1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I take the gf3 back for g3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Teefin1, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Hi, I have just bought a for £200 but am considering taking it back for a g3, which is £320. I've ordered the oly 45 to go with my camera. Is the swap worth the price difference (not massive I know) but I have read there is quite a difference in iq between the two.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Welcome :)

I think I would do the swap (I have a GF3 myself, though I'm planning to sell it soon).

Shooting outside in the sun will be much easier with a viewfinder which is something you don't have and can't add to the GF3. And then there's the sensor difference to consider.

In favour of the GF3 it's so tiny that you can easily pocket it with a pancake lens on the front.

3. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Thank you

Thank you, think I'm leaning that way. Do you think I'll see a good imProvemEnt with the oly 45, as with the kit lens I have lots of blurry shots.

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    You should do, in part because it's a faster (brighter) lens and will let in more light so you can use a higher shutter speed. Using a camera with a viewfinder might also help stabilise things and reduce blur caused by camera shake. Personally, having used it for a year or so, I wouldn't be without the Olympus in body image stabilisation stabilisation (IBIS) and prefer an old E-PL1 to the GF3 - apart from the slower focusing. I've not used a G3 though so I can't usefully comment on the controls and ergonomics but the viewfinder and better low light performance would make me choose it over the GF3.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you should definitely make the swap. Yes there's a difference in IQ, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The functionality of the G3 is much better.

6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    The G3 & GF3 are two very different cameras, the G3 is more of a serious camera and does have a better sensor and a lot more features as everyone has stated. I find the GF3 more of a fun camera and with a pancake lens on, it's easy to put into a jacket pocket for nights out or for street or candid shots.
    The Oly 45mm lens is a cracker and works very well with any M4/3 camera.

7. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Great posts!

Thanks everyone, your posts have been really helpful, with most suggesting the upgrade. Once I receive the oly lens I will see how I feel about the gf3. Taking pics of small children is challenging for a novice and I need all the advantages I can afford!

8. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    What Ned said. I have a G3 and it has really good image quality, a great EVF and the rotating screen is very useful. It also has a hot shoe and a camera without access to a more powerful flash doesn't leave much room to grow. The GF3 is a nice camera but for that small price difference I would switch.

9. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    G3 is the choice.

10. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Great to see you are back, Ned.

11. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    I'm in a similar position, I brought my GF3 mainly on price point, but after spending some time with it, and reading these forums (A lot). I really want a EVF and some more serious control of the camera.

I find the GF3 very easy to use but have taken what I consider to be a sharp learning curve and really want to push my amature photography to the next level, a £700 body isnt an option hopefully I can convince the wife that I "Need" an upgrade..

Any help on persuasion techniques greatfully recieved :-D

/Edit Any other body I should consider at the G3 price point?

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you want a built in EVF at the G3 price point, then I don't think there's any other body worth considering. As for persuasion techniques, that's a tough one. I used to get some good mileage out of telling my wife that the new camera would help me make better photos of the kids and that we only get one chance to document them at this age. After a few cameras came and went without her seeing an improvement in those photos, I had to retire that excuse :smile:.

13. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, I used the New baby excuse for this purchase, not sure that will fly this time.

I'm happy to go the hot shoe route, and squeeze a EVF in later so just body with hot shoe @ G3 price point..:th_salute:

14. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Teefin1 sorry I think I just hijacked you're thread!

15. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Hi, Jessops are doing it for £369 with £50 cash back from Panny, but I dont really need another 14-42mm kit lens I was hoping Jessops may part ex my Body, or Ebay it. The body alone at Jessops is more expensive as the cash back option isnt relivant.. Thanks for the Argus heads up though :thumbup:

16. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    No worries!

That's ok Jaffa, same questions as me and all replies gratefully received. I'm going the jessops route as that is where I bought the GF3 a couple of weeks ago.

17. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

IMO

I hear people saying the benefits, but i am going to stick with the reason of why i went with the micro 4/3, if your reason isnt bearing on size (physical size) which is why i fight for the GF-Series, then go to the G, but i only have been able to take the shots i have been able to take BC i can carry it easily with me. Plain and simple.

My vote for GF3.

• Like Like x 1