Shoulder Camera Bag for M43 kit Poll

Rangerdave

Mu-43 Rookie
I've been looking into bags since getting my EM-5 too, and as my lens collection is growing on a weekly basis (can't help buying cheap old manual glass) my Crumpler Turkish Shower backpack is struggling to cope with its limited camera compartment.

Have seen this that looks interesting;

DSLR Canvas Camera Backpack Shoulder Carry 14'' Macbook Bag Canon Nikon Sony | eBay

but might be a bit big for your needs!

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, interested in what others say here!

EM-5, Oly 12-50, Oly 45, Oly 40-150, Pan 100-300
Oly 50 1.8, Oly 50 3.5 Macro, Oly Zuiko 75-150, Sigma 400

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
Thanks to Robbie and Tam, tonight I've ordered a Billingham Hadley Small from eBay. I've gone for the tan colour.

matz03

Mu-43 Rookie
f-stop bags

It looks like you've already decided but I would've suggested you look at f-stop bags, for your purpose the f-stop bandon Bandon | f-stop
I own the slightly smaller f-stop shibata and love that bag, I carried a GH2 with 7-14 mounted, 100-300 in one side and two more lenses in the other divider. There's room for batteries and filters and stuff plus an ipad. The quality is great and prices are reasonable on the millar series bags.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice bag but it's huge.

I've been looking into bags since getting my EM-5 too, and as my lens collection is growing on a weekly basis (can't help buying cheap old manual glass) my Crumpler Turkish Shower backpack is struggling to cope with its limited camera compartment.

Have seen this that looks interesting;

DSLR Canvas Camera Backpack Shoulder Carry 14'' Macbook Bag Canon Nikon Sony | eBay

but might be a bit big for your needs!

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, interested in what others say here!

EM-5, Oly 12-50, Oly 45, Oly 40-150, Pan 100-300
Oly 50 1.8, Oly 50 3.5 Macro, Oly Zuiko 75-150, Sigma 400

Rangerdave

Mu-43 Rookie
Nice bag but it's huge.
I thought that, but it's difficult to work out just how big against a (small) Asian man (no offence) it's not until you get a tape measure and check the dimensions given, that it actually seems about right (for me anyway!)

I do like the design and multiple ways of attaching a tripod or other gear, plus it can be used as a normal bag with the camera and laptop inserts removed.

Might still buy it yet, only way to tell I guess.........and it will be used regardless!

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd have recommended the Billingham Hadley Pro, getting the photographer slightly more capacity given an additional 2.5 inches in length, along with a carry handle. Handle is useful when navigating tight crowds and going into and out of vehicles. The Pro version's one and a half extra inches of height allows a longer lens; stacking, or perhaps an FL-600R flash unit inside the main cavity.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Thanks to Robbie and Tam, tonight I've ordered a Billingham Hadley Small from eBay. I've gone for the tan colour.
You should also consider the optional shoulder pad (I think it is the SP 40). It stops the bag from slipping off your shoulder.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Veteran
Hey, im also a small Asian man but my gut is very big.....

The exterior dimensions are a little bigger (2cm here, 1 cm there, etc.) than the ThinkTank Retrospective 30 so this will have lots of room for carrying a LOT of m43 gear. They should make one a little smaller one.

I thought that, but it's difficult to work out just how big against a (small) Asian man (no offence) it's not until you get a tape measure and check the dimensions given, that it actually seems about right (for me anyway!)

I do like the design and multiple ways of attaching a tripod or other gear, plus it can be used as a normal bag with the camera and laptop inserts removed.

Might still buy it yet, only way to tell I guess.........and it will be used regardless!

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Take a look at the Lowepro Classified AW160.. I have had several Lowepros in this series, all spectacular.

A true over the shoulder bag, it doesn't scream 'camera!' as it employs a classy flap theat drops over the bag removing all hint of zippers, fastenings and contents. The 160 has a strap to keep it from sliding around the body Don't let it's svelte urban looks fool you, it's tough as nails and the hard nylon takes a lot of abuse without showing any wear. I have seen well used versions which look like new. Mine is three years old, is my main bag, and it looks like it just came from the shop. Very well made.

The main satchel area has three compartments, enough for a camera and several lenses plus plus (chargers, flash etc) and there are front and rear zippered compartments also. An inline sipper tucked away under the front cloak loosens up the bag for even more room and the entire thing can be shrouded for rain in a second by pulling out a waterproof cloak from the bottom and slipping it over the shell. All zippers are rain-screened, out of the way.

See Lowepro - Classified 160 AW

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
Great response to the poll so far. Keep your votes coming. For those who have voted other, I will update the poll in the coming weeks to add some of the bags your suggested and drop the ones above with the least votes.

So far looks like the TT Retrospective 7 is the leader, followed closely by the Retrospective 5, Billingham Hadleys small and Domke F-803

Rangerdave

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey, im also a small Asian man but my gut is very big.....

The exterior dimensions are a little bigger (2cm here, 1 cm there, etc.) than the ThinkTank Retrospective 30 so this will have lots of room for carrying a LOT of m43 gear. They should make one a little smaller one.

I agree, a slightly smaller one would be great, there are others out there, but not with this many options!
You seem to have to pay a premium for the big name boys, which is fine if the quality is there and you like labels, but in reality they are probably all made in the same place and out of the same materials, plus the savings can be huge!

:thumbup:

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Domke F-5XC back image.

Image of the Domke F-5XC (not an mu43 photo)with the David Busch book inserted into the back slot pocket. Book is 9 x7.5 x1". An iPad placed in a protective sleeve would probably fit, but be sticking up like the book.

I also use occasionally a 1st gen Timbuk2 Snoop size small. The bag has a laptop pocket large enough to stick the MacBook into. Large enough to pack all your current gear if you don't mind stacking lens.

Attachments

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I might give a Retrospective another try with the small micro 4/3 gear. I sold my TTR20 after my Canon gear kept getting snagged on the way in and on the way out. I'd pull my 5D with 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II mounted on it and dang if the reverse hood didn't get caught on something. A second hand helped untangle. I've come to feel that any bag that conforms to the body will be challenging to get stuff in and out in a hurry with little or no fuss. I'd be an irony if something designed to protect helped to enhance the chance of dropping something costly.

lucaloren

New to Mu-43
F6 and OMD

I have Domke F-6, omd+grip, 12mm, 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 40-50mm, 45mm, and sigma 19mm, fl600r flash+diffuser, batteries+charger+filers..etc
Hi, I was interested in your response. I am currently looking at the F6 but am unsure of whether it will fit my kit. I have a EM5 with full grip attached and the P7-14, P12-35, P35-100 and P100-300.

are you able to post any pics of the F6 with all your kit just so I can get a sense of how it fits?

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Hi, I was interested in your response. I am currently looking at the F6 but am unsure of whether it will fit my kit. I have a EM5 with full grip attached and the P7-14, P12-35, P35-100 and P100-300.

are you able to post any pics of the F6 with all your kit just so I can get a sense of how it fits?

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
I agree, a slightly smaller one would be great, there are others out there, but not with this many options!
You seem to have to pay a premium for the big name boys, which is fine if the quality is there and you like labels, but in reality they are probably all made in the same place and out of the same materials, plus the savings can be huge!

:thumbup:
The Domke bags I use (F-5XB & XC) are both made in the USA. Assuming mainland not territorial USA. USA labor costs as well as the brand do result in a premium price. The "sale" prices on both these bags made them a decent value.

If you can live without the iPad and no long tele lens the XB for 3-4 primes and one body makes for a light & compact package. On my overseas non-photo trips where weight & volume(no checked luggage)is an important factor the XB has been the bag of choice. GF-1 +LVF or G2 body, 14-45mm, 20mm and 45-200mm, couple spare batteries plus compact charger, grey card, ND graduate filter, cleaning kit and a few spare SD cards all fit nicely into the bag.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
My Billingham Hadley small bag arrived tonight just before I went out for dinner. First impressions.......perfect for my kit. I quickly loaded it. Packed full it can take my OMD with 12,17,25,45 and 75mm lenses.

I'll post some photos or perhaps even a video, over the weekend, of the bag with my OMD kit.

Huelight

Mu-43 Regular
I have just taken delivery of a new Slate Blue Retrospective 5 to replace my old worn Hadley Pro and must say I am delighted with it! It holds all my OM-D gear including iPad mini and looks and feels great in use.

Highly recommended.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you guys want to avoid a bag packed to the gills so that you have to remove stuff to get at other stuff and if you want to swap lenses with ease without having to find a table to borrow, you need to get one of these.

View attachment 259570

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
I voted F-5XC because that's the bag I have. I use the bottom compartment for lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom