Show cell sites - cellular network (cell phone) antenna towers etc.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by junkyardsparkle, Jun 12, 2017.

1. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Top Veteran

These are taking on some interesting forms of decoration/disguise these days... figured there should be a thread for 'em. Starting off with stark and unadorned:

f6114272.
    Oly 60/2.8 macro @f/4

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    OI000013-01.
    10II Sigma 60

• Like Like x 5
  3. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

P0017755 (2).

From underneath the cell tower that used to be down the street. It was disguised as a three-faced clock tower. The clocks were hardly ever on time.

My avatar is an antenna radiation pattern.

Brian

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    A cell tower nearby, what a concept!

noservice_0164.JPG

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. junkyardsparkle

I'm always looking for a little green-faced "jealous" icon to click... can we get one of those?

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    envy_80_anim_.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I don't have any cell site photos to show but it might be interesting for you to know that in China, it's often that some antenna towers are disguised as trees, to avoid causing panic. Some people still believe cell phone signals are harmful. Is it the same in other countries?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    Some people in the USA think the signals can be bad but the bigger problem is neighborhoods think the towers are ugly and don't want the towers around them. Then they complain about poor coverage. We do have a few towers disguised as trees but most are not very convincing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. junkyardsparkle

"Not very convincing" is putting it nicely... some of them border on the grotesque, which actually makes them kind of interesting - partly why I thought this subject deserved a thread. On the other hand, some places seem to take a more form-follows-function approach to making them less objectionable, and I'm hoping that might make for some interesting photos too...

• Like Like x 1
  10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Same here:biggrin:

11. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Lots of them are "disguised" as palm trees here in southern CA.

12. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Tucson has some realistic cactus towers.

13. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    Can anybody get photos of the fake tower? The only ones I know of are 350 miles away and I'm not going that far for a photo. I'm going to try and shoot some normal local towers tomorrow or later this week, weather permitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    I didn't take a photo of the tower itself because of ground clutter so I got a closeup of the antennas. First one is a self supporting tower that has been up for at least 20 years. I'm not sure when these antennea were added. I guess they don't use monkeys to mount this stuff any more. :rofl:

Site A W6151502.

Next is a guyed 2-way radio/paging tower. This antenna mess was added in the late 1990s. You can see a 3 element yagi antenna for paging in the center of all this. These guys don't care what's in their way.

Site B W6151503.

And here is one that's been around for 10 years or so.

Site C W6151524.

I will have to look around for some towers that are good candidates for full photos.

• Like Like x 4
  15. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    This tower is on top of a 2 story building. The building is the local Central Office for the phone company (now AT&T). It's uncommon to see major towers on top of buildings here in the south east. Being a CO (connects copper wire phone lines to phone calls), the building is already reinforced to support a heavy load and probably needed just minor modifications to support this tower. The top of the tower used to have antennas for a paging system and 2-way radio dispatch.

AT&T CO Tower.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. junkyardsparkle

I'm not too sure about this approach to reducing visual impact... :hmmm:

f6284376.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    upload_2017-7-6_20-31-42.
    almost forgot I snapped this the other day to share... sorry zoomed in iphone from the car
    these are not uncommon down here in southern ca

• Like Like x 3
  18. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    It might not be about reducing visual impact, but reducing coverage so the channels can be reused closer. The lower the antenna, the less area covered and the closer those channels can be reused by another site. It could be this cell site is for that neighborhood and there could be another cell site on the other side of those hills. The hills would block the signal and allow the channels to be reused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    Ha ha, who is that supposed to fool?