1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Show custom/home-made straps?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by oldracer, Nov 11, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have advocated here several times for people making their own straps. It's easy and you get exactly what you want. As I was playing around with a new design last night it occurred to me that it would be fun to see what straps people have made.

I'll start the thread with the wrist strap I made last night. This is a prototype, so ignore the clashing colors. It's just some cord that I had on hand.

It's a no-metal design. The material is what rock climbers call "accessory cord." The small stuff is 1.5mm and the larger is 3mm. Accessory cord is available in a jillion colors, even some that glow in the dark. Look here. I will probably make a final version from parachute cord, however, because I have more of it around.

IMG_0246-1. IMG_0247-2.

The body of the strap is a simple one-strand braid (instructions). and the slipknot that makes the noose design function is just a bowline (instructions). Nothing fancy at all.

The loop of red cord was lashed to the heavier cord with the loop facing away from the camera end, then it was folded back over the first lashing and lashed again. Finally the lashing was soaked with super glue. It's not real pretty; I'd like to figure out something nicer.

Others? What have you guys and gals made?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Totally agree on advocating home-made straps. In particular for the Micro Four-Thirds system, where weight and strength is a lesser concern. I will try to post my handstraps / neck straps when I can. I have no photos of them as yet.

3. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    chicago.
    Thanks for the photos/plans of the wrist strap. I constantly see that dsptch ad and almost bought one many times. Well I have a nice sowing machine that my wife got recently and decide to get some materials from an online site and will soon try to make a neck strap. Can't be that hard. I'll post some shots. I also got a few short bundles of paracord to make a wrist strap and will probably use yours are a jump off.

4. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    ddd_009.JPG ddd_008.JPG

Home made Rapid Strap. Cost about $10 all totalled. Works like a charm.