Show Home Made Photo Gear

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
I have been slowly making an angle bracket for shooting panoramas and other tripod endeavors. I had a piece of 4" X 6" X 0.5" aluminum extrusion that I used for this. The hollow recesses on the bottom and side allow the safety pin on my ball head to work. I also added a hole and a rare earth magnet to hold the hex wrench. I always have a PD Arca plate on the bottom of my cameras, so I added a Desmond Arca clamp to it. I am also planning another version of this that will be even more useful.

View attachment 765644M1025316-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 765645M1025322-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 765646M1025328-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 765647M1025331-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
Looking good. Have you made this to adjust for the nodal point of the lens?

Woah, the creativity is awesome here. I made this a few years back when I had an air, just an Intel Edison and some python for remote control of the air. You could toggle through settings and take pics over WiFi.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
I had the Olympus E-M1.2 and its a reasonably comfortable camera considering it's so small. To make it really comfortable I made a hand grip. I made it from brass sheet and Music wire all soldered together. Weigh's around 50g

_3040053.jpg
_3040035.jpg
_3040036.jpg
_3040037.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Real Name
Kelly
Here is an ideal I got from @Phocal a few years back when he was shooting gators down Texas way !!! Made from a cheap Frisby from Walmart and a 1/4x20 bolt and fender washer. Have maybe $1 invested...lol

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
There's been an awesome number of creative tripod mounts, showing off great fabrication skills.

How about lens mounts?

This is a Nikon PB-4 tilt-shift bellows. I removed the Nikon F mounts from either end, and attached a µ4/3rds mount on one end, and an Olympus OM mount on the other.

I have to admit, I "cheat" as much as possible. I don't really want to reverse-engineer a mount, even with the aid of CNC.

If you look carefully, you'll see "OM FOURTHIRDS ADAPTER" behind the lens. I also have scarfed up a number of OM 7mm extension rings for the purpose.

For the camera end, I bought a number of µ4/3rds 58mm reverse adapters. I then grind the 58mm threads off, leaving a nice flat surface for attaching to other things.

Here is some more info about the conversion.

I've also adapted the OM ring flashes to work with 4/3rds and µ4/3rds.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I wanted to use the MC-14 teleconverter with my legacy Zuiko ED lenses, but all the adapters I tried had a bit of a hump over the contacts.

So I found a router bit of the proper size, set the drill press to its slowest speed, gently padded and clamped the adapter in the cross vice, and ground the offending bit off.
_a167597-jpg.jpg

I've also tried a quarter-round wood file to do this. It still worked, but didn't look nearly so nice!

I also ground the tab off the MC-14 that keeps it from working withs some lenses — including 4/3rds adaptors — which is described here.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
The 250 is renown for being one of the very best lenses ever made.

I've longed for the chance to compare it to the 350 on a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, but I can't find anyone willing to loan or even rent one!
Despite its stellar reputation the 250mm is much less common than the 350mm. I've used/owned 4 different 350mm lenses including two of the early black versions.

I suspect that the 250mm is rarer than the 300mm f/2 Nikkor, another lens I never got to try.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Can't find the reference, but I recall seeing that there were only about 600 of the 250s made, compared to about 10,000 of the 350s.
The only 250mm lenses I remember being used were two that belonged to one of the T.V. production companies based in London, England in the mid 1980s. It was either LWT or Thames. They were used for shooting promotional stills from the back of the studio.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
COB LED light. I built this 10 watt light for illuminating bottles. Put the bottle on too and shoot. Not great. Not great as a spotlight either. Months later, use as a gel light. Black waterpipe fits onto chrome bezel with 4 magnets in a wooden ring. 50-55mm strep up ring takes filters, either round or rectangular in a holder. But today, it lights up a washing up liquid bottle. Photo posted
in WTF.

leuallen

Mu-43 Regular
I am 80 and can not walk far due to circulation problems in my legs. Therefore most of my photos are taken from the car. I take HDR and pano image frequently at dawn or sunrise so the camera has to be on a support. I did not like any of the commercial car mounts so I came up with this. Without it I would be taking far fewer pictures.

A super clamp on the window glass. Attached to the super clamp is an iron L piece with a wood extension which holds the tripod head assembly. Not too visible is a wooden post which sets on the doors arm rest and supports the bottom of the tripod assembly. When the window is lowered to the post, the whole assembly becomes very stable.

The head assembly consists of a "Z" type head at the bottom with a AcraTech leveling base on top of it. The "Z" head is needed because sometimes when the car is on a fairly steep incline, the leveling base does not have enough adjustment to level. The "Z" head is used to compensate. The "Z" will not support all that weight so I jam something in there to lock its position.

On top of the leveling base is a SunwayPhoto geared head. I tried a Benro but it was too large and awkward to use. A geared head is need for precise positioning for panos.

In the Sunway Acra clamp is a plate to which a Manfrotto RC-2 quick release base is attached. To the Manfrotto plate is another Acra Clamp to which the camera is attached. I have two of these because sometime I use a long rail with the G9 and 50-200. This clamp runs parallel to the lens. The rail is used in place of the missing tripod collar to balance the camera on the head. It makes a difference in stability and I am using long focal lengths which makes this critical. The other clamp is perpendicular to the lens and used with the L bracket and other cameras and lenses. This set up makes changes quick, important for sunrises as the sun pops up very quicky. I can take the camera off of the head to change lenses and reattach and the framing will be in the same position.

Also visible is a small level. Very handy as the cameras level indicators are not really precise enough. Notice also a cable release.

This set up is fairly expensive but I had most of the parts except for the geared head so it was not too bad. I am able to get good panos and sharp images with long shutter times.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom