should wait for new mk3 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by the new guy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    hello

i am currently thinking about moving to a mirrorless. i didnt like the sony buttons and fuji is a bit too big...was thinking about the omd10mk2 ' tried it in the store and it felt pretty good in the hand. maybe a little bit like a toy and the card slot seems really fragile but then heard from someone a new version supposed to come out soon - anybody knows anything about it and is it worth waiting ?

2. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

There's always something new just around the corner. You can waste your life away, waiting for the latest "new thing."

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, I love bargains, and wall gladly shop last year's (or last decade's) technology for a bargain.

But now and then, I get the "wantsies," and just have to have the latest and greatest.

One problem with waiting, is then you have "buyer's remorse" when something even better inevitably comes along!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    i hear you

..its not about the new thing but more because i am finding it hard to decide with olymopus or a different brand altogether. if i new there was a big difference with the mk3 i will propebly wait but, yeah, i guess u r right.
    thanks

4. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Olympus's biggest strength is the in-body image stabilization. If you never want to think about using a tripod, go with Olympus.

And the glass. I've been using Olympus glass for some 40 years. There's something special about it. They push the limits, with large apertures, super-wides, etc.

And macro. Olympus seems to have the best support for macro, both in camera features, lenses, and lighting systems. I don't think anyone else has the equivalent of "focus stacking."

If you don't care much about those things, other brands may well be a better choice.

If you do care about those things, the current D10-II does a good job with them!

5. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    And there is always the question should you buy 10mk3, or 5mkii - pricewise, there probably won't be much of a difference. And you can already have one used in mint condition for the same prise.
    Advantages - better ibis, high res mode, better viewfinder, better build, and waterproof.
    Mk3 will probably have newer sensor, but in my eyes, the stepups are marginal

6. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    thanks

i am more of an everyday street shooter, also i need the camera for travelling. of course i know about all the adventages but comared in image quality i believe its a bit less than fuji for example - i checked in cameralabs pictures made with both cameras and found the fuji's are a bit better. is the image stabilizer in low light actually will get equel results as a big apc sensor for example because i can use slower speeds, is it just the same ? i heard its not very usable above 800 iso and i do like taking pictures in dim light, its the magic hour :)

7. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Well, no, you'll get different results.

Do you routinely use a tripod? If that doesn't bother you or cramp your style, go with the bigger sensor.

But the photo you get without a tripod is better than the one you don't take because you forgot (or didn't want to carry) your tripod, no?

Assuming you don't have a tripod with either, I'd say the Olympus is going to take the better low-light picture, simply because the bigger sensor without the five-stop IBIS is going to have to push the ISO up so far that the two will get equally noisy photos.

Olympus claims over FIVE STOPS of IS — over six if you use their IS lens. I routinely shoot hand-held at well over a second, with a telephoto, even!

You can't imagine how liberating Olympus's IBIS is until you use it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    sounds great, although many of the other brands names are sabilized - i have a good offer for a almost new fuji xe2 with 18-55 and a new one from the store of the 10mk2 with the kit lens, the one from the store will cost a bit more. its a tough call, i dont use tripos but with image stabilizer on lens or body it would propebly be the same result

9. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

You can go on thinking that, or you can just try them out. Olympus is pretty much acknowledged as the IS king.

Lens IS also means you are stuck with the camera maker's lenses — for better or worse.

On the other hand, my stable of 40-year-old Olympus OM Zuiko glass is magically as stable as (probably more stable as) whatever Fuji is offering this week, which may not work when they upgrade their next body.

10. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    i understand

the thing is that i tend to use the classic 35 50 mm perspectives so actually one or two good lenses is enopuh for me. going to try them both and see. thanks

btw. because i can get a nice cheaper price for an ex2 and 18-55 to a omd10mk2 with 14-42 and as i understand its not a very good lens it means i will have to invest in olympus lenses and that would make it even more expansive. what do you think ?
    is the kit lens that bad ?

11. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    This week i had the pleasure to shoot Nikon d800 - little photowalk with a friend of mine in the evening in Kiew. Well my 5II just blew her away - she had to shoot iso 1600 1/250s wide open - the results were waaay to noisy (honestly, i expected much better results). I was comfortably shooting iso 200 1/60s(i don't mind a bit of movement blur) - guess who's files looked cleaner and with better Details?

It is really hard to compare IQ and noise, unless you try it by yourself - many post processed files, some brands even apply raw denoising in camera - so it looks cleaner.

Just pick a camera which fits your hand and most needs - IQ isn't a problem today at all.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. the new guy

the new guy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 20, 2017
    thank you

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If you wait for the Mk3 it may have a flippy screen instead of the current tilt screen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    A couple pictures to demonstrate how the stabilization may promote a lower ISO - the light levels are somewhat similar,

Olympus OMD EM5 MK1 - 15mm 1.7 1/60 ISO 800
    32859129093_750ebdda7a_o.

Fuji XE 2 - 35mm 1.4 1/125 @iso@iso 2500
    DSCF1847Z2.

15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    There will probably not be a major advance in sensor/ image quality in next model, so I think you are ok to get the current one without too much worry.

16. Andy H.

Andy H. Mu-43 Regular

NO, the "kit" lens is actually pretty good (14-42 EZ that is). In comparison to my 12-35 f2.8 Panasonic, my EZ compares very favorably in normal outside shooting. In 8x10s, there's hardly a difference compared to the difference in price!
    Maybe my 14-42 is exceptional, but I know I will keep it unless Oly comes up with an improved version!

17. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

I'm not a huge fan of "kit lenses."

What I would recommend is a used OMD 5.2, then buy a bunch of legacy glass, if you're not afraid to focus yourself. You can easily find some well-regarded manual focus glass that will get you the classic "50mm look;" I'd recommend the OM Zuiko 28/2, which is one of the best lenses EVER, according to Gary Reese, who has done extensive independent testing. But at the bargain end, the OM Zuiko 24/2.8 was no slouch at all, a very fine lens that sells cheap because its ƒ2 version is so highly regarded.

Getting the "35 mm look" will take more effort. I imagine the OM Zuiko 18/3.5 is still very pricey. Collectors hoard them.

And that's just OM glass, which I bring up because I am very familiar with it. You can read reviews and adapt to essentially any 35mm lens to get what you want!

Someone, somewhere has purchased a brand new OMD 1.2, and their wife is harping on them to sell some of their older stuff. Your gain!

BTW: I spend close to half my photo time with manual focus. I don't know which other models have it, but what they call "focus peaking" is absolutely wonderful. It outlines areas of perfect focus in red. It essentially turns a human being into a servo motor as part of a relatively slow auto-focus system. And it works with essentially anything you can attach to the front of the camera! I have it assigned to a front button, so I can quickly turn it on.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The E-M10 i or E-M10 ii don't stop taking great images when the iii is introduced. If they fit your needs now and are priced right, there is little reason to wait. Especially since there has been no actual info on what a new model might have that existing ones don't.

And getting a used older model leaves room for glass - which is where the most investment should be in anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I agree with @TNcasual@TNcasual.
    Start by investing in good glass.

I've got an Olympus OMD EM5 MK II and earlier this year I've purchased a second hand EM10 MK II as a second body and travel camera.
    These cameras started to surface on second hand market for nice prices and even brand new they are now a bit more cheaper.
    I'm using the EM10 MK II more than the EM5 MK II and I don't see any noticeable difference in image quality (I did not pixel peeping yet).
    It is more compact than the other OMD models, and the menus and most of the features are the same. I'm enjoying very much my EM10 MKII as much as I enjoy the EM5 MK II.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  20. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The kit lens is fine, but you'll probably want a dedicated 25mm (cheap) and 17mm (or 15 or 20).

I've heard great things about the Fuji kit lens though. It is considerably faster than your average kit zoom.

If you're up for buying used, an EM10m2 won't drop that much when the new model comes out.

And have you looked at the Panasonic GX80/GX85?