Show "Cars"

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
If you drive one of these...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And it has one of these...

Then this is the view most people see!

Real Name
Amol
Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat. The name is apt, when revved this thing literally raises hell.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
48809710926_7682faac87_o.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

MG TC, Kodak Ekta 25mm 1.4

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Interesting. The front springs are raised. I would think the other way... but I'm not current on things.
probably to help weight transfer to the rear during launch for better traction, but I am not really certain.
It looks to be a Gasser. Gassers must have straight front axles, which naturally raises the front end. Here's a good example of a Falcon Gasser.
P1026175 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

I should've said a straight front axle is a must in the local Great Lakes Gassers, but not a must everywhere. Straight axles are preferred. Gassers are one of the oldest classes of drag racers. These days they're called 'nostalgic' Gassers.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
That reminds me, I made this last weekend at MIlan Dragway. This is the Russo and Santo '41 Willys. This is the original car still racing. It held the 1967 and 68 NHRA record. I was surprised to see it there. You can see here the axle isn't quite straight, but the front end is still lifted. For some reason, probably low cost back in the day, Willys in this period were very popular for Gassers.

P1026255 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
What was the event?
Nitro Night at Crusin Grand - supposed to be the largest cruise night on the west coast (who knows) - the last event of the year. They do a "demo" push along an old town center - not running there obviously as it would be too dangerous. It is just a nice way to see these things out of their element pretending to be running on a normal street. It does allow us relatively close access to these machines - unlike on a proper drag strip (I am not that big on drag racing anyway - but PIR where I used to road-race had a long straight they used to run drag races every once in a while - and I sometimes went to spectate - I used to consider it my second home in the days before I had kids - so spent a lot of time there).

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Nitro Night at Crusin Grand - supposed to be the largest cruise night on the west coast (who knows) - the last event of the year. They do a "demo" push along an old town center - not running there obviously as it would be too dangerous. It is just a nice way to see these things out of their element pretending to be running on a normal street. It does allow us relatively close access to these machines - unlike on a proper drag strip (I am not that big on drag racing anyway - but PIR where I used to road-race had a long straight they used to run drag races every once in a while - and I sometimes went to spectate - I used to consider it my second home in the days before I had kids - so spent a lot of time there).
Sounds cool. I love loud and fast. Air shows, drag races, powerboats, etc. next season I want to attend Detroit's Hydrofest on the river. We live close to Michigan International Speedway, been to a few ARCA and Indy car races but not as interested. We also live about 30 minutes from a classic back-in-the-day figure 8 track that I've never been to. Get this, they race school busses! Sounds like a photo op!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom