show "fake English"

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Oriental countries, especially where I come from, China, often find English language difficult and make all kinds of funny mistakes. This is a thread to show funny mistakes on signs, screens and it's meant to be for fun and doesn't need to be offending, in another word, let's start mocking. :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

plush (=press flush?) with my hand?

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
the Chinese actually reads "sad" too

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wish I had taken a picture of the "Skin Milk" I saw in in a coffee shop in Hachinohe, but this one also makes me smile.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last edited:

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I bought a little fisheye lens to use on my Flip MinoHD video recorder some years back. It came with a nice little instruction sheet. Start reading at step 3...

View attachment 508959"Engrish" Lens Instructions by Patrick, on Flickr
any idea where the lens was manufactured? I usually can make some sense out of Chinese-English but this one it totally beyond me

Vheissu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
any idea where the lens was manufactured? I usually can make some sense out of Chinese-English but this one it totally beyond me
No idea off hand. I would have to locate the lens and look at it to see if it is marked, but likely it will only say "China" and nothing else.

Vheissu

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
at least the Chinese is well composed

the problem is, they created another whole new language in the way.
Without being able to read the Chinese characters I would guess that there are two things happening in my photos. Either the translation has been done too literally resulting in the more poetic signs (I.e. "Grass is smiling...") or the sign maker had the correct translation written out in front of them but was unfamiliar with the Roman alphabet and picked letters that looked similar (I.e. "Ploase Enjog"). I think the most prominent case of the second style of mistake that I saw was in Shanghai where one subway station's signage all read "motro" instead of "metro".

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Without being able to read the Chinese characters I would guess that there are two things happening in my photos. Either the translation has been done too literally resulting in the more poetic signs (I.e. "Grass is smiling...") or the sign maker had the correct translation written out in front of them but was unfamiliar with the Roman alphabet and picked letters that looked similar (I.e. "Ploase Enjog"). I think the most prominent case of the second style of mistake that I saw was in Shanghai where one subway station's signage all read "motro" instead of "metro".
I'd have to give "grass is smiling" a 5.
Grass is smiling, poetic isn't it? It's not just the choice of words, we were educated to not step on grass, and when I look back on our education I'd ask "why not?"

Because we have 1.4 billion people and that means 2.8 billion feet:crying::crying:

dshombert

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Shombert
I don't have a picture of it, but years ago - MANY years ago - I had an alarm clock that was made it Japan. A printed sheet came with it that included the statement "Thank you to improved alarming mechanism, you are never awake when you are sleeping".

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I once saw in a bank the sign "fill in a single", and I thought it could be fun to let you guess its meaning, but I doubt anyone could.

It means, fill in the application forms.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom