SHOW: Before and After Shots

aKilter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
David
Some I've seen look bad, the clouds are out of scale and they just don't match.
It’s not just poorly done sky replacements, but over processed skies, as well.

I remember early on, having a photo of mine(with an over processed sky - I thought it was cool) critiqued and was told the sky should not be processed, to the extent that it takes attention away from the focal point, of the photo. I guess the only exception would be, if the sky IS the focal point.

That critique has stuck with me, and I’m always careful to try and not over process the skies, in my photos.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It’s not just poorly done sky replacements, but over processed skies, as well.

I remember early on, having a photo of mine(with an over processed sky - I thought it was cool) critiqued and was told the sky should not be processed, to the extent that it takes attention away from the focal point, of the photo. I guess the only exception would be, if the sky IS the focal point.

That critique has stuck with me, and I’m always careful to try and not over process the skies, in my photos.
Funny how we progress isn't it? I've done the same thing, from "Cool!" to "What the hell was I thinking?!" :doh:

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
both handheld shots, SOOC RAWs rendered to JPEGs by the iPadOS13 native app, otherwise untouched with
E-M10 mark II and14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R lens (no idea why EXIF are not passed on)

BEFORE,
almost what I was looking at, just quite a bit darker and a tiny bit more contrasty and dramatic than real life:
9960C436-60BA-4081-B0F4-4758D168F6B9.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AFTER,
a few seconds later and just a flick of the camera’s selected manual white balance setting,
same place, same time, same camera/lens, well same everything except selected WB
F39B4571-1FA9-4008-AFC4-F675A6592494.jpeg

SWMBO likes this one better

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Interaction between humans and horses often involves fences; I am not a fan of them 😕
Again the opportunity for an interesting image presented itself but nothing I could do about it

making friends_raw_PR000079 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Thankfully we have modern editing tools that allow us to create the vision that we envision in our minds.
Several layers of sliders and filters, masked and selected accordingly, blended and feathered.
Image taken with adapted C-mount D.O. Industries Navitar 75mm f1.3 (@f2)

making friends by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interaction between humans and horses often involves fences; I am not a fan of them 😕
Again the opportunity for an interesting image presented itself but nothing I could do about it

View attachment 823490making friends_raw_PR000079 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Thankfully we have modern editing tools that allow us to create the vision that we envision in our minds.
Several layers of sliders and filters, masked and selected accordingly, blended and feathered.
Image taken with adapted C-mount D.O. Industries Navitar 75mm f1.3 (@f2)

View attachment 823491making friends by gnarlydog, on Flickr
Great job on this one Damiano. I saw the after picture first before looking at this post and I wouldn't have thought there was a fence there.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Great job on this one Damiano. I saw the after picture first before looking at this post and I wouldn't have thought there was a fence there.
the removal of the barbed wire fence was just too easy with "content aware" clone brush in Photoshop. The same editing done manually just with the clone brush (stamp tool) would have taken me considerable amount of time and possibly not as neat. While I am a lousy editor when it comes to composites (creating images that are a credible collage from several individual photos) I do enjoy the simpler tools of enhancement that Photoshop offers me.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I have today been trying out various textures and blending options, all in On1 2020.
Before,

After,

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
From sunlight to street lamp, same photo.
P1040137_2.JPG

Last edited:

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Can you make the light more yellow to match the windows? Yes, I know it's plausible as-is, but would look better if the lamp light was warmer.
No it doesn't I already tried that , a yellow light spoils the cool blue tint of the street. Besides it had a modern cool blue eco lamp fitted I checked while I was there.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom