Show Fog ( your basic fog thread) (oh heck, can be advanced fog too)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Photographing fog is hard...

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Photographing fog is hard...
...this took a few tries and some time in post.
P1070831 web.jpg

PC260907.JPG

sea mist
PB221270E.JPG

Last edited:

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I left my long lens at home so i had to use the Oly 75mm and crop in.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Industar 61 52mm 2.8 @f=8

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Fog? Low clouds? Is there a difference?

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Not in my books, but others may differ.
Love those top two.
The way the mist clings along the ridge and just slightly rising from it in the top on is beautiful.
Overall composition are excellent.

I like the trees too. All very pleasing l
Thanks for the compliments! I think the top picture may be an example of tree perspiration...I’ve heard that’s actually a thing.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Fog? Low clouds? Is there a difference?
The usual definition is fog is low cloud which reaches the ground. The third image is an example of this, the middle probably not, and the first I think only along what seems like it might be the crest of a moraine at upper right.

I think the top picture may be an example of tree perspiration.
Perspiration is liquid secretion from sweat glands, which are specific to mammals. Assuming the intent was to refer to transpiration (outward transstomatal diffusion of water vapor in plants) I'm skeptical it's a significant humidity contribution in this case as that image is consistent with low evaporative demand. A more likely explanation is probably cooling of upslope flow.

More generally, forests do modulate weather patterns and hydrologic cycles but stating the strength of causal relationships within regional interactions is difficult. Anastassia Makarieva is one of the PIs in the area if you're interested.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Well I didn’t mean to start a debate, but since I’ve stirred the pot...

The usual definition is fog is low cloud which reaches the ground. The third image is an example of this, the middle probably not, and the first I think only along what seems like it might be the crest of a moraine at upper right.
Sounds like fog could be a matter of perspective then? In the first image, if I was standing on the hillside in the clouds, it would be fog? But since I took the image from a different vantage point it’s not? For example, the 3rd image I drove up into the mountains where there was fog...there wasn’t fog at the base of the mountain before I made my way up.

Perspiration is liquid secretion from sweat glands, which are specific to mammals. Assuming the intent was to refer to transpiration (outward transstomatal diffusion of water vapor in plants) I'm skeptical it's a significant humidity contribution in this case as that image is consistent with low evaporative demand. A more likely explanation is probably cooling of upslope flow.
Yeah, I meant transpiration...which to be fair describes essentially tree perspiration. I watched some nature show talking about it, and saw the images of mini clouds (for lack of a better term) hugging the trees in a way that reminds me of this photo. Certainly could be the upslope cooling flow you described though.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well I didn’t mean to start a debate, but since I’ve stirred the pot...

Sounds like fog could be a matter of perspective then? In the first image, if I was standing on the hillside in the clouds, it would be fog? But since I took the image from a different vantage point it’s not? For example, the 3rd image I drove up into the mountains where there was fog...there wasn’t fog at the base of the mountain before I made my way up.

Yeah, I meant transpiration...which to be fair describes essentially tree perspiration. I watched some nature show talking about it, and saw the images of mini clouds (for lack of a better term) hugging the trees in a way that reminds me of this photo. Certainly could be the upslope cooling flow you described though.
That "transpiration" is how you could collect water in a survival situation by attaching a ziploc bag over a bunch of branches with leaves (which needs to be bent so it aims downwards to collect the drips inside its own bag). After 1 hour you'll have some water in the bag.

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom