1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Should I sell my E-P1 for an EPL-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SimplyEd, Mar 19, 2010.

1. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Hi guys.

Need your advice guys.... Should I sell my E-P1 for an EPL-1?

I've been doing alot of videos with my e-p1 and I find the need to have manual control with my video exposure to achive what I want.

The E-P1 is a true beauty. To be honest, I love it more than my old DSLR. Its very compact and I can do lots of creative stuff with it. I've been thinkin of getting an EPL-1 just for the video... however.... I need to sacrifice my E-P1. but why not e-p2? (cn't afford it).

**sorry if my english grammar is not that good** :smile:

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ed, I can't answer this for you but there are some current owners of the E-PL1 who probably can give you some helpful insights.

From what I've read the E-PL1 offers a much easier interface, etc., that you're looking for but the videos are only so long...though I am not sure if that matters to you in your work.

Stay tuned and I'm sure you'll get some feedback!

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Ed, it would normally be a tough recommendation to give, but if you specifically want better exposure control for video I think you'd enjoy the E-PL1.

The only drawback would be lack of electronic levels and maximum shutter speed of 1/2000sec but the advantages probably outweigh the disadvantages.

The user interface has been improved slightly over the E-P1/2 imho - the one touch magnifier is excellent, and the built in flash is very well implemented.

The EVF is a very highly recommended add-on.

Cheers

Brian

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    You may consider a look at my post "The Good, Bad and not so Ugly" on the Olympus forum. I worked with the P1 and PL1 closely and had some conclusions of my own there.

5. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi

Not sure how you value or need the EVF, or what the pricing of the EVF is in the
    Philippines. Here in the UK the E-P2 body + EVF package is available for £749. The E-PL1
    body is £449, and the EVF cheapest prices are well over £200, making the E-PL1 + EVF a fair bit more than £649. For quite a bit less than £100, here in the UK, i wouldn't consider the E-PL1 against the E-P2. In the UK, the E-PL1 body + EVF package is not available. Obviously this is all irrelevant if you don't require the EVF, but just goes to show there is not a lot of difference in the price, (£71). Hope it all makes sense to you.

John.

Added a few links to the cheapest prices i can find in the UK.

EVF here

E-PL1 here

E-P2 + EVF here

6. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Thanks guys.... @ brian... the shutter speed of 1/2000 sec is the drawback. I need more than that when shooting models on the beach at daylight (which I often do). But I think ND filters will solve the prob... will see... Im planning to sell my DSLR and get the E-P2 instead..

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    The E-P2 would be my first choice, given the budget... with the E-PL1 a worthwhile backup, especially good for larger and legacy lenses.

Cheers

Brian

8. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    brian. I really like to see the full image of your avatar.... looks interesting.... please...

9. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Sure Ed, no problem...

Taken in February 2008, photographing winter wolves in Scotland by my friend Rich Simpson.

E-3 + 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD
    1/160s f/4.4 at 194.0mm iso640

Cheers

Brian

10. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    wow..... now I can see that the sealing really works.... nice capture... thanks brian...