Show "Cars"

NoTan2

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
That's a great story - one of the best parts about ownership is hearing the memories people always share! She's all there but is actually very shabby. I'm looking forward to getting the seats rebuilt and upholstered, but need to sell something else first.
I will share some memories, if I may.

In the 1960's a friend and I were given a well-used DS19 to drive to Central NSW (very much the "outback" in those days.) 1000km/600m round trip.
Coming from driving 1950s Holdens and Vanguards of the day, we were totally unprepared for the mechanical sophistication of the DS.

Once clear of the cities, the roads were almost empty and we were cruising along at 60mph. Due to the super smooth and quiet ride, it seemed like we were going much more slowly.
Mile posts on the side of the road were common then, so I started doing some timings. I assumed that I had made a mistake and checked again a couple of times. We were actually travelling closer to 80mph. It explained why we were going much faster than the few vehicles we encountered (and fortunately none were police :blush:)
When we returned, the owner apologised for forgetting to tell us that the speedometer was faulty and wouldn't read past 60mph. Lesser vehicles would have been uncontrollable on the poor roads at those speeds - the DS just floated along.

We also got a flat tyre. We couldn't find a jack. After some head scratching, we worked out that we needed to start the engine, move the suspension lever up and the car rose up off the ground. Fitted some stands and dropped it back down and the wheels lifted up.
Such a clever idea!

Those were unforgettable memories - such a wonderful car.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I will share some memories, if I may.

In the 1960's a friend and I were given a well-used DS19 to drive to Central NSW (very much the "outback" in those days.) 1000km/600m round trip.
Coming from driving 1950s Holdens and Vanguards of the day, we were totally unprepared for the mechanical sophistication of the DS.

Once clear of the cities, the roads were almost empty and we were cruising along at 60mph. Due to the super smooth and quiet ride, it seemed like we were going much more slowly.
Mile posts on the side of the road were common then, so I started doing some timings. I assumed that I had made a mistake and checked again a couple of times. We were actually travelling closer to 80mph. It explained why we were going much faster than the few vehicles we encountered (and fortunately none were police :blush:)
When we returned, the owner apologised for forgetting to tell us that the speedometer was faulty and wouldn't read past 60mph. Lesser vehicles would have been uncontrollable on the poor roads at those speeds - the DS just floated along.

We also got a flat tyre. We couldn't find a jack. After some head scratching, we worked out that we needed to start the engine, move the suspension lever up and the car rose up off the ground. Fitted some stands and dropped it back down and the wheels lifted up.
Such a clever idea!

Those were unforgettable memories - such a wonderful car.
Thanks for sharing, I've heard lots of similar things about these cars - they must have blown the minds of folks used to their beloved-but-simpler Aussie cars. The jacking system is its best party trick!

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
48752545793_1e472aaf0a_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10 out of 10 camels give it 4 hooves up. Autocars Susita Cube. Early fiberglass car, earlier versions had a wooden frame. Apparently camels were very fond of eating these.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
48755629808_60d097df27_o.jpg

This is the model that replaced the Susita Cube, I believe it was called the Carmel, like the one above it had Ford running gear

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
48755671153_55bee7060d_o.jpg

This was the last model, called Gilboa, it had Triumph running gear. The company ceased operations after this model in the early 80s.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice set, Ron. Old cars are cool, especially the smaller ones. Not sure I'd want to drive one on a daily basis again, though. Many years ago I had a yellow Honda 600. Cool as can be . . . until we were driving up an interstate entrance ramp, and my wife said "Would you like me to get out and push?". Ouch.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Sexy!!!

MonikaO

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Monika
Here is my hightech car :)

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Nice set, Ron. Old cars are cool, especially the smaller ones. Not sure I'd want to drive one on a daily basis again, though. Many years ago I had a yellow Honda 600. Cool as can be . . . until we were driving up an interstate entrance ramp, and my wife said "Would you like me to get out and push?". Ouch.
I would say you are lucky. It's been a long time since my wife last agreed to set foot in one of my old cars

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The MX5 is on my list of cars to own. I can't believe that's an iPhone photo, Rick!

Yes, here is another using the same app. Took a “Portrait” photo, then edited it in the Focos app.

2014 MX-5 GT PRHT by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, here is another using the same app. Took a “Portrait” photo, then edited it in the Focos app.

View attachment 7759772014 MX-5 GT PRHT by Rick McNelly, on Flickr
That's amazing, and could be a game changer for many!

I got to drive a first generation MX5 at our local car club run, today. It was cool, but didn't give me an urge to run off and buy one.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Citroen 2CV

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Ford Anglia 105E

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
'34 Ford. I always liked the flowing curves of the older cars.
P9210528.jpg

The gentleman says he needs to tape the wipers down when traveling at highway speeds. 85 hp will do it.
tapethemdown.jpg

P9210526.jpg

Last edited:

Don W

Mu-43 Rookie
Factory Five Cobra replica cutaway.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom