Show "Cars"

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
It would be wonderful done up like this one.

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2019-_9084878_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Few from the weekend. Finally getting back to old times, being able to wander around a car show. Been about a year since the last one. Mostly shot with my 12-35 f/2.8
Caddy.jpg
Capri GT.jpg
Capri.jpg
Chevy pickup.jpg
Cobra rokt.jpg
tina.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This thing is freaking enormous. The bonnet was taller than me. Good luck trying to park that at your local Supermarket, or getting it into a multi level car park
F250.jpg
super duty 2.jpg
super duty.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Few more. Favorite shot of the day
Ponti 350.jpg

Replica GT I think
GT40 2.jpg
GT40 dash.jpg
GT40 rear.jpg
GT40 rolling.jpg
GT40.jpg
Ponti 350.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Geez, Speedy, I can just see me throwing that thing into an 80 kmh corner at around 40 kmh ...
And fighting to keep it on the road ...
Yeah, tell me about it. Going shopping would be my biggest challenge I reckon. It's difficult enough in my Double cab Ranger, let alone something that size.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And some more from the day
triple.jpg
V8.jpg
white chev.jpg
white Impala.jpg
winglett.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Yeah, tell me about it. Going shopping would be my biggest challenge I reckon. It's difficult enough in my Double cab Ranger, let alone something that size.
Love my 2006 Series II SG Forester ...

E-M1_JAK_2015-_7311033%20copy_Ew.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Geez, Speedy, I can just see me throwing that thing into an 80 kmh corner at around 40 kmh ...
And fighting to keep it on the road ...
These things, especially the properly set ones are surprisingly capable (think raptor for example).

Fwiw, we have an old gx470 (fancy land cruiser prado) - and while it is big and hard to park and rolls around a bit on it's high suspension, it actually is pretty neutral handling wise with good steering feedback - so goes around corners surprisingly well for it's size.

Not a sports car, but not a 60s style land yacht either.

LucDeSchepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luc de Schepper
VW Beetle

Olympus E-M10 + OLympus 25mm f1.8

21604744199_c6ea33d4ee_h.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
50989002558_86bdc9df63_o.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
These things, especially the properly set ones are surprisingly capable (think raptor for example).

Fwiw, we have an old gx470 (fancy land cruiser prado) - and while it is big and hard to park and rolls around a bit on it's high suspension, it actually is pretty neutral handling wise with good steering feedback - so goes around corners surprisingly well for it's size.

Not a sports car, but not a 60s style land yacht either.
I understand, but I can and do throw my Forester into an 80 kmh corner at 120 kmh ... happily and safely.

It's really an underpowered WRX turned into a small SUV. Suits me.

If you drive big SUVs how they are designed to be driven, they're fine (I owned a 1968 Landcruiser for about 10 years and 100,000+ miles). Unfortunately, their modern car like interior fools some people into thinking they are driving a car, and they're not! They are a truck, and should be driven sensibly and sedately, as designed.

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I understand, but I can and do throw my Forester into an 80 kmh corner at 120 kmh ... happily and safely.

If you drive big SUVs how they are designed to be driven, they're fine (I owned a 1968 Landcruiser for about 10 years and 100,000+ miles). Unfortunately, their modern car like interior fools some people into thinking they are driving a car, and they're not! They are a truck, and should be driven sensibly and sedately, as designed.

John, I think you are out of touch with modern trucks and what they can do, honestly.

A 1968 Landcruiser was a glorified tractor for all purposes - and they are great for what they are (I owned a 1951 Jeep CJ3, 1976 CJ6 and even my 1997 Jeep TJ was just the same idea - with live axles front and rear). Even my 15 years old GX (Land Cruiser 120) is years ahead of what these were - it has independent front suspension, air suspension in the back, traction control and all-wheel-drive for the road (with locker for off-roading).

I have also owed 4 Subaru Imprezas and loved 3 of them (in 2008 they started to dumb down the suspension on these, at least for the NA market). A Forester as you have established - is a raised mini-SUV on an Impreza chassis. Would my Imprezas be sportier than my GX470? Sure - even tho like most Subarus on good tarmac they understeer like pigs - they really come alive in slippery conditions - but the GX470 is surprisingly capable.

Now modern trucks, like a Ford Raptor (which the image you referred to looked like someone's interpretation of one) - are basically homologation race trucks for events like the Baja 1000 - a stock one finished 3rd in class in the 2017 race - https://media.ford.com/content/ford...aptor-tackles-baja-1000--then-drives-the.html - and they go at some crazy speeds on these stages - so - I am 100% sure that these big monsters can go around turns very fast and without the kind of issues we experienced with old trucks. It's not the same vehicles at all.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
51017899271_c5ef5d909d_o.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
John, I think you are out of touch with modern trucks and what they can do, honestly.

A 1968 Landcruiser was a glorified tractor for all purposes - and they are great for what they are (I owned a 1951 Jeep CJ3, 1976 CJ6 and even my 1997 Jeep TJ was just the same idea - with live axles front and rear). Even my 15 years old GX (Land Cruiser 120) is years ahead of what these were - it has independent front suspension, air suspension in the back, traction control and all-wheel-drive for the road (with locker for off-roading).

I have also owed 4 Subaru Imprezas and loved 3 of them (in 2008 they started to dumb down the suspension on these, at least for the NA market). A Forester as you have established - is a raised mini-SUV on an Impreza chassis. Would my Imprezas be sportier than my GX470? Sure - even tho like most Subarus on good tarmac they understeer like pigs - they really come alive in slippery conditions - but the GX470 is surprisingly capable.

Now modern trucks, like a Ford Raptor (which the image you referred to looked like someone's interpretation of one) - are basically homologation race trucks for events like the Baja 1000 - a stock one finished 3rd in class in the 2017 race - https://media.ford.com/content/ford...aptor-tackles-baja-1000--then-drives-the.html - and they go at some crazy speeds on these stages - so - I am 100% sure that these big monsters can go around turns very fast and without the kind of issues we experienced with old trucks. It's not the same vehicles at all.
Ron, I have seen in car footage of what happens when a person tried driving a very modern 4x4 like a modern car on a dirt road. The car would never have got into the difficulties it did. Thank god his child was in the centre child safety seat!

Centre of gravity is too high, suspension and steering are ordinary (and that's being kind). Tyres are not generally appropriate for high speed touring, let alone handling. Etc, etc.

It is one thing for an experienced rally driver to hurl a specially modified vehicle around, quite another for an ordinary driver in a production vehicle.

BTW, you're absolutely right about my 1968 Landcruiser being "a tractor"! However, it worked remarkably well with decent road tyres on the front and full bar lugs on the back.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Me - on the road again

20122872lca.jpg

(edit: straightened)

Last edited:

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
51017599573_cb458e3d7b_o.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
51018424452_eb2c8a61f4_o.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Molina Monza Special c.1950 at the Ian Potter Gallery, NGV, Federation Square, Melbourne.

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050822_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050821_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050820_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050819_Ew.jpg

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Elfin Streamliner, c.1961. At Ian Potter gallery, Federation Square, Melbourne.

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050818_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050817_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050816_Ew.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom