SHOW: Before and After Shots

IMHO it's a matter of what the individual is trying to express with the photo: is it reportage/journalism or feeling artsy?
Absolutely. However, for me there's a big difference between takin a sky from another picture of yours, and taking one from the same library everyone gets.
There's nothing artistic about taking something from a catalogue...

With the last version you can even put giant elephants in the background...

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Absolutely. However, for me there's a big difference between takin a sky from another picture of yours, and taking one from the same library everyone gets.
There's nothing artistic about taking something from a catalogue...

With the last version you can even put giant elephants in the background...
Composite images have a place for me: they can be interesting but rarely they really are moving or inspiring.
I compare them to music that has been assembled with samples: yes can be OK but never will compare to a true original masterpiece from a talented artist.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Another older image revisited today with On1 2020
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've been wanting to do a "Robert Johnson" Crossroads shot for a while. Seems like every time I find a suitable crossroads there's too much in the way. I finally found a decent location but couldn't get the angle without all of the buildings and other crap in the background. I needed desolate and lonely. I processed as usual and then started messing around with the one clump of trees on the left side that was usable for cloning. Sepia gives it the proper look.

The reason for posting is to ask your trained eyes how easy it is to pick out the cloned horizon. I don't think I could enlarge this too much or it might be evident. I'm thinking an 8 X 10 would be about it. I guess the real question is, would it be noticeable if you weren't looking for it?

49758466516_fe41c0affc_h.jpg
crossroads orig by telecast, on Flickr

crossroads by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I've been wanting to do a "Robert Johnson" Crossroads shot for a while. Seems like every time I find a suitable crossroads there's too much in the way. I finally found a decent location but couldn't get the angle without all of the buildings and other crap in the background. I needed desolate and lonely. I processed as usual and then started messing around with the one clump of trees on the left side that was usable for cloning. Sepia gives it the proper look.

The reason for posting is to ask your trained eyes how easy it is to pick out the cloned horizon. I don't think I could enlarge this too much or it might be evident. I'm thinking an 8 X 10 would be about it. I guess the real question is, would it be noticeable if you weren't looking for it?

View attachment 813619crossroads orig by telecast, on Flickr

View attachment 813620crossroads sep by telecast, on Flickr
If I hadn't seen the original picture I would not have spotted the recurring features of the woods!
For someone looking at that picture without knowing exactly where it was taken it will be very hard to see that it has been changed.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’ve only recently started to do some PP. I’m using Snapseed. C+C invited. Thanks
Finished image cross posted in Cameraderie.

7088ABF4-5912-4D9C-9ACD-3CBA656E8046.jpeg
B869E23C-5A86-4BE3-8A41-16E73F4C25C6.jpeg

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry

I probably wouldn't have noticed.
I did notice though that the horizon and stop sign appear crooked.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Another oldie reworked to a black and white, with On1 2020 today.
before
amblesideA.JPG

after
amblesideB.jpg

could almost be a spot the difference.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I probably wouldn't have noticed.
I did notice though that the horizon and stop sign appear crooked.
Look at it now. I went back and messed with it some. The road now looks like it's sloping from left to right, but the horizon looks better. I had to go farther than I thought to strike a balance. The two obvious horizontal lines are opposed.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I know some people dislike sky replacements, but adding a few clouds on top of the original sky can make all the difference.
before,

after, with added clouds, but still original sky.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I know some people dislike sky replacements, but adding a few clouds on top of the original sky can make all the difference.
before,
View attachment 815660
after, with added clouds, but still original sky.
View attachment 815662
I like it, it looks pretty natural.

Some I've seen look bad, the clouds are out of scale and they just don't match.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom