Show Fishing

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
@Macroramphosis No Roddy. Those belong to the genus Astacus or Procambarus whereas redclaw belong to the genus Cherax which are amongst the largest crayfish in the southern hemisphere found only in Australia and New Guinea. We refer to them as Yabbies. We also have a burrowing Yabby known as Cherax Destructor that can grow to 12" (Redclaw grow to 10") which is renown for undermining river banks and dam walls. I can't differentiate the taste between the two.

The redclaw isn't as prolific in my local water as it was few yrs ago due to drought conditions. I can still get as many as 6 to a pot though. Once the rains come and the water rises, they will be in plague proportions due to the vegetation rotting as the water covers it as that is their primary food and an abundance triggers breeding. My favourite bait is Rockmelon believe it or not :)

Real Name
Roddy
I can believe it - I've used some strange baits for fish in my time. In my youth I'd hang a rotting rabbit under certain bridges to attract sea-trout. Little boys could then winkle them out at night with maggots.... :D

Thanx for the explanation about the crays too. I was assuming your 'pests' would have come from a different country, and the reason i asked if they were signals is that we have them here - in fact, they're all over Europe. They will be the ruination of so many waterways. Why do we never learn???

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

@Brownie Not as good as our saltwater crustaceans but good nevertheless..................even better when they're free :) Boiled for just 90secs and then shelled like a prawn is the norm (Strong scissors needed to cut up the length of the underside. The best taste IMHO is to cut them in half lengthways, rub the flesh with mild peri peri sauce and leave in the fridge for an hour or two then cook on the BBQ flesh down for just a minute and eat from shell. Alternatively use Yoshidas wing and rib sauce or Sweet Baby Rays according to your preference.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do not know if you're aware, Kev, but in the wild, freshwater crays are very susceptible to build up of the chemicals in agricultural run-off. High levels of mercury are aq problem here in France in some areas for example. Your's are probably fine, I'm sure, but worth checking.....
Yes I'm aware Roddy. I used to shark fish a lot but I never kept one over a metre due to the possibility of mercury. They're very strict here in Oz with regards to ag runoff but it does happen. Not much runoff anyway as we've been in drought for near 8yrs and the lake I'm fishing is mostly woodland surround and part of the city's water supply. They don't even allow petrol engines on it, electric only.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A dull day with rain forecast but I was just itching to get out in my new rig. Nothing fancy as I pull cray pots each time out and the boat gets pretty shltty. Windy once I got out of the bay and into the main body of the lake but 54lb thrust fore and aft managed it well with 2 x 120ah batteries. Got some crays and kept just 1 yellowbelly and a bass and the rest went back.

A dull day with rain forecast but I was just itching to get out in my new rig. Nothing fancy as I pull cray pots each time out and the boat gets pretty shltty. Windy once I got out of the bay and into the main body of the lake but 54lb thrust fore and aft managed it well with 2 x 120ah batteries. Got some crays and kept just 1 yellowbelly and a bass and the rest went back.

View attachment 809364View attachment 809365View attachment 809366
Is WTF? the name of the boat?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim

Is the little pedal at the rear bench a control for the front motor so you can control both at the same time?

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran

So, who occupies the 2nd seat? I'm hoping to see some action photos from this vessel, and from your others as I remember the kayak. Full pots and tight lines to you.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So, who occupies the 2nd seat? I'm hoping to see some action photos from this vessel, and from your others as I remember the kayak. Full pots and tight lines to you.
@twigboy Nobody mate. It's just so I can change positions to suit, in fact I use a comfy collapsible camping chair most of the time as it's much easier on the back than cushions or boat seats and seats me a bit higher as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom