1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shoulder brace

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tribomber, Dec 26, 2012.

1. tribomber

tribomber Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Scott
    My interest is wildlife and bird photography with my new (to me) Oly E-PL2 and Panny 45-200mm zoom lens. Yes, I realize this lens does not have great reach for the subject, and hope to add a Panny 100-300mm when the bank account allows it. Results so far are okay, but it's winter, so I haven't been out and about that much.

I recently saw a semi-pro bird photographer speak, and was impressed with his DIY setup - a shoulder rig that allows him to quickly pull his camera to a shooting position, aim, and take the shot. It looked simple, light, and easily carried when slung down at the waist.

Has anyone else done such a setup without spending much? I've seen the Stedi-Stock and another setup using the Manfrotto 361 and a pistol-grip, as well as other slicker setups at higher prices. But I haven't found much comment on such things in the forums here. Has anyone found found such setups beneficial, or are they just unneeded gadgetry?

Thanks for any insights/help.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always use my flash bracket for a shoulder or arm brace. I've been shooting like that for decades.

3. tribomber

tribomber Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Scott
    Thanks Ned, but I can't picture it. Can you describe it, or better yet, provide pics?