Should I upgrade or is it a downgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 369, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    i have olympus EP-1, my first real camera coming from point and shoot. I now feel that the kit lens the only lens I have is slow at focusing. I am contemplating selling the EP-1 for the EPL-2.

Also, where can i sell it to get a decent price,where do u guys sell your gears?

I also was planning to buy the 20mm 1.7 since i heard so many people talk only good things about this lens, but now with the 25mm 1.4 announced, i am thinking should I pay $200 more and get this one instead. I am not a pro or anything just like taking pictures, family, friends, vacation etc.

Is that lens even meant for an amateur like me, will I get its benefits.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Is the E-PL2 an upgrade from the E-P1? Well...that depends who you ask. Forma feature perspective the E-PL2 does more (has the accessory port for the VF2, better LCD, faster AF, a flash, etc.). Whether or not that constitutes an upgrade is up to you. The E-P1 has a better build, thumb wheel controls in addition to the rear dial, better IBIS and so on. I went from an E-PL1 to the E-P1 and I'm quite happy with the change. Ultimately, what do you want form the E-PL2 that you are not getting from the E-P1?

The Panasonic 20/1.7 is a very VERY good lens. It's in a different class than the kit lens (which is really not bad at all). I bought a Panasonic 14-45 kit lens and replaces the 14-42 with it. The only issue I have with the 20 is that people are gouging on the price for it. I bought mine for a bit under $300 and I see them going now for $500 used. The Panasonic 14/2.5 is also a terrific lens (if you like WA) and a bit cheaper than the 20 at the moment.

Something to consider is that the differences between the E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 and E-PL2 are all pretty minor. Some feature differences and slight IQ differences but they really aren't all that different.

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    So there are different IBIS versions in the Pens? What are they?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I went from the E-P1 to an E-PL2 myself, and yes it is most definitely an upgrade! The only nicer thing about the E-P1 are the dual dials and the level gauge. Everything else about the E-PL2 is SO much better. Even the loss of one control dial is not much of a loss in the case of the E-PL2, because of the better design and customization of the buttons. The E-PL2 has new buttons such as Close-Up (zoom) and Direct-to-Video, with more buttons (like the Direct-to-Video, which replaces the top control dial) being fully customizable. This makes up for the loss of a dial, along with the way the one turn dial is made to operate like Panasonic's two-in-one click dial. The only difference is on the PEN you press up to access the second function, whereas on the Panasonic you push in. The replacement of the dial with a big red dot button is actually an advantage for me, as I use back-button focus. That direct-to-video button makes an excellent dedicated AutoFocus button. Some of the default buttons on the E-PL2 were silly, missing the ISO and White Balance direct buttons, but it is very easy to put them back where they should be by going into the menu and changing their associations.

The E-PL2 also has the option of the Super Control Panel from the Olympus DSLR system. Trust me, it is SO much more efficient and better than the sucky Live Control Menu that came with the E-P1.

I didn't mention body build as an advantage to the E-P1 because overall the E-PL2, although it contains more plastic, is actually quite solid and better designed with a much nicer grip for holding larger lenses. I do like the silver finish of the E-P1 as well as the more metal build, but all in all the E-PL2 is actually a better built body. Hinges in the E-PL2 have been beefed up (like the battery door and flash), making it stronger overall, and the LCD seems to be of better quality (this was the weak spot on the E-P1 which made me lose my camera when the LCD busted in the camera bag).

The level gauge is really the one clear advantage of the E-P1, which is not answered at all by the E-PL2... but that's not really such a big deal unless you're an architectural and interior photographer. ;)

Now the advantages of the E-PL2 are a little more clear-cut. This would include an LCD with twice the resolution (very important on a mirrorless camera), the ability to use the VF-2 electronic viewfinder (a nice 90 degree vari-finder), the ability to use the EMA-1 external mic jack (essential for shooting quality video!), quite a bit more responsive AutoFocus and operation, and significantly better Image Quality. The last part should be expounded upon... The E-PL2 features a super weak AA filter with the same Trupic V+ Image Processor as the E-5, which captures the full detail and resolution out of the lens. It also enables much better dynamic range and high ISO performance, with less chroma and luminance noise and cleaner, more natural colors.

So yes, even though the E-P1 is a fantastic camera with a wonderful retro feel, the advantages of an E-PL2 upgrade are quite definite in almost every practical way. It will be worthwhile and you will enjoy your camera a lot more if you use it a lot. And the more contoured black finish of the E-PL2 actually grows on you. ;) The textured back feels better in your hand than the smooth metal of the E-P1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The loss of the main thumbwheel is the only real downside I would see to making the swap. Well, that and losing the general awesomeness of the E-P1 body shape.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an E-PL2 (work) and and an E-P1 (home) and while I do like the E-PL2 I have to say that I do not find the build quality of the E-PL2 anywhere near as nice as that of the E-P1. It was one of the things that prevented me from getting an E-PL2 for myself. Everyone is different though.

If someone were to ask me what camera to buy I would certainly recommend the E-PL2 as it is a great kit. The OP however wants to know about "upgrading" and to be honest I don't see the E-PL2 as that much of an upgrade to the E-P1. In fact, I find that all the Pens are remarkably close to one another feature and performance wise. Even in IQ they are VERY close Yes the E-PL2 has a weaker AA filter but I have always found that in practice its nearly impossible to tell the images apart unless you are looking REALLY closely.

BTW, I put the black leatherette in my E-P1 so it's pretty fly.

I think it comes down to it asking yourself if the things that E-PL2 has are something you NEED. If they are then go get one, it's a terrific camera and a great value to boot. Just don't expect it to make you a better photographer...only you can do that.

7. 369

369 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks you all for the detailed response. I guess sometimes I find the ep-1 a little heavy, my wife definitely finds it heavy. When I give to my friends to take a pic, they can't focus, and they click immediately and pics comes out blurry, coz of slow af (i know user error).

And mostly coz I am drawn to now buying shiny new gadgets, that is also a reason to buy a new camera. But its not very practical financially.

Also, if I buy the panny 20mm or the leica 25mm 1.4 these lenses will work with the olympus pens right?

8. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Chances are looking pretty good that Olympus will be announcing some new cameras and lenses in two weeks. That will likely drive down the prices of their current offerings. Of course then you may want to upgrade to one of these newer cameras.

Yes, any m4/3 lens will work will all functions (except Panasonic software lens corrections) on the Pens.

PS - I'm still wondering about the IBIS earlier comment that the E-P1 is better than the E-PL's. Are there different versions of the IBIS?

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep...all the Panasonic lenses work with the Olympus bodies and vice-versa. Since Panasonic puts it's stabilization on the lens (like the 14-45 and 45-200) you need to make sure you turn it off on the lenses that have it when using it on the E-P1 or E-PL2. The E-P1 has...unusual AF when shot in full auto. If you want to improve that shoot in A mode, set the focus point to center and set metering to center weighted. That can significantly improve the overall responsiveness. That said the E-PL1/PL2 are going be better at AF in full auto and the Panasonic cameras are a bit better than that. If you find the E-P1 heavy (and it is pretty weighty) the the E-PL2 is likely going to suit you better. It is VERY light. I find it a bit too light but that is just a personal preference.

I don't know if you've considered something more like an advanced P&S but my LX3 was very light, had reasonably quick focus and produced wonderful images. Perhaps something like an LX3 or an LX5 might suit you better. There are some days that I really regret selling that LX3. Cameras lik that also have the advantage of being able to shoot macro quite easily (that's what I miss most about the LX3). It might satisfy your jones for a new shiny toy and be a bit less expensive than a new m43 body.

As to where you can sell a used body...the for sale section here is good and free to members as is GetDPI (also free).

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It us my understanding that the IBIS in the E-P1 and E-P2 is slightly more advanced than that of the E-PL1/PL2. I remember reading that somewhere now I cannot seem to find that article...so maybe I'm wrong about that.

11. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Interesting.

12. I think the E-P1/2 claims to have IBIS worth about four stops, and the E-PL1/2 about three stops. However, my personal feeling is that four stops is a fairly optmistic claim on the E-P1.