1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should or shouldn't I repurchase a Panasonic pancake prime?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by agentlossing, Aug 28, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, so I have owned both the 14mm f2.5 and the 20mm f1.7 in the past, and got rid of them for different reasons (14mm because I needed the money, 20mm because I had some banding on the old EM10, and I didn't like the focus speed for street). The 14mm was way back at the beginning of my m4/3 foray, and I perhaps didn't give it enough time to fully appreciate it. I do remember marveling at how tiny the thing was. I was impressed by the 20mm's sharpness.

I have the Oly 17mm f2.8, and the 25mm f1.8, and I definitely lean towards wide to wide-normal. Somehow the 17mm just feels slower and clunkier on the GX85, no doubt just due to the loud and hunting-happy focus motor, but I keep wishing DfD was active in lessening the amount of hunting. So I'm leaning towards repurchasing one of the two Panasonic pancakes, but I'm wondering if it's just GAS.

They are both unique focal lengths that I don't currently have covered, but again, I can do most of what I want to with what I have. Is it just good sense to own these two classic Panny lenses, if one can afford them?

oh and um...

2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Except for the Pany 12-35, the Pany 20mm 1.7 is my favorite lens. As you say, VERY sharp. And very fast too. I also use a Canon 80D and there is essentially no way that I know of to duplicate the speed and fairly wide focal length of the 20mm 1.7 in the Canon environment without spending an arm and a leg and getting a HUGE lens. So I think it is kind of unique. Myself, I have never had much problem with the AF and have not seen any banding with my E-M10. I think you should repurchase it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Get them both!

Perfect compact travel combo... :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In the situation you described, I'd be looking at repurchasing the P20/1.7 or trying the O 17/1.8. Both great lenses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm guessing there's an unspoken thing about it having to be a pancake? Because there's the PL15 f/1.7 and O17 f/1.8 which are both wide normal and focus quickly. The PL15 supports DFD, the O17 doesn't...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I recently bought a 15/1.7, it behaves much like a fast-focusing 20mm. Its a bit wider, but images look similar to the 20. Its larger for sure, but not huge. About the same size as the 17/1.8. On a Panasonic body the aperture ring will work, but the 17 has the manual focus clutch if you like to focus manually. I tried the 17/1.8 for a while, but found that I just didn't like its images as much as other lenses with similar focal lengths, and the small focus ring was difficult to use... The 20mm is still a fantastic lens, and great value compared to the 15/1.7 and 17/1.8. I don't find DFD to improve the 20's focus speed, but it does help with hunting in marginal lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Can someone tell me what DFD is, please?

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'll second the suggestion of the Oly 17 f/1.8, I enjoy mine more than I did the 15mm or 20mm. Since you mention DFD I'm not sure I would recommend the 20mm. I'm not sure about it's compatibility with DFD, but I can tell you it's not compatible with AFF/AFC on the GX85*.

I use to have a 14mm, I did enjoy it when I did. I originally got it for it's size. Now I have the 12-32 which is just about the same size and weight as the 14mm. If you're looking for coverage and size you might want to consider the 12-32. It would also pair very nicely with your GM5.

*Compatibilities of DMC-GX80/GX85 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I do own the 12-32mm, which is more or less my wife's GF7 lens but is available for me to use when I want to. It was the kit lens for my GX85. Does the 12-32mm kind of preclude owning the 14mm? The size is close, and the 14mm only adds ~1 stop of extra light (which the IBIS/dual IS often negates the need for with static content). That makes the 20mm (and the above mentioned 15mm) more diverse options than the 14mm.

I mainly only need AFS and MF, so I'm not worried about the lack of AFC. The thing which threw me off the most with the 20mm was that it gave me false positives on the GM5, not even in poor light. No other m4/3 lens has done that. I was using a v2 lens, but I might try one of the early models (cheaper also), and perhaps my copy was defective somehow. Slow focus also concerned me, but I have come to realize something: I love shooting street, but I live in a rural area and 75% of my shooting is with more static stuff than street photography is. So even though I've expressed frustration with the 20mm's time to focus, well, I just don't always need that speed, when I'm being realistic.

The 17mm f1.8 is mildly interesting, the 15mm f1.7 is even more so, but they're a little spendy for what is really a not entirely essential purchase. And I don't absolutely require pancakes, but I like small - small as my 25mm f1.8 or smaller - because these just make the most of a compact system.

oh and um...

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I just think it's about compact
    p1110709.
    VS

p1110710.

The two pana lenses are super compact an do suit a compact body like a gf or gm nicely.
    The 20f1.7 is that bit faster aperture than the Oly 17f2.8 (which I've always been tempted by too)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Certainly doesn't preclude anything. Just a thought to cover the range in a small package. It's one of the reason I won't sell my 12-32 and talk myself out of getting a 14mm each time I consider it.

I mentioned the AF compatibility in case it also applies to DFD. I use AFF/AFC occasionally, I had a 20mm when I got my GX85. Thought the camera might be defective until I found the link I posted.

The 15/17 are actually a little smaller than 25 so they cover that. You could sell the 17 f/2.8 to help fund the 17 f/1.8. The 17mm f/2.8 seems to sell for $100-$150, the 14mm f/2.5 seems to be more in the $125-$175 range. Put those together and you're in the range of the 17mm f/1.8. The 15mm f/1.7 can add another $100 so that might be out.

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Precisely. Yes, my 25mm is compact, but it doesn't fit in a coat pocket.

I don't think I'll get rid of my 17mm f2.8. It's just not worth enough $$ to part with, given that it's the second copy I've owned cause I liked it enough to rebuy it. Darn silver thing looks ugly on my black GX85 though, heheh.

oh and um...

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I prefer black lenses even on black and silver bodies.

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    True, so do I, but it just didn't work on the silver and green GM5!

oh and um...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Just get the 20mm already!

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Things do seem to point towards a 20mm... ;)

oh and um...

18. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The O17f1.8 is a really nice lens. Better than the reviews suggest. I currently have the P14, P20, P25f1.4 and O17f1.8 and the O17 is definitely at the head of the list for me. The P20 is very sharp and has nice rendering but the O17 has lightning fast AF and the nice clutch manual focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I mean since you specifically asked for advice on whether this is GAS or not, I'll give it to you straight. I'd have to go with yes. I checked WebMD and it matches a lot of the symptoms:

• buying a lens after already owning and selling the same lens
    • buying a prime to cover every 3mm difference in focal length
    • buying a lens because "it's an incredible lens" or "it's a great value" instead of a concrete personal reason
    • making threads looking for justification to buy a lens ;)
    • conflicting rationale ("17 2.8 focuses too slow, so I want DFD, but the 20 focuses slow anyways, but actually I don't care about focus speed")
    Don't get me wrong ;) Everyone is talking about how great the lenses you're looking at are, and they are right. The 14mm is my favorite and most-used lens, followed by the PL 25mm. And I've lusted after the 12mm, 15mm, both 17mm's, the 20mm, and the 12-32mm at different times (but resisted so far). So I wouldn't blame you for giving in.

In short, just because a lens is great doesn't mean you need it :) Anyways, just giving you the other side of the coin.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yep! but don't forget the 14mm... :laugh1: