Show: Fireworks

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Promit, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Hey, why not? It's the night for it after all. I'm rather new to this but it seems like I got some decent shots. All OOC JPEGS because I am just that lazy.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Great thing about fireworks is the learning curve is pretty quick. I just took almost 100 myself, all you need to do is vary the exposure till you start hitting it, and some keepers will definitely turn out! Great shots there!
  3. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
  4. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    From the Sunday night display in Norcross, GA.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Very nice shots both.
  6. travisgreen

travisgreen New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2011
    The sunset set off the yellow signs.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing shots. What settings did you use? I was trying long exposure but it was catching all of the action like your shots do.
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    For mine, my exposures kept getting longer, up to 10s near the end and aperture around 8. I tried ISO 125 and 200, didn't make much difference. Probably the hardest thing was firing the shutter at the right time. You have to click before the forework lights, or you will miss everything.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I had read a lot before I went to shoot these. Most things I read said that the f-stop would control the brightness of the fireworks, while the shutter would control the length.

Most of these were shot at f11-16. When I went wider than f11, the fireworks would tun white and lose their color.

Time wise, I shot at 3s,4s and 6s. I think I could have gone with longer exposures.

I also shot everything in RAW, and processed it in Lightroom 3 to get the colors I wanted.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
  11. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
  12. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
  13. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
  14. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    <a href="" title="Untitled by veesah, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="503" alt="Untitled"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  15. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Can I just in here with a question about shooting fireworks, please?

I've set up a custom mode for shooting tonight with my G3, following advice in other threads (MF, lens set to infinity, 2 s exposure at f8 — but I'm open to suggestions here too) and I've got my tripod ready. My question is which lens to use. I won't have big scenic vistas, as the fireworks will be shot over a town area of buildings and trees. Options are 14 mm, 14–45 mm, or 45 mm.
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Unfortunately the fireworks are really small here... :(

Zuiko 50mm f/1.4
  17. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    Here are some shots from the Boston July 4th Fireworks. Unfortunately, heavy rain during the fireworks ruined a bunch of shots.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm posting this one which is actually my favorite shot of the night, even though it IS out of focus. I just like the shapes and the abstract feel of it.

<a href="" title="Starbursts of Fire by debit72, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="500" alt="Starbursts of Fire"></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Breaking the rules a bit...These were shot with a little Sony TX5 handheld in Fireworks mode. Nothing to brag about, but I was surprised at the results.