show "abandoned"

Spending my shelter at home going through my 2016 backlog. This visit came two years after my first, and I was appalled at the destruction from vandalism. Almost didn't take any pictures, and it's not until four years after that I could commit to posting anything from the set. Besides the deep disappointment with how the site had been treated, I struggled with how to process the images. I generally try not to play too much with color, preferring to document the way a site actually looks, but in this case an expired film treatment helped tame the subject matter and harsh lighting, anyway enough for me to put this behind me. GX7 / o9-18

P4680580 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680536 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680564 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680644 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680484 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680551 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

P4680616 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Spending my shelter at home going through my 2016 backlog. This visit came two years after my first, and I was appalled at the destruction from vandalism. Almost didn't take any pictures, and it's not until four years after that I could commit to posting anything from the set. Besides the deep disappointment with how the site had been treated, I struggled with how to process the images. I generally try not to play too much with color, preferring to document the way a site actually looks, but in this case an expired film treatment helped tame the subject matter and harsh lighting, anyway enough for me to put this behind me. GX7 / o9-18

View attachment 811116P4680580 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811117P4680536 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811118P4680564 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811119P4680644 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811120P4680484 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811121P4680551 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr

View attachment 811122P4680616 by Lewis Francis, on Flickr
Can you give us more info? Other than the fact that these appears to be parts and pieces of an electric train, I have no context. What is the significance? Nice photos BTW, and excellent processing.

Can you give us more info? Other than the fact that these appears to be parts and pieces of an electric train, I have no context. What is the significance? Nice photos BTW, and excellent processing.
Thanks. My understanding is the gentleman who owns this property ran a trolley restoration business for some years. He sourced trolleys from all over the country and I believe his restorations are in museums and perhaps some are still in service. When I first visited in 2014 the site was still a well-kept secret, there was very little graffiti to speak of, and most windows were intact. Just two years later, hardly any windows remained, vandalism was rampant with indiscriminate and inartful tagging. I really felt physically ill when I saw the site the second time, wish I hadn't waited so long to return.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Glen
.... no more secret spots... one of the downfalls of the Web and social media. I photographed an abandoned in the woods box truck a couple of months ago. Last week I returned to the spot and some "group" had their mark on it. Rust in peace seems to becoming a thing of the past.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few from an abandoned slate mine in the Lake District.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
Man I hate to see beautiful old homes in this sad state. I love history, old architecture. I look at a house like that and wonder about the people that lived there, the families, the kids who grew up there.
Me too.. I found another one with little left, on the north bank of the Salt River in Phoenix west of 67th. Ave.. Both shot with my EM1.3 and Oly Pro 12-40/2.8, handheld and using HHHR, which I LOVE.
2020Apr01_House Ruins #1_4010025_1500w.jpg

2020Apr01_House Ruins #2_4010027_1500w.jpg

Last edited:

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is probably the most photographed old garage in Utah.

dancebert

Mu-43 Veteran

Seen in the rubble of a building being demolished.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
An abandoned whaling station on Deception Island, Antarctica.

Abandoned-2.jpg

Abandoned-3.jpg

Abandoned-4.jpg

Abandoned-5.jpg

Abandoned-6.jpg

Abandoned-7.jpg

Abandoned-8.jpg

Abandoned-9.jpg

Abandoned-1.jpg

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Crusher mill for apples, Oliver's Cider & Perry, Herefordshire, UK

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
^^^^^ Those are brilliant. The tanks are particularly odd, and the landscape is ghostly. Well done.

Thanks for the kind words Don. The large tanks were used to store the whale oil that was produced by boiling down whale blubber. When you see the size of the tanks, and their number, it's an extremely sobering experience. To think that many species were brought to the edge of extinction in order that people could have light in their homes.

Deception island is actually the top of an active volcano, hence the dark landscape.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom