show "abandoned"

On a short afternoon bike tour I got off my usual path and stumbled upon a (semi?-)abandoned farming place.
P3070550_mu43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You could also get some food there, maybe the Potato Pub has been popular with nearby villagers sometime in the past. It seems however, the last beer was served quite a while ago. The building was fairly large, so it was most likely a typical rural event space for weekends.
P3070556_mu43.jpg

An old BBQ grill was sitting outside, instead of meat only some junk laying ready to be broiled.
P3070555_mu43.jpg

Trees have been growing through some subterranean openings since quite some time already...
P3070563_mu43.jpg

You won't be getting water through this hose anymore.
P3070565_mu43.jpg

Even if this fan would turn on, chances about it's blade disintegrating themselves would be pretty high.
P3070570_mu43.jpg

And a last one with some windows details, take a look at the belt which is actually still holding the otherwise lost window in place. Odd.
P3070578_mu43.jpg

I'll return to the location again at some point, however the sun was already setting, a chilly wind was blowing and there were some creepy noises all over the place. As the light slowly faded away, I got on my bike and left the place behind.

I had this location on my list since a few months, yesterday I finally got there by bike. Even though it was a beautiful, sunny day, the wind was more chilly than I expected and I got home earlier than I thought.

We are looking at a former testing facility for antennas, at least that's what I've found out about these structures. It has been used by former East Germany and later on by the Federal Postal Service of Germany until the early 2000s. Originally there were three towers, one got burned completely to the ground during a fire in the 1970s.
P3080654_DxO.jpg

I couldn't find any traces of the third tower, but maybe I just missed any traces. The structures are completely made of wood, I was surprised about that, because they looked like metal from the distance. Entrance is prohibited, although one can get easily inside the area, I respected the sign and stayed on public ground. Let alone climbing up there! You couldn't pay me enough money, not only because I'm afraid of heights, but combined with broken wood and missing planks, I wouldn't wanna go up there.:hide:
P3080665_DxO.jpg

The towers were about to be detonated about ten years ago, however a small group of local citizens managed to save them in the last minute. The bigger twin tower is quite impressive to say the least, it's a magnificent sight and pictures hardly do it any justice. On the ground you can see a typical, common utility building you'd find pretty much everywhere on former East German ground.
P3080680_mu43.jpg

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Found this bus yesterday.
Panasonic 14/2.5
1FD0B714-40C8-4F3B-B2C1-65D3F9DD309E.jpeg

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Found this "prairie ghost" yesterday out in no man's land...if anyone knows what the implements are, please identify them. Believe a couple are of plowshares. The last image is when you are approaching the site and gives an idea of the country and its loneliness.
RX100475-2.jpg
RX100480 (2).jpg
RX100482 (4).jpg
RX100485.jpg
RX100494 (2).jpg
RX100502.jpg
RX100504 (2).jpg
RX100505.jpg
RX100507.jpg
RX100511 (3).jpg

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
No estoy listo para esto todavía.
Abandoned house - Klondyke forest, Waikato;
P1060317.JPG

LucDeSchepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luc de Schepper
This little building seems like it was abandoned in space and subsequently dropped on earth.

Olympus E-M10II + Olympus 12-40mm f2.8

51049565871_c2039b39af_h.jpg

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Been looking for an attractive old, colorful, stone cabin to photograph for some time. The few I've found were either behind fences and warning signs or plain ugly. Believe I got lucky with this one found amongst some old cottonwood trees...no warning signs or fences!!
P1032891.jpg
P1032895.jpg
P1032897.jpg
P1032900.jpg
P1032902.jpg
P1032903.jpg
P1032905.jpg
P1032906.jpg
P1032910.jpg
P1032913.jpg

Been looking for an attractive old, colorful, stone cabin to photograph for some time. The few I've found were either behind fences and warning signs or plain ugly. Believe I got lucky with this one found amongst some old cottonwood trees...no warning signs or fences!! View attachment 880286 View attachment 880287 View attachment 880288 View attachment 880289 View attachment 880290 View attachment 880291 View attachment 880292 View attachment 880293 View attachment 880294 View attachment 880295
Beautiful series.
That certainly was very neatly constructed.
Interesting looking landscape too.
Stories hidden in those stones 🙂

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Very nice series.

There are quite a lot of these old stone ruins north of the Adelaide - Broken Hill road.

People built them during a series of wet years, and farmed. Then the normal dry periods returned, often decades at a time with 5" or less rain, and the farmers went broke and the little homesteads fell into ruin.

South Australia is the driest state on the driest inhabited continent on the planet.

Very nice series.

There are quite a lot of these old stone ruins north of the Adelaide - Broken Hill road.

People built them during a series of wet years, and farmed. Then the normal dry periods returned, often decades at a time with 5" or less rain, and the farmers went broke and the little homesteads fell into ruin.

South Australia is the driest state on the driest inhabited continent on the planet.
Reminds me of those early maps (1920's). Sheep and wheat, vegetation.
They tell a storey and fit the ruins into that topography explains their demise

Real Name
Brian
This is now technically a National Trust property here in the UK. :)
It's on part of their land which was bequeathed to them a few years ago.
I've been doing a bit of research and am pretty sure it's a left-over building from the second world war,
though it's not recorded on maps dating from 1948.
A section of our village was used by the military, part of which became known as RAF Folly.
There are a few other buildings in various states of disrepair on private land but this is the only one within view of the roadside.
2103-38-EM5:2-12:45.jpg

E-M5/2 12-45mm.

Edit: I've just discovered that RAF Folly was an RAF Radar Navigational Unit established at the beginning of WW2 to service radar navigational masts located at Folly Farm, Nolton Haven and along the sea cliffs.

Last edited:
P1220017.jpg

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The old Hook & Ladder Firehouse #8 was purchased by a developer that has plans to convert it into a “cool bar” (his words) and 3 or 4 apartments. No time table for the project, but I thought I’d head over for some pics. Wish I could’ve gotten inside – no luck for access or even a peek look. Only problem was it started pouring rain just as I got there.

Pen F and Pany 14mm f2.5 lens
pen032821_3_edited-1 copy_edited-1.jpg

pen032821_12_edited-3.jpg

P3280021_edited-2.jpg

P3280025_edited-3.jpg

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Look! An old truck! Abandoned....
DAC70CE5-86A4-4EE6-B893-5D88097F2324.jpeg

OM-D M5ii 30mm f3.5 macro
5 shot HDR

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Another old house lost to time and the woodlands...

Regards,

Edd
OH-1.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom