Shoulder Camera Bag for M43 kit Poll

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Richella, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    So I converted from my big heavy Nikon D3s kit in December and have now completed my GAS on M43. I now have all I could want (for now).

Olympus OM-D
    12mm f2
    17mm f1.8
    25mm f1.4
    45mm f1.8
    75mm f1.8

I'm now on the quest for a small camera bag that will allow me to carry the OM-D and 3-4 lenses plus my ipad and spare battery.

I've been searching the web exhaustively and found lots of info, too much info, leaving me confused and bewildered so I thought I would try a different approach and try a user poll.
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    What about the Tenba mini messenger? Timbuk2 D-Lux? Timbuk2s in XS? And, those of us who have more than one bag for your stated purpose?
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I have the F10 and it won't fit an iPad.
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Neither will the F-5XB, although the F-5XC might (I don't have an iPad to try in mine).
  5. redcannon5

redcannon5 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011
    Edmonton, Canada
    iPad won't fit in the Retrospective 5.
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    The OP is also looking at carrying 7 lenses. For bags that would work look at the Tenba mini messenger and Timbuk2 S Snoop or D-Lux w/ Snoop insert. I don't have familiarity with ThinkTank nor Domke bags.
  7. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    A Cheap bag solution but I have Tamrac Rally 5 that fits my om-d, 3 lenses (Possibly fit more) and iPad. With $60-70 price tag, cannot complain! I carry the bag everywhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    Below are my thoughts and opinions as someone who has bought and then sold a large number of bags.

Bags I've owned:

Domke F-5xc: Will hold a good number of lenses, but the place for the iPad is in a back slot that won't be held shut with anything. I wouldn't get it.

Domke F-5xb: Will hold body + 2-3 lense. No iPad at all.

Timbuk2 Snoop Small: Overkill (too big) for the kit you want. Can hold a 14" laptop. Personally, I wasn't a fan of this bag and just sold it. Others love it though.

TT Retrospective 5: Will hold body + 2-5 lenses or flash. iPad can fit in the front pocket, but it makes the bag a bit front heavy. Look for pictures online.

I actually have a Thinktank Citywalker 20 on order that should arrive in a few days. It might be more what you're looking for. Good luck. I know I've gone through over a dozen bags trying to find a good set to keep. As of now, my 3 bags are...

Domke F-5xa for carrying camera, 2 lenses, accesories

Thinktank Retrospective 5 for camera, 3-4 lenses, FL-600R flash, accessories, Motorola Xoom tablet (iPad-esque in size)

Thinktank Citywalker 20 for camera, 3-4 lenses, Fl-600R flash, accesories and a 13" Macbook Pro. I don't have it yet, but it's coming.
  9. Xuma

Xuma New to Mu-43

May 30, 2012
    Morgan Hill, CA
    David Fredericks
    I'm somewhat of a bag junkie, always looking for the perfect bag (which doesn't exist). I have a Retrospective 7 that I like because it has lots of pockets for stuff. I also like my LowePro Passport which is slightly smaller but is a very handy bag for MFT camera and two or three lenses. The Passport is also a lot cheaper. Also have a Domke F-4AF which is too big and clunky. The Domke uses a dog leash type clip to hold the top closed and I find those type of clips to be very unhandy. The Passport is zipper opening (no flap) and the Retrospective 7 is flap with velcro (or gravity). And a Tamrac Aria 3 (too small and shiny). And, finally, a Clik Elite Magnesian 20 (best flap fastener but bag is a little stiff and crowded). Had a Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home but I gave it to my son because I didn't like the flap clip and it was a little small. Also, we didn't discuss backpacks ;-)

Most of your lenses are small so you have a lot of choices (unfortunately). Your whole kit would fit in the Passport except the iPad. Your kit and the iPad would fit in the Retrospective 7.
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I have the Billingham Hadley Small. Absolutely the perfect bag for me.

It can carry OMD+lens, +4 more lens, + ipad, + accessories.

It has quick release straps and the bag stands up (as oppose to falls over) when you place it down.
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Of the ones you listed I have the Thinktank Retrospective 5 and Retrospective 7, and the Snoop Camera Messenger in Small.

The Thinktank Retrospective 5 is probably my recommendation, unless the iPad is an absolute requirement, in which case you have to step up to the 7 to carry it in the rear pocket. The 5 is too small for an iPad (unless it's the iPad mini). Both bags are almost identical design, but the Retro 5 is just such a great small size for carrying around I like it a little more than the 7.

The Snoop bag is also very good, and will definitely fit an iPad - it actually fits a 13" macbook so an iPad is no sweat. You could potentially even get an XS size bag instead. The Snoop isn't as well designed of a camera bag as the TT Retro series in my opinion, but its major advantages are 1) It's waterproof, without needing a separate rain cover - I can vouch for this as I stood outside in the rain with it all day without a problem. 2) it looks like a messenger bag instead of a camera bag or man purse.

By the way, you can fit the XS insert in the S size Snoop Messenger (I have both size inserts) and it'll leave a little extra room side to side. If you don't need the space for camera gear, it can fit something else, or just leave a little space so the bag can wrap around your body more comfortably.
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I guess one question is are you looking for a bag to hold it all?

For my big gear I have 2 bags that hold all my stuff. They both go with me to events. But then I have 3 smaller bags for everything from 1-3 pieces up through 4-5. For small lenses and one for FX body and 70-200 f2.8 attached.

Personally for the everything bags I like the Lowepro Magnum and Stealth Reporters. For smaller, there are so many options that I don't have a preference that is any better than any other.
  13. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks Robbie. Must say I'm really tempted by the Hadley small. Enduring quality and style. Looks like a good compromise between weekend day bag for just a couple of lenses and a travel bag for more lenses and iPad.
  14. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I'm mostly looking for a small day bag for shooting at weekends with OMD + 2-3lenses but it would be great if it would double as travel bag for 3-4lenses and iPad.

On small bag front the Retro5 and Domke F803 looked good. For travel the Hadley small looks like my fav.
  15. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks Jon. Perhaps I could just get you to buy and test all the bags on the list and them let me know which one I should get ?

I like the Retro 5 and Domke F803 as small day bags but am tending towards Hadley small as good day bag and travel bag.
  16. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I'm with Robbie: the Hadley Small has quenched my thirst for bags for a year now (easily a record for me!)

I have an E-M5, O40-150, 9-18, P20, O45, table-top tripod and the usual accessories in it. Room for my X100 in a front pocket if I need it, and an ipad. 1-2 other lenses would fit too.

No loud velcro, very comfortable, light, weatherproof, durable, good-looking (IMHO). Downside: it's expensive.
  17. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur

Thanks Tam. Think I'm convinced. Just been waiting for someone to confirm that the Hadley small would hold all the kit you've listed.

What colour did you go for? I'm think either the full black or the light tan.
  18. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have Domke F-6, omd+grip, 12mm, 9-18mm, 12-50mm, 40-50mm, 45mm, and sigma 19mm, fl600r flash+diffuser, batteries+charger+filers..etc
  19. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Rich, I have the sage green :)
  20. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    I've just ordered the Tenba Discovery Messenger Photo/Laptop bag. I think it looks even nicer than the Mini Messenger, and will fit quite alot of gear in it. Should be here in a day or 2.
    I'm hoping to fit in the OM-D + grip + 12-35/2.8, 60/2.8, 100-300, PL25/1.4, FL-600R, E-PL5+MF lens for UV + another flash for UV. Oh yeah, forgot to mention my iPad with Logitech Ultrathin keyboard. There should be enough space in there for this and maybe more. I'll report back when it is here. Maybe I can squeeze in the 75/1.8 in there somewhere, or perhaps my Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 which is excellent on M43.