1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I sell my EM1 battery grip? (HLD7)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hazwing, Sep 19, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I received a free olympus battery grip when I bought my EM1. I haven't used it at all but have kept it since it was bonus.

My largest lens is the 12-40 which I feel is fine on my EM1 without battery grip. At this point I don't shoot a lot of long telephoto, I don't see this changing but you never know.

Any reasons for me not to sell the battery grip? Not sure what the going rate is for a battery grip these days, maybe it's not worth the effort of selling?

2. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I'm in the market for one, if you do decide to sell. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't use it all that much anymore however I've held onto it as it's very useful when doing time lapse as it lets you change battery without turning the camera off.

I tend to use a RRS plate on the bottom most of the time rather than the full grip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I, personally, have never bothered with those types of grips. I did have and use the grip for the E-M10, but that's not a battery/function/portrait type grip. I had an E-M1 for a time that came with a grip and sold the grip, never missed it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Pity I'm not in the USA, the shipping fees probably not going to make it worthwhile for you/me

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I sold mine....!

It makes the camera feel like a house brick IMVHO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I've never shot without it. Even when using the O12 and O17 I've left it on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Why is that? Do you like the bigger size?

9. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    It feels well-balanced. I don't do it deliberately or consciously...just happens to be that way.

I'll admit that my E-M1 mostly wears the PRO lenses but if I've taken my primes away from the E-P5 for a period (which could be hours or weeks) I won't take the grip off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Mine is on or off, depending on what I do. When I'm booked for a portrait-session or a wedding, it's definitely on for more battery power, the camera is also easier to hold for shooting portraits. Shorter assignments and running around for the newspaper - I take it off, less size and weight in my bag. For street work or trips with my family, I take the GX7.......

• Like Like x 1
  11. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    hazwing: i'd be very tempted to buy it purely as a spare (for the right price).
    Mine never comes off the EM1 though I do tend to favour the longer and heavier lenses on a daily basis.

The ability change batteries on the fly without turning the camera of is invaluable imo.

Cheers
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Never taken my off, but usually 12-40 us glued on it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I picked one up for fairly low dollars at one point and while I don't use it all the time it certainly help balance longer, heavier lenses and I I think it makes the kit seem more complete. Plus extra battery power when I know I'll need it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I have RRS plates on my E-M1's and only use the HLD-7 with my biggest lenses - 50-200SWD and Nikon 180/2.8. I don't use it with for example the 7-14/2.8 or CV 17.5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    When I bought my E-M1, they threw in the HLD-7 among other things for free.

The only reasons I can see anyone using it is:
    1. Extra support and balance for larger lenses.
    2. Second battery compartment for doubling the shooting time without having to swap batteries.
    3. Having the extra shutter and buttons for portrait orientation shooting.

I rarely if ever used mine because:
    1. I only use small primes.
    2. No big deal swapping batteries.
    3. I mostly shoot in landscape orientation.

Lastly, I didn't like the bulk it added to the camera. Anyways, when I sold my E-M1, it was a nice added bonus for the buyer. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    hmm... mixed opinions about it here. Good point about changing the battery while doing time lapse. I've never done a time lapse though, but may be one day?

17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not a big grip guy, so I would've sold it right away. I must say that if I used the "but one day I might use this" rationale I'd need triple the storage space in my house (which is already too full of stuff I am not likely to use).

18. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    :) the timelapse stuff i do I usually end up using 4 plus batteries and end up pulling them off charges to cycle back into the camera :)

Really should buy the AC-3 cable