Show "Cars"

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
One of my favourites!
Looks better than it drives, unfortunately. It is an Alfa 105 chassis (spider, giulia, gtv) under there with a heavy V8 engine up-front - this makes it somewhat nose-heavy and reluctant to change directions quickly. It is a great touring car, just not as sporty as it looks suggest.

Looks better than it drives, unfortunately. It is an Alfa 105 chassis (spider, giulia, gtv) under there with a heavy V8 engine up-front - this makes it somewhat nose-heavy and reluctant to change directions quickly. It is a great touring car, just not as sporty as it looks suggest.
I once had a nose-heavy front wheel drive coupe which, on occasion, would change directions entirely and flip around 180 degrees while cornering - it was very disconcerting! I hope nothing as dramatic as that ever happens in the Alfa.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I once had a nose-heavy front wheel drive coupe which, on occasion, would change directions entirely and flip around 180 degrees while cornering - it was very disconcerting! I hope nothing as dramatic as that ever happens in the Alfa.
No, it is not a bad car, it just isn't as good as it looks or as good as the so called 'lesser' 105 cars which have much better weight distribution. At least in my opinion.

Real Name
Richard
Okay. So it's not a car, it's a 1965 Ford Transit V4 Drop-Side EEA 508D.

A museum piece - which makes me officially old.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Early Corvette

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
49475546152_85221151eb_o.jpg

Morning drive with an old car.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4 @f=2.8

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got jealous from the little I saw here so I am posting three pre-m43 photos taken with a Kodax DX7630 about 14 years ago:

B5589FA0-EAE0-4E18-8613-520F8E6123DD.jpeg

yes, this is an original Ford GT40 MkI as the owner told me while I was drooling and gasping at the interior taking snapshots and later enjoying the V8 uproar that made the 911 sound like a cat purring in comparison..

631F77AE-A154-4FD3-BC71-1B56680D3A2E.jpeg

note the roof bump for the .. tall driver :laugh:

C536F3B1-3FCF-403D-BF5E-FED435C8A2EE.jpeg

I could be photographing and listen to this car for the whole day, maybe the week too!

6D68221F-62E8-4A81-B5F8-14961CCB120F.jpeg

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Robstar1963 it is in the waiting list along rewatching Grand Prix (1966), Le Mans (1973?) and maybe Rush(‘15) to get in the proper mood!

Anyone intrigued should also look at On Any Sunday (‘72) and Hitting the Apex along TT3D Closer To The Edge for the 2 wheel side of fast motorized wheel vehicles, though mostly documentaries. Then there are the Faster and Fastest and I do not know of any similarly good but dirt oriented counterparts, car or motorcycles, maybe something with Michele Mouton starring or so :love:, SWMBO not looking right now :hide:

Last edited:

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
note the roof bump for the .. tall driver :laugh:
The bump on the roof is known as the "Gurney Bubble", and it was added to the GT40 to accommodate Dan Gurney's height. Gurney and won Le Mans in this car in 1967, and then famously won the Belgian Grand Prix the following week, in his Eagle Formula 1 car.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
@Robstar1963 it is in the waiting list along rewatching Grand Prix (1966), Le Mans (1973?) and maybe Rush(‘15) to get in the proper mood!

Anyone intrigued should also look at On Any Sunday (‘72) and Hitting the Apex along TT3D Closer To The Edge for the 2 wheel side of fast motorized wheel vehicles, though mostly documentaries. Then there are the Faster and Fastest and I do not know of any similarly good but dirt oriented counterparts, car or motorcycles, maybe something with Michele Mouton starring or so :love:, SWMBO not looking right now :hide:
And of course ‘Senna’

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
The bump on the roof is known as the "Gurney Bubble", and it was added to the GT40 to accommodate Dan Gurney's height. Gurney and won Le Mans in this car in 1967, and then famously won the Belgian Grand Prix the following week, in his Eagle Formula 1 car.
I was told that the same reason was used by Zagato when they were converting small Fiats for race use, it has become a pretty famous design signature of Zagato cars in the late 50s and 60s, called the 'double bubble'

Here is a Zagato designed Abarth 750 (photo from the 90s, PIR historic races circa 1996) - despite the poor quality, you can see the 2 bubbles at the top.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom