Show "Cars"

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
This was my wife's car----until she ran it into a 4wd pickup. Totaled out but one of my very favorite cars to really go fast. Porsche 928S. She had this one and I had the 911SC in the second picture and I still own and drive the 911SC.

DSC_0781.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_4407-2.jpg

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Luckily the SC was spared - much more fun than the 928. And cheaper to work on too...

Surprisingly the 928 was very easy on the maintenance budget. Brake pads which I did myself. Adjustment on headlights, recharge the air conditioner. We had the car for about 4 years and just had normal oil, filter, and other normal maintenance.
The 911 SC is not driven much is a garage queen but cost me over a grand on a new shift linkage, oil change, filter, new O2 sensor, and fluid top-ups. And I supplied the parts but very few Porsche mechanics still work on air-cooled engines. My guy was a Porsche/VW guy and while the price seems high, the linkage had broken and he had not only to replace some but do some welding to keep me from spending a few more thousand dollars on further transmission parts. The parts for the 911sc are out of sight at the dealership so I order from Pelican Parts.
I have tried to keep it very good. I have the original seats, a second leather set of seats, two original Targa Tops, the original tool kit, the original manual and a service guide with original cover. Since this is a US Model, it came in with an 85mph speedo which has been changed to 180mph speedo but I still have the original speedo.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I think this might be fun on dirt roads, assuming that the handling isn’t totally screwed up by the modifications. No idea of the car make though.

50845828986_634cef6e65_o.jpg
EM126046-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50795630283_eeb32454e2_o.jpg

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Two bonza utes: an early-1990s Subaru Brumby (BRAT in NA market) and a classic 1970s Kingswood.
1200884-01.jpeg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50796695347_8599a60814_o.jpg

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Surprisingly the 928 was very easy on the maintenance budget. Brake pads which I did myself. Adjustment on headlights, recharge the air conditioner. We had the car for about 4 years and just had normal oil, filter, and other normal maintenance.
The 911 SC is not driven much is a garage queen but cost me over a grand on a new shift linkage, oil change, filter, new O2 sensor, and fluid top-ups. And I supplied the parts but very few Porsche mechanics still work on air-cooled engines. My guy was a Porsche/VW guy and while the price seems high, the linkage had broken and he had not only to replace some but do some welding to keep me from spending a few more thousand dollars on further transmission parts. The parts for the 911sc are out of sight at the dealership so I order from Pelican Parts.
I have tried to keep it very good. I have the original seats, a second leather set of seats, two original Targa Tops, the original tool kit, the original manual and a service guide with original cover. Since this is a US Model, it came in with an 85mph speedo which has been changed to 180mph speedo but I still have the original speedo.

you were lucky with the 928

the 911 is dirt simple to work on and you can DIY - LMK if you need a web site URL for that

working on F susp.jpg

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
ralf,

I have a great source for information on how to work on the Porsche 911 SC and over the 40 years I have owned the car, I have done a lot of work on it. I have replaced switches, motors in the door, a window regulator for one window, re-skinned one of the Targa tops with the correct material,, replaced the seats, installed several stereo units and amplifiers along with several upgrades to speakers which required removal and reinstallation of the back leather seating area, have been able to install a backfire valve to keep the airbox from being exploded if the car backfired, have replaced the belts and have done lots of oil and filter changes but----I am too old for that now--I sold my big home with lots of garage space to a condo with a small garage area. I am afraid my DIY days are over with the Porsche.

The good news was that I checked on Kelley Blue Book and I think that the value of this car is about what I paid for it 40 years ago. The 928 when it was totaled was valued at 11K more than I paid for it so that was a little windfall.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50796593651_69eae12266_o.jpg

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
P1170008.jpg

P1170007.jpg

P1170006.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom