1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show: Focus Stacking

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Conrad, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I just started out using focus stacking in macro shots. This is one of my first results. Show me yours!

P1050337_copy_2.

• Like Like x 11
  2. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I'm not sure that focus stacking will be particularly popular amongst the micro four thirds community unfortunately. Great detail in your photo above.

You should post some of your before photos and explain a bit more in regard to focus stacking as some members may be a bit unfamiliar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why wouldn't it be popular? Results are great if you have the patience...:wink:

4. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    You answered the question yourself, patience. I feel that most micro four thirds owners prefer good shots out of the camera and would not prefer to combine multiple exposures to create a great image. Focus stacking is a tool that generally a more advanced photographer would utilize, not most micro four thirds owners.

I personally enjoy the aspect of photo editing however I no longer have a micro four thirds camera (Purchased a Pentax K5) to contribute any focus stacks. :(

Hopefully my G3 Preorder arrives so that I can create and share my images.

I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. :)

5. I think you might be surprised to know that there are more than a few advanced photographers who frequent this forum, although whether that extends to many of them utilising focus stacking remains to be seen.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Then why do so many shoot in RAW?

7. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    No, I am not surprised as I was speaking generally.

8. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I don't know the numbers of those who do and do not. I began shooting Raw simply because the file size was larger. I would guess that others shoot Raw because there is an unwritten rule that they should and to those who remain, who knows? It's not particularly relevant in this case anyway.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    strangest reason I have heard of for shooting Raw :)

most people justify their choice of shooting Raw as allowing them to work with the maximum amount of sensor data in post processing

going back to the original poster and your initial response - one of the things that makes this forum so interesting is people sharing their experiences and techniques. Putting a damper on a thread before it has even started isn't really in the spirit of the forum.

Personally i doubt I would use focus stacking in my work - but I would be interested to hearing about the OP's experiences and techniques

K

• Like Like x 3
  10. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    ^^^ I jumped into photography when I purchased my GF2 about three months ago and I knew nothing about Raw. File size was the determining factor for me to use the format. I figured that a larger file size would yield additional information and greater detail would be present.

I was in no way attempting to put a damper on the thread and feel that my initial post was misconstrued. I was essentially informing the OP that the response may not be very large as I do not believe that a number of individuals on this site will focus stack... Numbers, nothing more, nothing less.

I have no qualms against focus stacking whatsoever as I stated in one of my earlier posts. I look forward to contributing to this thread and really do hope that demonstrations illustrating this technique are many!

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This is my reason too...:smile:

Going back on topic now, focus stacking is "cool"....one of these days when I myself get the patience....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Beautiful photo, Conrad! Let's see more!:)

IIGQ4U, it sounded like you were setting the cat amongst the pigeons! Advanced photography requires a big commitment to PP/m43 is not attractive to advanced users/reasons for using RAW are all topics that could derail a thread that seems right up your street!

Focus stacking's an interesting approach that I hadn't come across before, and I hope to see many more examples and demonstrations, and learn the range of situations it can be useful for. For example, is it useful for landscapes as well as macro?

As it seems something you're particularly interested in, IIGQ4U, I hope you can post some focus stacking pics soon!

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    And what pray tell is focus stacking? I think I have a rough idea.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Definitely not my intent.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks Senor Panther.

17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think maybe most Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony etc. users prefer good jpegs out of the camera. Most of the cameras these companies sell are point and shoot. It seems a lot of people looking to go beyond point and shoot and to expand their photographic horizons are choosing m4/3.

Just another way of looking at it.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  18. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
  19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

Photography is a very broad church...

Most people take photos to only capture a moment for their own memory... to them the ease of taking a photo is prime... the content is king.. the quality is mostly irrelevant

some are obligated to capture a moment in order to get paid. To them performance and quality are king... the subject is secondary...they have little or no emotional involvement

and others take photos because the act of doing it and the result satisfies them. And here is where all photo forums get their knickers in a twist because most of the people on these forum are neither casual or professional photographers.

just take the photo that satisfies you... if you take bad/unsatifying photos on a lesser camera, then buying a better camera won't guarantee better photos.

Unless you are being paid to take a photo, then the content is the king... the memory of of your brother falling in the pool, or the sunset over the Pacific is more important than how sharp the picture is in the corner.

shoot jpeg... shoot raw.. shoot with a noctilux or a noname brand macro zoom from a thrift store- its all irrelevant if the photo doesn't communicate

K

• Like Like x 4
  20. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Conrad, I'm glad you posted this. What software are you using?