I just bought a selection of 12 local beers from Bavaria and Bohemia for my visitors to try out
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
There are so many more. But I lack the knowledge of which ones are special. Amonst those in the picture, numbered from L-R:
2) Flötzinger Beer won a huge award in 2012. And very different from Munich beers
3) The nearby monastry, Andechs, has a famous strong Doppelbock beer brewed by the monks
5) Franziskaner wheat beer is just that little bit better than all the others. I always have a crate of it at home as my main beer.
6) Unertl wheat beer is supposed to be excellent, but not my favourite
7) König Ludwig Dunkles is a good dark beer. KöLudu for short. It is still brewed in the old castle. I saw the prince, Prinz Luitpold there once on Jousting day.
8. ) Weltenburg dark is also brewed in a monastery by monks. Tourists can enjoy this strong 7% alc. beer on a visit by boat.
9) Augustiner Edelstoff. People round here rate it as the best beer in Munich. I like it!
10) Augustiner Helles. Not quite as strong as the Edelstoff, but still very popular.
Some, like Franziskaner and Andechs, you'll find exported everywhere. The rest are local favourites. I am spoilt by having several top breweries within a few km from my house.
It was fun setting up the beergarden table and fighting the tricky back lighting. Fill in was my new Nissin i40. But I think that was flooded out by the sun reflecting off the white house walls.
The Oktoberfest has just started. And it's just over a mile away from my place. So I'll be avoiding this thread for a while, and hopefully avoiding taking stupid selfies in a beer tent along with 8,000 other people. There are about 10 big tents that take between 6 -10,000 people and a few small ones for about 3000 people. It's a big horrible mess. But it becomes tolerable and then enjoyable once you start drinking the beer there.