1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I send this back?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gswpete, Jan 10, 2014.

1. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    I sent my E-M5 to Olympus to replace the shutter. Good thing is the shutter was indeed replaced, but whoever serviced it gave it a noticeable chip in the paint on the Olympus logo. Functionally, it does not affect taking pictures at all, but still. Sending it back would mean being without the camera for at least a couple of weeks. Just wondering what all of you would do in this situation?

omd_chip.

2. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    That sucks. Looks like a minor chip and I probably wouldn't bother, but still. Luckily, I never had to deal with Olympus service... but I am wondering if they won't claim that they received it this way. Do you have pictures before you sent it in to prove it to them?

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    It really depends on how much you care about the blemish. The first scratch in a gadget is always a bummer, but it will happen eventually and to be honest, it usually results in you using the gadget in a more productive way. If you look at it that way, you will forget about the scratch in not time and enjoy your camera even more.

4. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    I have minor scratches due to normal use on the body, but nothing as bad as this. I do have pics of my camera, but not prior to shipping it to Olympus.
    Yeah....most likely won't bother to ship it back. Just kinda sucks.

5. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I agree - it REALLY sucks, but I would not bother sending it back. :(

6. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    I agree completely... you should see my e-P1! While it's never been abused, it has quite a few scratches. To me, the camera is a tool, and since I stopped being concerned about the appearance of my camera, I found myself much more free to focus on creating images.

7. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Never hurts to send them an email detailing your concerns regarding the chip.

At the very least, you might get some free swag out of it.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Pete!

If if bugs ya, contact 'em and see what they say. Perhaps they will agree to log the damage and repair it next time at no charge when you send the camera in for work. Or perhaps they'll claim it was done in shipping and you must contact the carrier..or..and or..and or.

As for me...I think I'd ignore it after half an hour of complaining to myself. I don't abuse my kit but if something picks up a legitimate shunt in pursuit of The Perfect Picture I don't over-worry about it. Scratches 'n "brassing" just show (to me, anyway) that the kit was actually taken out of the box and used.

You can add it to your repertoire of cocktail party stories...

"That? Oh, I scratched that lens barrel while hanging from a vine in the Amazon trying to capture just the right angle of light on the carnivores below.."
    "That? Oh, the strap got bloodstains on it whilst I was getting the "decisive moment" photograph during the 2014 Great Train Robbery.."
    "That? Oh, Olympus technicians scratched the bloody camera body because they weren't properly trained on the OM-D E-M5 camera. It's quite rare, actually, and adds value and a certain panache to the camera, don't you think?"

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  9. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    That just isn't worth the effort. You spent more time just writing this post than it was worth IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    OMG really?

• Like Like x 1
  11. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    No. Wear adds character.

12. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks guys. The time without my camera is not worth it. Better off taking it out and shoot. :2thumbs: