Seaman's Rest or Sailor's Rest (it seems even Heritage Western Australia is not sure of the name) is a place in Fremantle that has social and historic significance as a building erected to provide a rest home for sailors and for associations with the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The place has aesthetic significance as an unusual example of a building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style that has been extensively altered.
The Sailors' Rest home came about because of the efforts of Mrs T. Smith, a member of the Fremantle branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Land was demanded from the government, and the building was constructed with funds raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by Sir John Forrest on 9 October 1899. W. A. Nelson, Architect, T. Game, Builder.
The building was later owned by the British Sailors' Society Fremantle Branch. Today it is part of the Notre Dame University and is a student accommodation facility, Port Lodge