1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show Australia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Aushiker, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    My vision for this thread is for members to share images that speak "Australia" to them, that show the character of what is Australia, what it means to be Australian, the scenic side of Australia and so on. I guess the diversity of what Australia is to you the photographer.

To get things rolling this first image is of a tractor, not just any tractor, but a tractor reflecting Australian farming heritage, a Chamberlain tractor manufactured by the Australian farm tractor manufacturer, Chamberlain Industries Pty Ltd which was established in 1947.

In the 80's the Chamberlain brand now part of Deere & Co of the US commenced its end as a tractor brand in Australia.

19474443178_667ac7c5fe_b.
    Chamberlain Countryman 6
    by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
  3. myhl

myhl Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    image.
    The lighthouse at Cape Schanck, Vic, Au

• Like Like x 3
  4. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    19854320645_378cbcb4fe_b.
    Edith Dircksey Cowan (1861-1932)

Edith Cowan was elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1921 as a Nationalist member for West Perth. She was the first woman member of any Australian Parliament. Her considerable experience and career in public life and committees enabled her to work effectively in Parliament. She pursued women’s interests with dignity and determination, despite the inevitable derision and opposition from male representatives in the house. In the 1924 elections, the West Perth business interests opposed her, some of her reforms were opposed by previous women supporters, and Edith Cowan was defeated.

• Like Like x 3
  5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    on the theme of the first post:

P1250091_1.

I recall as a youngster helping my grandfather with the old furrowing drags. this one is long out of service and in fact is missing a few parts, but it took me back many many years to when firstly livestock, and then tractors, would pull these around the paddocks.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew

A Forrest of Grasstrees

These plants are part of the Xanthorrhoea genus which are really plants not trees despite their common name of grasstrees or balga trees. In times past they where also known as Blackboys. This particular grove of grasstrees are babies going by their size. Xanthorrhoea commonly reach five metres in height at 200 years old and can keep growing for another 400 years.

• Like Like x 2
  10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    A7%20Highway.
    About 100kms roughly south of Charters towers on the A7 highway

• Like Like x 4
  11. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    fireandsurf.
    Not the best of images, I had just snapped this from the car, but it shows off the surf/beach is more important than the bushfire in the background...

• Like Like x 5
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sheep Sheer'r shed at Hay in NSW and
    Brisbane at night OI000013. OI000037.

• Like Like x 5
  13. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Having the good fortune of a job assignment in Oz during my corporate days, I find this thread quite enjoyable. Keep it going, please! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Three Sisters viewed from Scenic World in the Blue Mountains, NSW.
    M8315209_CaOne_adj-s.
    Three Sisters & Mount Solitary view from Scenic World
    M8315179-tl-cr-s.
    The Skyway
    M8315200-s.

A couple more taken at Echo Point by Butch (on my borrowed E30)
    P2134582-s.

If you look close you will see people are on a walkway out to the first of the Three Sisters.

P2134526_s.

This to me and many others is an iconic part of the Blue Mountains & a tourist location west of Sydney. Cheers & thanks for looking.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Aushiker

Sep 12, 2014
    Andrew
  17. Ross the fiddler

Hey Phil,
    Where was this one? And was this in 2007?
    It is rather classic with them just enjoying the beach while the bush burns nearby. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  18. Ross the fiddler

We have two species listed in the books of the Blue Mountains, Xanthorrhoea media (more upper Mountains) & Xanthorrhoea arborea found around the lower Blue Mountains (Xanthorrhoea arborea grows in dry sclerophyll forests around the Sydney Basin on the New South Wales Central Coast westwards over the Great Divide to Rylstone.).
    Unfortunately we did not have any naturally growing on our block when we bought it so we have planted them there ourselves with both species (I think).

Here's a bit more information about the genus, quoted from here.
    Xanthorrhoea (/zænθoʊˈriːə/) is a genus of about 30 species of flowering plants endemic to Australia and a member of familyXanthorrhoeaceae, being the only member of subfamily Xanthorrhoeoideae. The Xanthorrhoeaceae are monocots, part of order Asparagales.

19. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I agree it's a classic image..... even more scary when you consider just were the fire was in relation to the township itself.
    The location was Broulee South beach, NSW.
    Here's a Google earth view of the area, I have circled in yellow the approximate location of the fire, I don't recall how much area it actually covered but think it was just localised. The day was well into the high 30's and I could feel the heat from the flames were I was parked :)
    broulee fire.JPG

20. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Byron Bay, NSW .... iPhone :) IMG_6010.

• Like Like x 3