Should you ditch your E-M5 for the E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by johnvanr, Oct 3, 2013.

1. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Good read John. Thanks for sharing. I haven't touched an E-M1 as of yet, but what you point out makes perfect sense based on the reviews I've read. I'm sure I'd prefer the E-M1 all things being equal with regard to cost, but I can't justify the upcharge.

The biggest driver that I see is for folks who already have nice 4/3s lens options in their camera bags. That would drive me to purchase the 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Great Read!! I opted to sell my OMD to my brother to get the EM-1. I am an unapologetic upgrader. At least the OMD stays in the family =)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi John,

I'm really enjoying your blog entries. As a fellow 5D3 owner, I'm very curious about how the focus tracking of the E-M1 works. I'm a parent, not a professional, and the question in my mind is: could you achieve some amount of success with the E-M1 at a kids' soccer game? Even if I held onto the 5D3 for that, how does the E-M1 work for kids or other moving objects otherwise?

Thanks for your contributions!

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    While I agree that all the things you noted are true, and perhaps to some will be big enough issues to upgrade I think it really boils down to 2 issues:

1. Size - without the grip the E-M5 is smaller, with even the landscape grip the E-M5 is slightly heavier and larger than the E-M1.

2. 4/3 lens performance - the E-M1 actually works, calling the E-M5 marginal is being nice. MF is the only reliable solution on non-CDAF optimized 4/3 lenses on the E-M5.

If you are using 4/3 lenses and the grip (which with 4/3 lenses is really a must) then upgrade. If not personally I would not bother. The E-M5 focus performance with native m43 lenses is excellent, and the files are very nice. 9fps vs 10 fps is really a moot point, the bigger issue is buffer size and while 50 is great with the E-M1 not many people need it. If I didn't have some longer 4/3 glass the E-M5 would be plenty of body.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Looks pretty thorough, thanks for sharing.

Despite having waited for something like the E-M1 for several years, I'm debating canceling my pre-order. As exciting as the improvements are, I'm having a hard time seeing how the E-M1 will be worth twice the price to me that the E-M5 is now. Perhaps if I wasn't a nearly broke student, I would see things differently!
  7. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I am no longer a broke student and I have Canon gear I don't use anymore I can sell to fund a E-M1 and still I hesitate to even consider an order. For the following reasons:

1) The price is likely to drop quickly if it doesn't sell well
    2) The improvements are nice but it's not blowing anything out of the water
    3) If Olympus acts like Olympus the E-M5 will get refreshed with more improvements before the E-M1 price is reasonable. And the worse part is that refresh likely will include a new sensor with actual improvements to image quality

I really would like a copy of the 12-40 though. But if I am honest I would use it rarely as I love using primes on the E-M5. So even there... but I do think I will eventually get it because it's the perfect travel lens for me.
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Nice read, John! You summarized the differences between the two cameras nicely. I look forward to reading your E-M1 and 5D MkIII comparison...
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Really the main thing that's making my upgrade bug itch is the possibility of me going to Africa in January, and the way the E-M1 opens to door to good quality longer glass with workable AF; the 50-200 seems like an idea safari lens to me, with or without TC, and I have the 100-300 as backup for when I really need/want ultimate reach. On a trip like this, the 5DII is still tagging along for wide/landscape duty anyway.
  10. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Cancelled my pre order of EM1

after careful consideration I decided to cancel my preorder of EM1. The line at B&H is less one person. OP, your review and several others contributed to my decision. My decision is based solely on the $1400 price. I don't own/plan to get any 43 lenses. The grip and ergonomics and viewfinder are all great things. But at the end of the day I just could not deal with the price tag of more than I paid for my refurbished Nikon D600.

I will ultimately get EM1 when it gets lower in price.
  11. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    I love the technological improvements made with the E-M1, especially the on-sensor PDAF, but for now I'm really happy with my E-M5. So I'll hold off on upgrading for now.
  12. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Nope. When we talk about specs, yes EM-1 is the best but in reality the photo's result almost the same as EM5. Maybe in high ISO EM-1 truly shine but i think the different were not significant. Also the body's model......kinda strange. EM5 more good looking

Here's from Mingthein's blog. He made compare between EM-1 and EM-5. Not so different and u can have the same result by minor editing on photoshop.

But i considered the lens! 12-40mm f2.8 so tempting hahahahaha
  13. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    I want the lens too:)
  14. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    After researching several "first impression" blogposts, and reading numerous opinions, I decided not to buy the E-M1. Had I decided otherwise, I would not ditch the E-M5. Instead, I would keep the E-M5 as a backup body.

I did, however, pre-order the 12-40 lens.
  15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I didn't see anything posted so I won't bother with this thread.
  16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I say yes if you got the dough $1400 is not chump change.
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Did you really post to say you are not going to post?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    at the other end...

Way past broke student, now am broke senior on fixed income. :frown: I am starting to save my pennies and maybe next year will get new 12-40 zoom. :biggrin: but in a couple of years after I've mastered the E-M5 I will look for an upgrade.
  19. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    That's right, no need to get the EM1, for those looking for a cheap EM5+grip as backup or a new body that does it all, I have one for sale in the Buy & Sale section :biggrin:

But seriously, aside from the physical improvements, the IQ improvement is so minute that I'm not sure how much real-world benefit the EM1 will offer over EM5.
  20. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    There's simply no rational financial sense in ordering an em1 over an em5, unless you're loaded.

I'm neither loaded or rational - which is presumably why I've just pre-ordered the em1. I must be suffering from GAS?!?!
    • Like Like x 2