looks like they are snug in there and even if not some felt or tweaking the printed insert could fix that. It would be nice from a packing point of view also.
I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll see what I can do when I get home this evening.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom