Should I stay with MFT system?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Sep 11, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I see many are jumping ship to Fuji X system. As I'm at a point where I need to upgrade my GF1 anyway (to either GX7 of EM-1 or 5), that naturally gives me a chance to consider whether I also should join the exodus, either to Fuji or Sony.

I shoot mostly children's candid photos: my kids (under 10) are small, so I get by even with GF1's slow AF when they are indoor. When they play sports, I bring my Nikon to nail AF. About 10% of my photos are landscape that I happen to take when my family travels on vacation.

I was thinking of updating to GX7, which I thought checked all the boxes. But when EM-1 came out, that has become a serious contender, since it can replace my Nikon as well for kids' sports photography.

For the kind of photography that I pursue, should I stay with MFT? Is there huge benefit to be had with either Fuji or Sony that I can't get with GX7 or EM-1?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Sigh. Look at the total number of members/threads on this forum. Look at the total number of folks jumping to Fuji. And, then look at the total number of posts the Fuji jumpers have posted here. Is the X system appealing? Absolutely! And, the x100S is a beacon for those who started in film. Are many jumping ship? No, some are, but there will always be those that do so when there is choice.

FWIW - I would think that an E-M1 or E-M5 would be ideal for you. YMMV.

- David
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To be very honest .. I won't suggest to try Fuji with young kids around .. U will end up missing many shots as Fuji cameras are very slow . Just dont get carried away by posts and threads as often people mix up need with greed . Get EP5 or GX7 as they offer faster shutter speed and lightening fast AF . Fuji and toddlers or in fact anything that moves faster don't mix well.There is no huge difference in IQ and its all very subjective . I like the files coming out of X100 but I don't hate Olympus either .
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If you've read any of the threads on this topic you've surely bumped in to the idea that all of these systems are very good and really come down to your preferences. You can't really make a mistake, except maybe by listening to the loudest voices on an internet forum rather than going with what you like and what makes sense for you.

I do agree with your thoughts about the E-M1, but I will say "IF" it can replace your Nikon for sports shooting. I don't think we quite have the answer to that yet, but it may be a game-changer for some of us.
  5. Bhupinder2002

That's a medium format smiley as compared to this MFT one :smile::wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Only you will be able to answer for yourself whether the advantage Fuji offers is significant enough. The easiest way is to try it out. Most large retailers offer 30-day refunds. A lot of times I don't recommend doing this but doing so will really help you find out whether you'll catch the Fuji bug or not.

Another way of approaching it is asking yourself what your shooting style is, what subjects do you shoot, do you print at all and how large? Is there something equipment-wise that one brand offers that the other does not.

One shouldn't rely heavily on other people's opinions of a system if both are excellent to begin with. There will be no wrong or right answer in this case. Do some research online. And don't be afraid to take the plunge. Experiencing more than one system can only make you a well-rounded photographer. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

This is an other approach ... Kill the fear factor and catch he bull by horns :2thumbs::2thumbs:
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Is there any reason for you considering Fuji besides "Everyone else is doing it"?

If that's the case I see a lot of "I dumped DSLR and got into m4/3" posts as well. Does that counter the Fuji posts and make the whole thing even? lol.
  9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes! There must be balance in the universe or... Ragnarok!
  10. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Yes, there is. The sample gallery on DPReview. They are stunningly beautiful. And the SOOC JPEG has very pleasing color.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Show us some of your photos.
  12. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Ok. you got me. GF1 is not too shabby. It produces very beautiful pictures too. :smile:
    But as you an see below, the DR of GF1 leaves something to be desired.

Attached Files:

• GF1.
      File size:
      102.9 KB
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Come on man, this is ridiculous. No one is mocking and ridiculing you that I have seen. Maybe a few over the top posts, but nothing much more than that. Seems like you are almost asking for a fight at this point. Most people here seem to think that Fuji X is a perfectly valid choice, as is m4/3s or NEX or whatever. Just depends on what you like and what you need.

Most people aren't saying that one system "smokes" another, are they?

Your stuff that you've shared clearly indicates you can get the job done with Panny or Oly or Fuji, or most any other brand I would wager. No need to be defensive or insecure or whatever you are being about your gear selections. We all get the desire to try different stuff, and how easy it is to get hooked on whatever brand.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    If you look back, awhile ego, the only question that members would ask you is: would it make you a better photographer? I guess it doesn't apply to Fuji. :rolleyes:

Truth is, most of the products today will give you what you want. Obviously, a larger sensor has it's advantages, along with more bulk (lens)

You should hold each contender and decide what feels most natural. Good luck with your new camera.

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Not "will it make you a better photographer", surely, but "will it do the things you haven't been able to do but want to" or some such.
  16. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    System Loyalty isn't what's appealing to me. After all I got rid of a load of Canon lenses.

I simply want the best system for my needs.

I'm staying with DSLR for sports.. with 1DIII. Also keeping 5DII and a few primes for portrait.

I have increased u43 inventory. I like the portability, AF speed, Shutter fps..and the best lens selection among mirrorless system.

Fuji looks nice.. but expensive and limited lens selection.. doesn't satisfy my needs.
  17. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    +1, how would anyone ever expect someone on a forum to be able to answer such a question. It just beggars belief, and they pop up with monotonous regularity, I wish I could filter this dross from my RSS feed.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Bhupinder2002

Hahaahahaah Jeff ...exactly ... The best things is to look at ur budget , need vs greed and handle the cameras physically rather than make a decision based on virtual world .
  19. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    do you have much invested in mu43 gear? If not, I guess any format is an option. Just depends what you want. +1 to tdekany and agentlossing's comments.

In regards to dynamic range... I believe the newer m4/3rds sensors will offer better dynamic range than the older sensors. They have similar DR to canon aspc sensors, though not as good as sony aspc sensors. Though I feel shooting RAW will give you better control over DR. If your not shooting RAW, I'd suggest trying it. BTW, i think the DR on the photo you've posted seems fine. There's detail in the cloudy sky and detail in the darker rocks.

just satisfy your GAS, go with whatever makes you happy...