Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
How did you light that last Ghost Fungi image? Wow!

Thank you!
No need to light them, they glow in the dark. Best photographed on a moonless night. :)

Some info from Wikipedia
Omphalotus nidiformis, or ghost fungus, is a gilled basidiomycete mushroom most notable for its bioluminescent properties. It is known to occur primarily in southern Australia and Tasmania, but was reported from India in 2012 and 2018. The fan- or funnel-shaped fruit bodies are up to 30 cm (12 in) across, with cream-coloured caps overlain with shades of orange, brown, purple, or bluish-black. The white or cream gills run down the length of the stipe, which is up to 8 cm (3 in) long and tapers in thickness to the base. The fungus is both saprotrophic and parasitic, and its fruit bodies are generally found growing in overlapping clusters on a wide variety of dead or dying trees.

Omphalotus nidiformis - Wikipedia

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Such a cool pic! I am very jealous . I would blow that up huge! :)

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
46590426204_6d0e7636d8_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

40348789393_918823bf2a_o.jpg

Focus Bracketing with TG-4 images stacked with Affinity Photo

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I been after a pic of this butterfly a while now.
Always to flighty, but tonight, as it got dark, and after some rain to chill it out. I got close enough, but the light was really bad, and I set my iso to low, and I was getting rained on...
FB24FFAF-312B-4311-9DD2-4BE740477FC7.jpeg

Much room for improvement, maybe tomorrow! :)

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So, I get back out there.
No rain, not much wind, dog amusing itself, and have another go....
50 shot stack.
While the exposures are going down, I notice one of the antennae’s slowly moving up and down.....

1A949653-6176-48A2-B00C-E836B294B950.jpeg

Maybe tomorrow! :)

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
50 shot stack.
While the exposures are going down, I notice one of the antennae’s slowly moving up and down.....
Hi,
Aotearoa is that an alternate name for New Zeeland?

Nice shots BTW :)

View attachment 725490

Hi,

Last edited:

Acraftman

Mu-43 All-Pro
50 shot stack.

View attachment 725490
First I really like the images. Question , I haven't done any focus stacking but am wanting to try though I was under the impression it was to increase dof ? It seems the butterfly is a very shallow/flat plain subject so would a Hi-res shot be more appropriate ? Or is this a work around for that? Thanks in advance.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Not sure I want to post this after looking at some of these images. Those fungi are outstanding. This is my first try at macro and stacking. We had Lobster the other day and a racoon got into the trash last night. As I was cleaning it up I thought the end of the tail looked like a candidate for practice.

I don't know much about stacking and proper distances between focus points, so I just adjusted about the same amount on the focus ring each time. This is about 25 images made with a Lumix 45-150 and a Raynox 250. I don't have a regular Macro lens, it's not something I do often. I got the Raynox and some tubes for Christmas. It looks to me like I could've focused a bit farther in both directions. Also, some of the hairs on the very top layer look fuzzy in the middle. I reckon I'll learn as I go.

Stacking was done in an open source program called Picolay. Easy enough, although no idea how it compares quality-wise.

Tips? Comments? Thoughts? Advice? (other than quit and take up knitting!)

40365025363_9e54047d14_c.jpg
Lobster by telecast, on Flickr

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi,

Abel Tasman sailed past and gave it the name N.Z.
He didn’t even stop.
However, Polynesians beat him to it by about a thousand years...

haunted scrap heap
Stacking was done in an open source program called Picolay. Easy enough, although no idea how it compares quality-wise.
AFAIK Picolay isn't open source software. Keep in mind that "hairy" stuff is the most unforgiving with respect to perspective shift, etc, so you're starting in "hard mode"... ;) that said, it looks good to me, in the middle at least... typically with areas like the upper corners where things start to fall apart you could just mask to a single "layer" to avoid the artifacts.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
AFAIK Picolay isn't open source software. Keep in mind that "hairy" stuff is the most unforgiving with respect to perspective shift, etc, so you're starting in "hard mode"... ;) that said, it looks good to me, in the middle at least... typically with areas like the upper corners where things start to fall apart you could just mask to a single "layer" to avoid the artifacts.

Thanks! You're probably right about the open-source part, freeware is a better term.

Leave it to me to start in 'hard mode'! Good info about masking to a single layer.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
47319588382_79150abe83_o.jpg

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
@Julia
"Here’s one of mine – I didn’t quite get the front edge of the leaf in focus, but after trying for five minutes, my knees hurt and I gave up :) In-camera stacking with the EM1+12-40Pro."

Wonderful photo ... and it's the slightly out-of-focus front of the leaf that makes the photo so good in my eyes. Stacking does not necessarily mean that every detail of the motif must be in full sharpness.

Last edited:

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
First stacking attempt (handheld) trying to keep the back of the blossom out of focus (PP with PS)
19-03-14 Orchid.jpg

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One of my few Focus Staking
i-jszvLdz-X3.jpg

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Piggy and Bull
Stacking with deliberate DoF
19-03-14 Piggy & Bull.jpg

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
2019-03-15%4011.57.42-2-HDR-XL.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
46772905114_7b49721201_o.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom