Show: Focus Stacking or Bracketing

Conrad

Mu-43 Veteran
I just started out using focus stacking in macro shots. This is one of my first results. Show me yours!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IIGQ4U

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure that focus stacking will be particularly popular amongst the micro four thirds community unfortunately. Great detail in your photo above.

You should post some of your before photos and explain a bit more in regard to focus stacking as some members may be a bit unfamiliar.

IIGQ4U

Mu-43 Regular
You answered the question yourself, patience. I feel that most micro four thirds owners prefer good shots out of the camera and would not prefer to combine multiple exposures to create a great image. Focus stacking is a tool that generally a more advanced photographer would utilize, not most micro four thirds owners.

I personally enjoy the aspect of photo editing however I no longer have a micro four thirds camera (Purchased a Pentax K5) to contribute any focus stacks. :(

Hopefully my G3 Preorder arrives so that I can create and share my images.

I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. :)

Real Name
Nic
I think you might be surprised to know that there are more than a few advanced photographers who frequent this forum, although whether that extends to many of them utilising focus stacking remains to be seen.

IIGQ4U

Mu-43 Regular
Then why do so many shoot in RAW?
I don't know the numbers of those who do and do not. I began shooting Raw simply because the file size was larger. I would guess that others shoot Raw because there is an unwritten rule that they should and to those who remain, who knows? It's not particularly relevant in this case anyway.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I don't know the numbers of those who do and do not. I began shooting Raw simply because the file size was larger. I would guess that others shoot Raw because there is an unwritten rule that they should and to those who remain, who knows? It's not particularly relevant in this case anyway.
strangest reason I have heard of for shooting Raw :)

most people justify their choice of shooting Raw as allowing them to work with the maximum amount of sensor data in post processing

going back to the original poster and your initial response - one of the things that makes this forum so interesting is people sharing their experiences and techniques. Putting a damper on a thread before it has even started isn't really in the spirit of the forum.

Personally i doubt I would use focus stacking in my work - but I would be interested to hearing about the OP's experiences and techniques

K

IIGQ4U

Mu-43 Regular
^^^ I jumped into photography when I purchased my GF2 about three months ago and I knew nothing about Raw. File size was the determining factor for me to use the format. I figured that a larger file size would yield additional information and greater detail would be present.

I was in no way attempting to put a damper on the thread and feel that my initial post was misconstrued. I was essentially informing the OP that the response may not be very large as I do not believe that a number of individuals on this site will focus stack... Numbers, nothing more, nothing less.

I have no qualms against focus stacking whatsoever as I stated in one of my earlier posts. I look forward to contributing to this thread and really do hope that demonstrations illustrating this technique are many!

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
most people justify their choice of shooting Raw as allowing them to work with the maximum amount of sensor data in post processing
This is my reason too...:smile:

Going back on topic now, focus stacking is "cool"....one of these days when I myself get the patience....:biggrin:

dabbler

Mu-43 Regular
Beautiful photo, Conrad! Let's see more!:)

IIGQ4U, it sounded like you were setting the cat amongst the pigeons! Advanced photography requires a big commitment to PP/m43 is not attractive to advanced users/reasons for using RAW are all topics that could derail a thread that seems right up your street!

Focus stacking's an interesting approach that I hadn't come across before, and I hope to see many more examples and demonstrations, and learn the range of situations it can be useful for. For example, is it useful for landscapes as well as macro?

As it seems something you're particularly interested in, IIGQ4U, I hope you can post some focus stacking pics soon!

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
You answered the question yourself, patience. I feel that most micro four thirds owners prefer good shots out of the camera and would not prefer to combine multiple exposures to create a great image. Focus stacking is a tool that generally a more advanced photographer would utilize, not most micro four thirds owners.

I personally enjoy the aspect of photo editing however I no longer have a micro four thirds camera (Purchased a Pentax K5) to contribute any focus stacks. :(

Hopefully my G3 Preorder arrives so that I can create and share my images.

I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. :)
I think maybe most Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony etc. users prefer good jpegs out of the camera. Most of the cameras these companies sell are point and shoot. It seems a lot of people looking to go beyond point and shoot and to expand their photographic horizons are choosing m4/3.

Just another way of looking at it.

Fred

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I think maybe most Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony etc. users prefer good jpegs out of the camera. Most of the cameras these companies sell are point and shoot. It seems a lot of people looking to go beyond point and shoot and to expand their photographic horizons are choosing m4/3.

Just another way of looking at it.

Fred

Photography is a very broad church...

Most people take photos to only capture a moment for their own memory... to them the ease of taking a photo is prime... the content is king.. the quality is mostly irrelevant

some are obligated to capture a moment in order to get paid. To them performance and quality are king... the subject is secondary...they have little or no emotional involvement

and others take photos because the act of doing it and the result satisfies them. And here is where all photo forums get their knickers in a twist because most of the people on these forum are neither casual or professional photographers.

just take the photo that satisfies you... if you take bad/unsatifying photos on a lesser camera, then buying a better camera won't guarantee better photos.

Unless you are being paid to take a photo, then the content is the king... the memory of of your brother falling in the pool, or the sunset over the Pacific is more important than how sharp the picture is in the corner.

shoot jpeg... shoot raw.. shoot with a noctilux or a noname brand macro zoom from a thrift store- its all irrelevant if the photo doesn't communicate

K

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom