1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I trade my ZD 7-14 f4 oor the new 7-14 f2.8 Pro ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ashburtononline, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I use my ZD in real estate photography and its a great lens. However, AF hunts a bit and its a bit slow and noisy. I have the opportunity to trade it in with $450US for the new 7-14 f2.8.

Please talk me out of this :)

2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    No, I won't do that. You should absolutely trade in your old stinky lens for the hot new, superfast f2.8.

Really though, the extra stop will probably help you in interiors with difficult lighting (shooting in basements much?). The autofocus will be fast and silent, impressing your colleagues and clients!

how have you not already upgraded??

are you still here? Go to the camera shop now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You do shoot from a tripod, right? If so, I don't really see the advantage because the extra speed will be wasted since you're likely at f/5.6 or f/8 on a tripod. Also, the subject is stationary so AF speed shouldn't be an issue as you can just use MF to nail the focus.

If you were shooting handheld in lowlight conditions, I would say it would be worth the upgrade, but for small aperture, tripod-based shots, I don't see the value.

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Plus, another inherent advantage is the size of the ZD 7-14 f/4. It's so large that when you show up to a shoot you can say "See, look how big my lens is! It proves that I'm a professional, now let me do my work!".

(kidding, of course)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't think I would, if anything I might trade it for a Panasonic 7-14 f/4. I also see no real advantage of an f/2.8 for real estate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I had thought of that but the only drawback might be the purple blob issue since he's shooting with an E-M1. If it weren't for that, I would suggest going to the Panasonic 7-14 just because of the size/weight advantage, and you really wouldn't give up any IQ (the Olympus f/2.8 and Panasonic f/4 are basically equivalent at every aperture. The only advantage of the Oly f/2.8 version is its faster aperture, weather sealing, and manual focus clutch).

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    do you shoot at f4 with the old, or stop it down? 2.8 is a little shallow for getting an entire room in focus. Given that a little flash is desirable so you can keep windows properly exposed while exposing the interior, the 2.8 may not be as much advantage as it sounds. The pany version suffers from more aberration so that may not be a good choice for interiors where those darn windows cause challenges again.

In the end, I'd upgrade to get the modern lens, the focus clutch and the best corrections, but whether that's worth $450 is up to you. 2.8 would be a bonus. Question is, what else would you do with the $450 and which would have the most value to you?

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I sold my ZD 7-14mm F4(You can get much more selling yourself w/a little patience) mainly due to size and not needing the 7mm end. I was going to get the Panny 7-14, but in the end found a good deal on the 9-18 and much prefer it for many reasons. I think it's perfectly good for Real Estate too, but YMMV. F2.8 is no real advantage for tripod shooting and you can shoot low shutter speeds at F4 with wide angles too. I don't recall the focusing being much of an issue. While the ZD 4/3rds are a tad noisier and stutter in AF compared to the M43 lenses, they are a tremendous bargain and Great IQ. I certainly wouldn't settle for $450 on a trade in, but everyone's priorities are different.

10. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I love the 7-14 2.8 it is a wonderful lens beautiful image quality and much smaller than the 4/3 f4 version, if you can afford the upgrade then do it.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Outside of the size/weight difference, I'm curious as to why people are recommending he spend the ~$500 to upgrade for a lens whose biggest feature, its aperture, will go largely unused because the work that the OP does is largely tripod based at small apertures?

If the OP needed the size/weight reduction, then I could maybe see the change (though if that's the case, I would look at a Panasonic 7-14 and do the rear filter mod), but it doesn't sound like that's an issue with the OP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I don't NEED to upgrade. The ZD 7-14 is GREAT ! I usually shoot stopped down to f5.6 / f8 so its not a speed thing. I will likely never use f2.8. The Panasonic does not interest me at all so don't go there please. Its really whether I will see a difference at f5.6 that is worth $450.

Thanks for your replies one and all !

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you question is whether you'll see a difference at f/5.6, then the answer is no, and as long as the size/weight aren't killing you, you're likely better to hold on to your money and put it towards something else that you may need/want.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You aren't going to see any improvement at f5.6. The ZD 7-14 is already a pro-caliber lens and is outstanding, so the only reasons would be f2.8 and weight.

The AF would be better, but it's not like your houses are moving. They can probably wait 3 seconds for AF to catch up! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Too late .... I pulled the pin today and the new f2.8 in on its way to me. Now, who wants a great ZD 7-14 f4 ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    finally!

I was worried these philistines had gotten to you. You made the correct choice. ;)

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm curious why you made the switch. Was it just simply because of size and weight? If so, that's totally understandable as the 4/3's 7-14 was a big, heavy lens.

18. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I think most people who start these threads are just looking for justifications to make a purchase. They already decided and now they want someone to reassure them of their GAS. Lately it seems half the threads here are doing exactly that. The actual photo contributions are down. At least the FF talk has died down a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    If a professional photographer feels the need to upgrade a tool they use every day to make money, I see very little downside to upgrading. If you were getting paid for a service, wouldn't you want to use the best available, most-appropriate device for the job? I think it'd be foolish for the OP to continue with a lens he wasn't totally satisfied with.

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Absolutely he should, but he asked a question and got similar answers. IQ is not an upgrade, esp since he said he doesn't need F2.8 and is stopping down. A little noise and a fraction of a second focusing time isn't going to improve real estate photography was the point we were making, as a trade off for more $ for essentially the same lens (albeit smaller and lighter, which weren't brought up by OP as needs).

Everyone's situation is different, Me, personally don't see any advantage in spending more in this case. I understand his lust however. I have bought lenses I don't "need" too. But I didn't post online for a consensus opinion either. ;) We were just trying to help him with his GAS situation and I was also just referencing a general point about these posts (mostly from non-pros). Pretty sure he had his mind made up already anyway.