Shoulder brace

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tribomber, Dec 26, 2012.

1. tribomber

tribomber Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Scott
    My interest is wildlife and bird photography with my new (to me) Oly E-PL2 and Panny 45-200mm zoom lens. Yes, I realize this lens does not have great reach for the subject, and hope to add a Panny 100-300mm when the bank account allows it. Results so far are okay, but it's winter, so I haven't been out and about that much.

I recently saw a semi-pro bird photographer speak, and was impressed with his DIY setup - a shoulder rig that allows him to quickly pull his camera to a shooting position, aim, and take the shot. It looked simple, light, and easily carried when slung down at the waist.

Has anyone else done such a setup without spending much? I've seen the Stedi-Stock and another setup using the Manfrotto 361 and a pistol-grip, as well as other slicker setups at higher prices. But I haven't found much comment on such things in the forums here. Has anyone found found such setups beneficial, or are they just unneeded gadgetry?

Thanks for any insights/help.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always use my flash bracket for a shoulder or arm brace. I've been shooting like that for decades.

3. tribomber

tribomber Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Scott
    Thanks Ned, but I can't picture it. Can you describe it, or better yet, provide pics?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.