Should I sell my G1 in advance of a potentially new model announcement in September?

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
I just bought a G1, great camera except at higher iso's. Now I'm thinking I should have waited one more month for a potential new model.
Should I sell it now while I can still get close to what I paid, assuming a new release will devalue it even more.
Thoughts?

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
You could do that, but it all depends on when you need a camera. Just because a camera is unveiled next month doesn't mean it will be available the next day. You might be waiting well into October/November before you start seeing product on the shelf, and it will be at full MSRP likely. The G1 can be had for a pretty good steal at this point.

I considered both selling my GF1 as well as buying a G2 two lens kit (or G1 with the kit + 45-200), but I needed/wanted to have a camera for a recent trip to the US, and figure the time learning and playing with a camera will be greater than not having one around. I will consider getting a second body again after Photokina and new products are announced as it will likely also get me some additional lenses.

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
November? No I can't wait that long :( well I guess I could keep the G1 for now and wait and see. I still need the 20mm pancake anyway. I only paid 480.00 for the G1 (red) from Amazon. Also, that camera came with the 14 - 45 kit lens. The GH1 I believe comes with a 14-145 or thereabouts. I'm not sure how good that lens is compared to the 14-45

everythingsablur

Mu-43 Veteran
November was a pessimistic guess on my part, but things rarely go on sale in stock in stores right after they are announced. The big point in announcing them in September is to get interest and hype going for the holiday sales rush, so the target for having product in stores would likely be October/early November. At least from my high tech consumer electronics company employee background, that's what we try and hit.

The 14-140 that comes with the GH1 (and is available separately), is supposed to be a very good lens as well, but has some obvious trade offs with the 14-45. You get much longer reach and whisper silent operation during movies thanks to the stepless aperture, but you get a darker/slower lens, plus all the size and weight. The 14-140 is actually the lens I'm waiting on in the mail, and together with the 20/1.7 will be my primary travel kit for now, plus perhaps the 7-14 or 9-18. Considered getting the 14-45 and 45-200 as well, but now I'm just whoring more and more glass. :tongue:

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
Yes I hear you. I actually prefer to be at the wife end of things and rarely go over 50mm on full frame, so that would be 25 on the mu43. My next lens will be the pancake. I prefer fast peimes over zooms. Would love to see a 12mm 1.2

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now I'm thinking I should have waited one more month for a potential new model.
Should I sell it now while I can still get close to what I paid, assuming a new release will devalue it even more.

Are you happy with your camera and is it good enough for your photography? If that is the case, your camera will most probably be good enough when newer models are out. If you sell your camera again, you won't have a camera for at least two months. Nobody knows how much better the new cameras will be and nobody knows what exactly will be better, because nobody knows the specifications. Once the new cameras are out, one still has to see, how big the differences are in real life.

And the new cameras will be much more expensive than the G1 is now. A new camera is most expensive when it has just come out. If you want to pay a reasonable price, you will have to wait even longer than until November. Even if the new cameras were so good, that you liked to switch, it might still be better and even cheaper to wait and switch next year instead of selling your new camera now and buying the new camere when it is most expensive.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The G1 won't devalue much more over what it's worth right now for a while. It's new rock-bottom as it stands. The new camera that comes out will cost close to $2,000, so selling your G1 won't buy you much. As others said, if you're happy with the G1, don't worry about it too much. You can easily skip a few generations and get something else in a few years.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Jonko, I would keep the G1 and use it every day for the next 90 days (have you seen our PAD project?)... and then have a look at our Expressive Travel Photography forum for more ideas... focus on photography and if you need to spend more money, look at the 20mm f1.7 and mZD 9-18 to expand your capabilities.

Keep an eye on 43rumors - they seem to have some good sources for latest release news.

Cheers

Brian

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You can easily skip a few generations and get something else in a few years.

Good point. Unless a camera of the next generation has some features one really needs, it will be better to skip (at least) one generation, if one wants to upgrade a camera. Most times the differences between the current model and the direct successor is not big enough to upgrade. Just look at the differences between the G2 and the G1.

classicus

Mu-43 Rookie
Upgrading or Not? not so soon

I own a GH1 since june 2009, and have built up a nice collection :smile:eek:f film or legacy lenses... Some, very fast... A collection I intend to use with my next camera, a long term investment. I may have fun with a few more still...

I am looking a lot around... What would make me change?
The GH1 body and handling is exactly what I want with great live view + ease of use of legacy lenses.

But I think with such lenses a larger sensor would be The Thing.
The major factors are Mirorless + live view
So looking arround:
:43: olympus lacks the viewfinder, G2 for me is no improvment over GH1
APS-C :Samsung NX10 lacks the articulated screen, Sony Nex no viewfinder

What will make me change :
desirable on equal terms:
improved live view
In body stabilization
Larger sensor,
dreaming:hail: of a mirorless full frame in a small body!...
higher ISO

eventually, better built (some weather sealing)

So I bet at least 2 generations ahead may satisfy me... September 2011?:confused:
Competition will certainly fuel the process when Nikon, Canon, Pentax will release their imagination...

So I suppose I'll wait & see :frown:with my GH1 till at least end of 2011, no drama...:laugh1: If I may even abandon :43: I think that I would keep as a second body my actual GH1

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have had a secondhand G1 but am selling it as I have just bought a new GH1 which does video. The G1 is already replaced by the G2 (now with video). The GH1 and GF1 are due for upgrades and prices are low - hence my purchase. I am happy with last generation gear as next generation has a cost penalty.

iliakoltsov

Mu-43 Regular
Jonko i am waiting as well for an upgrade from the K-M , the best thing i can find right now is the future announcement of the Fuji MS-10. m4/3 EXR sensor :D, EVF built in , stab built in , hybrid autofocus ( contrast and phase AF) means a truly quick AF. Fuji is not going to issue lenses, but the fact that it is m4/3 gives you plenty of possibilities.
It looks truly exceptional for m4/3 camera , then again announcement on the photokina this year means at least a delay of 6 month before you see it in a shop. The best policy wait and see :) at least for now

dko22

Mu-43 Regular
wait and see would certainly be my take. The G1 sensor is perfectly adequate for most situations and the cam itself cost so little that I will not feel guilty if I change to something better in a year or so. I already have most lenses I'll need. Both Fuji and Panny rumours for future sensors are quite interesting

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
I have had a secondhand G1 but am selling it as I have just bought a new GH1 which does video. The G1 is already replaced by the G2 (now with video). The GH1 and GF1 are due for upgrades and prices are low - hence my purchase. I am happy with last generation gear as next generation has a cost penalty.

With the exception of the video, how do you like the GH1 as compared to the G1, I am talking in image IQ only

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
The G1 won't devalue much more over what it's worth right now for a while. It's new rock-bottom as it stands. The new camera that comes out will cost close to $2,000, so selling your G1 won't buy you much. As others said, if you're happy with the G1, don't worry about it too much. You can easily skip a few generations and get something else in a few years.

Do you really think close to $2000.00 for a potentially new model? Wow

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I would agree with many of the above comments. The G1 is a good camera, I would be all for using it and becoming fully conversant with it, but then I come from an era when things were meant to last and one didn't change when the next new thing came along. Stick with a good piece of equipment, the improvements in a new piece of kit from the same line are likely to be marginal at best.

Barrie

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Do you really think close to $2000.00 for a potentially new model? Wow

For the GH2 plus the new fancy kit lens that's rumored to come out I'd be surprised if the whole package costs less than $1600. That's roughly the same price as the original GH1 when it came out with its kit lens. Of course one can hope the competition in the market for this segment will drive prices lower, but this is Panasonic's luxury flagship model, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it prices high initially.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree - a good camera will always be a good camera. They don't go sour :thumbup:

I would agree with many of the above comments. The G1 is a good camera, I would be all for using it and becoming fully conversant with it, but then I come from an era when things were meant to last and one didn't change when the next new thing came along. Stick with a good piece of equipment, the improvements in a new piece of kit from the same line are likely to be marginal at best.

Barrie

Latest threads

Top Bottom