Should I stick with GX1 or....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by eggshen, Mar 26, 2013.

1. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Hey everyone!

I have the GX1 and enjoy it but my eye has been wondering to other cameras right now. I have not been too active on this board but have followed it quite religiously since I bought my GX1 last spring. I respect your opinions so I have to ask the question is it time to move on???

I am of course looking at the

OMD (love the idea of IBIS buy I'm not liking the ergos of it)

GH3 (too big and heavy for my taste even though I like Panny UI)

NEX 7 (best action for me and of course 24MP sensor but hate the idea of going to the dark-side that's what I call Sony and DSLRs)

Fuji X Pro1 or E1 ( love the idea of Fuji since I only take stills and only shoot in manual. Seems like Fuji is calling my name with it's unique controls and great photo IQ.)

So I know this is all subjective and totally based on opinion but I am at the point where I feel that I either jump to a different system and experience what it has to offer or I dive head deep into M4/3. I just need some opinions and stories of similar situations to help me decide. I know that there is no definitive answer which is best but hey what else are forum boards other then to discuss the same things over and over till we are blue in the face.

Thank you all for your time and opinions ahead of time.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    As far as the :43: upgrade options, your comments indicate to me that neither would represent a significant upgrade from your GX1. If that were all you were considering I would counsel you to stick with the GX1 and invest in high quality lenses until a new body is introduced that really appeals for you (maybe wait and see if the G7 of GX2 rumored to be introduced in the next month or two fits that bill).

Once I rule out an immediate :43: upgrade path, that leaves the other two systems. I don't have any personal experience with either, but from what I've heard and read both systems have their pros and cons. The biggest advantage that :43: has over either is the lens selection.
  3. bengtb

bengtb Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    The new fuji X100s seems to get rave reviews. Have you checked it out? It hasn't got exchangable lenses and that might be a problem for you or you could see tthe X100s as a complement to the GX1 rather than replacement.
  4. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah the lens selection is very attractive and makes the :43: system the most versatile of them all but 90% of the time I shoot with my 20mm prime anyways and the so the lens selection is not a make or break for me. I am happy with owning 2 maybe 4 lenses at the most with any system I decide to go with.
  5. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    The original X100 is what attracted me to Fuji in the first place. In the end I may end up with exactly this. Using a X100s for majority of my shooting and breaking out my GX1 for versatility. But this is plan B if I do not decide to switch systems.
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It looks like you have answered your own questions and made a decision already.

I have the GX1 and use it mainly with the 25mm lens but on a trip to India last year mainly used the 45-175, I cannot fault the quality of images from it and they more than meet my expectations, some samples below:

571 Photography: GX1 does Taj Mahal and Delhi

I also own the Fuji X100 and it is an amazing camera that offers a great tactile machine with a small footprint offering new world use in old world style, the IQ is incredible and again there are some images from it here:

571 Photography: Fuji X100 - A product of beauty and substance

571 Photography: The Derbyshire Dales as they should be seen.
  7. lapiz

lapiz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010
    I would be thinking more about complimentary systems rather than switching systems.

The GX1 is a great camera to use but now very cheap and not worth selling IMO.

In m4/3 I shoot mainly with the GH2 but I also have the 7-14 lens permanently on the GX1 so that I have that lens always ready to go. Works for me.

I did not want to move to the GH3 because a) I'm not done with the GH2 yet and b) I know (for me) it would have meant also getting the two 2.8 zooms and that is just too much money for not much more IQ.

Instead I went with the Sigma DP2 Merrill and then the XE-1. The Sigma was a revelation in what Foveon sensors are capable of. Unbelievable resolution when there is a lot of detail in the frame. But it certainly has its limitations as a camera and is not much use to me in the winter.

Hence the XE-1. Great in the winter. Very clean at high ISO's and a joy to use.

Both the Sigma and the Fuji give me quite different images to m4/3's. In many ways they are better but strangely enough it just makes me appreciate m4/3 even more. The lenses are truly fantastic and the 16 MP sensors are very capable for the size of the system.

So, a fully clothed mother earth and nice light - hand me the Sigma please. Poor light and vibrant colours - Fuji please. UW or long or macro - m4/3.

Not about systems anymore - just sensors and lenses!

I know I will get a GH3 when the price is right but my next camera will be a DP3M but since I can't use it until the spring/summer it can wait till then.
  8. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks Lapiz. That is the info and type of opinion I was looking for.
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm (genuinely) curious as to what it is about these cameras that you feel makes them particularly ill- or well-suited for a particular season. I'm equating "winter" with "snow" but I'm not sure that applies in your location. Does the Sigma just not do well with high-contrast? Or is it something else?
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think a lot of whether to stay with m43 or not will depend on what lenses you are currently invested in with the system. I see you mention that you shoot primarily with your 20mm f1.7. In that case, indeed the X100S offers a similar view if you were looking to completely switch over. I, for example, sold my 20mm when I decided to get an X100S, but kept the 14-42mm and 40-150mm zoom lenses for my E-PL1. I didn't have any other lenses for my m43 camera apart from a cheap c-mount 35mm f1.7 and some legacy lenses that I had prior to getting into m43. If you have some of the other nice m43 primes or there are m43 lenses you want it may make more sense to upgrade bodies or pick up an additional lens as opposed to switching systems. It really comes down to what you don't like about m43 or what you see the advantages of other cameras/systems to be and how important those things are to you.
  11. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Wait a month before making any decision. Panasonic is supposed to announce new models on april 9th and Olympus is supposed to make an announcement in late paril, early may. You will have a clearer picture by then.
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The statement above makes me wonder how much and in what ways you are using your camera. You have had your GX1 for a year now, and have had time to take a lot of shots. Why do you feel you aren't deep into m43?

It would be easier to give advice if I had some idea of the ways you use it and what type of photographs do you take. Also, what lenses do you have, and how is the GX1 not meeting your photographic needs. Is there something in the image quality or the way the camera handles that makes you think a new one might be better?

The GX1 is a very good camera, but there are plenty that can do more. If it is not meeting your needs, then upgrade for sure. Otherwise, maybe figure out why you don't feel like you are deep into m43 after a year of shooting with it.

If you (like the rest of us) just love cameras and gear, and you can afford it, then buy all of em! :tongue:, But from a pure gear lust perspective, I have no idea what to suggest. All of those cameras you listed are quite seductive.
  13. lapiz

lapiz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010
    The Sigma adores detail especially in nature. There is microcontrast that is quite sublime - down to pixel level. But it's also a brick - no bells & whistles and very "un-modern" but ' a camera'.

I like it for that & what it does ...

For all year round I really like the the Pana lenses ....

Horses for courses ....
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Are you using the Lumix 20mmF1.7?
    If so ... you're kinda stuck with m4/3rds ... in a good way.

Buy a really cheap Olympus body and experience some Jpegs with different colour signature to your GX1.
  15. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Thank you all for your opinions. I think I am going to go with plan B which is keep my GX1 and buy a X100s. I am completely sold on Fujis manual handling and feel it will suit my shooting style best.