1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should Mu-43.com do the NDA thing?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As owner of Mu-43.com, I've been offered the chance to know about certain equipment prior to launch and possibly have time to prepare a "hands on" report for that equipment. However, the stipulation is that I have to sign a non-dislosure agreement (NDA), meaning that I can't spill any beans prior to launch.

The good thing about going the NDA route is that I get to see and sometimes try stuff early and prepare posts/articles/reports for posting at the time of release.

The downside to signing an NDA is that I can't participate in the fun of posting speculation, rumors, etc. Members could still discuss those rumors in the forums, but I couldn't comment or post them on the "front page".

So far, as opportunities have come around, I have declined them. I don't like the idea of knowing something I can't share.

What do you think? Is it worth having the rumors/speculation, or would you rather see a "Mu-43 Hands-On" when new gear gets officially announced? We can't have it both ways!

• Like Like x 2
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Hmm, that's always up to you. However, my $.02 USD is that I've always found your post very informative and thoughtful to where I would like to know your hands on thoughts, rather than speculations/rumors. There's plenty of sites for rumors etc. A lot of other hands on previews from other sites usually have a run down of a spec sheet and a guy fiddling with it for 1 min on video- I'd rather have input from someone more interested in the system.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Wait...

Does that mean none of us can post about speculations or just you? If just you, then I'd much rather have your opinions on it as well. But just between you and I, what's the product you can get your hands on? is it the new x lenses? Haha

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think this is a great opportunity, Amin! I would jump on it. It will give more credibility to the site and allow us users to learn the real true grit as soon as it gets here straight from our favorite source. Since this is where we seem to like hanging out, we won't miss a minute of it. :)

As for the rumors, they will still continue... somebody will no doubt point them out in the general discussion threads in your stead. ;) There are enough members on here keeping up with that part.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not sure I understand your position, and I want to clarify that members will be free to post rumors and speculation in the forums regardless of whether I decide to go the NDA route or not.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Not to deprive you of the chance to get a hands-on on the latest (putting myself in your shoes, I'd be sorely tempted), but there's a sort of community feel in joining the speculations, and the interminable waiting (2 weeks of bits and pieces to chew on! The horror!), and the judgement once they're announced. And then there's also the waiting for who gets it first and the actual user report.

The product life spans are short as it is, so insta-reviews as soon as they're out sort of shortens it a bit more. Again, that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Do it. It's a boon for your site. JMHO :smile:

8. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    +1

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Amin,
    I say go for it. Ian over at Four Thirds User is able to balance the responsibility quite well. As soon as the E-M5 was official he started a thread to answer members questions about the camera. It's nice to have someone we trust have real answers as soon as possible.

I understand your hesitation, but it would be a great service to this community.

Fred

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Do it. If I were in your shoes, I would.

In my business, I do NDAs all the time. It's just a normal part of doing business.

11. Just send them to me. I can refrain from speculating on new cameras :biggrin:

12. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    If this were my site, I'd do it as well.

13. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    I would say thats totally up to you, however putting myself in your place i would jump all over that, but im a gear head that would love to do tech reviews. Personally I scour the net for all the reviews i read and having a site like this with someone i "know" and trust it would be great to hear your take on the latest gear. Totally your choice but i say go for it ! :2thumbs:

14. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Leave the rumors to 43rumors! Sign the NDAs and tell us about the actual cameras and not the stories :)

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm going to refrain from clicking the Thanks button on every single reply, but I am thankful for everyone's input!

Nic, I wish I could do that, but I don't think they'll give me an NDA with that option :smile:.

16. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Amin, your presence on the internet has grown with your two perspectives and I think that in your own interest you should take the opportunity that has been offered you, go for it!!

17. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Go for it. It's good for the site

18. I'd vote yes. I think it makes sense given that mu-43 has become a more distinctly gear-related site over time.

19. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Amin, it's a great opportunity IMO for mu-43. Considering all the pre-hype and speculation about the E-M5, what really matters now are the factual and lucid reports/previews of the camera, of which there currently are few.

I think it will also keep mu-43 on a higher ground. No doubt whoever offered you the NDA sees mu-43 as a valid venue to market their product.

20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Also ... It's a great chance to get some straight thinking into the heads of these often weird camera designers. :tongue: