show: Brutalism / Brutalist architecture

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
DC Metro:
E6095116 DC Metro.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E6095258 DC Metro escalators.jpg

share yours...

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Boston City Hall:
E6248785 Boston City Hall - Brutalist.jpg

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
The Buckner Building in Whittier, Alaska:

P1380515.jpg

X-posted from show "abandoned"

I wish I'd had more time to explore this massive structure. Particularly I wish I'd taken a shot showing how it hulks over the rest of this small town and is the first thing that draws the eye upon emerging from the car/train tunnel which is the only land-based entry to this strange village. I guess as it is, I've left myself a good excuse to return some day.

- K

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
The Buckner Building in Whittier, Alaska:

View attachment 900732

X-posted from show "abandoned"

I wish I'd had more time to explore this massive structure. Particularly I wish I'd taken a shot showing how it hulks over the rest of this small town and is the first thing that draws the eye upon emerging from the car/train tunnel which is the only land-based entry to this strange village. I guess as it is, I've left myself a good excuse to return some day.

- K
I don’t know how this is possible, but don’t remember seeing this when I was in Whittier. Perhaps the fact that I didn’t drive deep into town? I did a hike right on the Whittier side of the tunnel to see Portage Glacier, but didn’t venture further into town than to turn around in parking lot because I missed the road to the trailhead.

I’d also take any excuse to go back to Alaska. I’ll add this to the growing list.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I don’t know how this is possible, but don’t remember seeing this when I was in Whittier. Perhaps the fact that I didn’t drive deep into town? I did a hike right on the Whittier side of the tunnel to see Portage Glacier, but didn’t venture further into town than to turn around in parking lot because I missed the road to the trailhead.

I’d also take any excuse to go back to Alaska. I’ll add this to the growing list.
I really don't know how you could've missed it either, Chris. It was literally the first thing I saw as we emerged from the tunnel. Perhaps that was because I knew very little about Whittier going in except that everyone in the town lives in a single building, hence was primed to look for "the building". This photo captures only one "wing" of the structure.

But you're right, it's never a bad thing to have a reason to return.

- K

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
iPhoner at base of PeaceHealth vent column.JPG

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom